Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?

Joined
Feb 19, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
It may not help the OP as some time passed but for these looking near $5 private JVM
try jvmhost and ask for discount - I managed to get 25%. And if you need Java EE for your project try TomEE.
Alberto

I've been working on my AT-Robots program
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/at-robots2-j/>, and I'm getting ready
to create a "Tournament Server" for it. Basically, what that means is a
webapp where someone can upload their robot definitions to compete
against the others that have already been uploaded. I think this is a
necessary next step in order to start building a community around my
project, but I don't really have excess capital to spend on an otherwise
free project.

I do have my own personal "server", but it lives in my house and isn't
very "stable". I've also looked into nosupportlinuxhosting.com, and
while I can get Java to start up with a *lot* of finagling, it doesn't
seem likely to be useful to me as a host for this kind of work.

Just thinking out loud here, maybe the free (for a year) Micro Instance
in EC2 is the way to go, but I don't know if that's "big" enough for a
Java web-app. Anyone have experience with that?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking to spend < $5/mo
if possible. At this point traffic will be fairly minimal, and free is
best, but it has to work well enough when it is used. I'm not concerned
about scalability at first, since when I do need to scale, I'll probably
be able to monetize at least a little and use that to pay for a real host.

Thanks everyone,
Daniel.