    all the source files to our WIP folder on the domain controller.

    is there a way to set up my web apps for development and running off our
    domain controller?

    Dica, Nov 8, 2005

  2. The normal development process involves developers working in isolation (eg
    on localhost) until they have unit tested the code they are releasing. Then
    they release the application to a test or staging web server accessible to
    testers or end users for User Acceptance Testing. Finally, when signed off by
    those charged with it, it is released to the production server.

    You can obviously simplify this model according to whether you are a sole
    developer, or you're working in a team, whether there are testers or not, and
    how complex the application is.

    However, you should give thought to how you will manage the "software
    development lifecycle". Particularly, how will you carry out future
    development work and quality-control it without affecting end-users and
    business processes that may depend on your application.
    --
    Paul Taylor
    Dotcom Software Solutions

    =?Utf-8?B?RG90Y29t?=, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Dica

    Hans Kesting Guest

    Re: =?UTF-8?B?d2hlcmUgdG8gY3JlYXRlIEFTUC5OZXQgYXBwbGljYXRpb25z?=

    > i don't really want to set up web applications to run off http://localhost
    > as we generally try to keep all of our company projects in one central spot
    > on our primary domain controller which is routinely backed up (while my
    > localhost folder is not). if i try to select to create the domain controller
    > as the locaiton for a new .Net web application, i'm unable to proceed. if i
    > do have to run the applicaiton off localhost, i'd have to manually copy over
    > all the source files to our WIP folder on the domain controller.
    >
    > is there a way to set up my web apps for development and running off our
    > domain controller?

    You don't want to debug from a central server. I don't know if it *can*
    work, but you will
    a) block all other use (and I think it's IIS-wide!)
    b) be constantly annoyed because other users cause your breakpoints to
    be hit

    What you *should* do is use a source control system. One choice is
    SourceSafe (from Microsoft). Then your "central version" is the one in
    the sourcecontrol system, which should be backed-up.

    Hans Kesting

    Hans Kesting, Nov 8, 2005