where to create ASP.Net applications

Dica

i don't really want to set up web applications to run off http://localhost
as we generally try to keep all of our company projects in one central spot
on our primary domain controller which is routinely backed up (while my
localhost folder is not). if i try to select to create the domain controller
as the locaiton for a new .Net web application, i'm unable to proceed. if i
do have to run the applicaiton off localhost, i'd have to manually copy over
all the source files to our WIP folder on the domain controller.

is there a way to set up my web apps for development and running off our
domain controller?

Guest

The normal development process involves developers working in isolation (eg
on localhost) until they have unit tested the code they are releasing. Then
they release the application to a test or staging web server accessible to
testers or end users for User Acceptance Testing. Finally, when signed off by
those charged with it, it is released to the production server.

You can obviously simplify this model according to whether you are a sole
developer, or you're working in a team, whether there are testers or not, and
how complex the application is.

However, you should give thought to how you will manage the "software
development lifecycle". Particularly, how will you carry out future
development work and quality-control it without affecting end-users and
business processes that may depend on your application.

Hans Kesting

i don't really want to set up web applications to run off http://localhost
as we generally try to keep all of our company projects in one central spot
on our primary domain controller which is routinely backed up (while my
localhost folder is not). if i try to select to create the domain controller
as the locaiton for a new .Net web application, i'm unable to proceed. if i
do have to run the applicaiton off localhost, i'd have to manually copy over
all the source files to our WIP folder on the domain controller.

is there a way to set up my web apps for development and running off our
domain controller?

You don't want to debug from a central server. I don't know if it *can*
work, but you will
a) block all other use (and I think it's IIS-wide!)
b) be constantly annoyed because other users cause your breakpoints to
be hit

What you *should* do is use a source control system. One choice is
SourceSafe (from Microsoft). Then your "central version" is the one in
the sourcecontrol system, which should be backed-up.

Hans Kesting