where to find good patterns and sources of patterns (was Re: singletons)

Discussion in 'C++' started by crichmon, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. crichmon

    crichmon Guest

    "Jonathan Turkanis" <> wrote:
    > "johny smith" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone point me to some good articles on how
    >> to create singleton objects and how to access
    >> operations within a singleton object.

    > 1. Design Patterns, by Gamma et al, Ch. 3 -- classic
    > description of the pattern
    > 2. Modern C++ Design, Alexandrescu Ch. 6 -- thorough
    > discussion and ingenious implementation of C++ singletons
    >
    > Once you've absorbed these, you might want to look at
    > the recents stuff on the double-checked locking
    > pattern by Alexandrescu and Meyers.

    Any particular patterns (besides the ones mentioned) that people find to be
    especially useful?

    Besides the Design Patterns book, I have the Pattern-Oriented Software
    Architecture Vol. 1 book, and those have been my main sources for patterns.

    Are there any specific books people would recommend for more patterns?

    crichmon

    crichmon, Jul 6, 2004

  2. * crichmon:

    > Are there any specific books people would recommend for more patterns?

    Software engineering is unfortunately mostly about applying poorly
    understood cookbook recipes.

    As a consequence, most projects fail or end up over time and budget
    and under spec.

    Good software engineering, especially in C++, is about applying
    intelligence and sound judgement, and you won't find that in any book;
    at best you can find "patterns" that have occurred because intelligence
    and sound judgement has been applied, but you in spite of well-documented
    patterns specifying forces and such you won't find any cookbook recipe
    that can substitute for intelligence and judgement in applying a
    pattern, and when you do have that you won't need the pattern description
    because you'll see the relevant patterns yourself (most patterns are the
    very trivial _conclusions_ resulting from given constraints, in disguise).

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Jul 6, 2004

  3. crichmon

    crichmon Guest

    "Alf P. Steinbach" <> wrote:
    > * crichmon:
    >
    >> Are there any specific books people would recommend
    >> for more patterns?

    > Software engineering is unfortunately mostly about
    > applying poorly understood cookbook recipes.
    >
    > As a consequence, most projects fail or end up over
    > time and budget and under spec.
    >
    > Good software engineering, especially in C++, is
    > about applying intelligence and sound judgement, and
    > you won't find that in any book;

    That wasn't what I was asking for. :) While I don't claim to be all that
    intelligent, I am aware of the difference between knowledge and the wisdom
    needed to apply specific knowledge properly.

    > at best you can find "patterns" that have occurred
    > because intelligence and sound judgement has been
    > applied...

    Yes, are there any particular sources that you could recommend?

    > ... but you in spite of well-documented patterns
    > specifying forces and such you won't find any
    > cookbook recipe that can substitute for intelligence
    > and judgement in applying a pattern,

    > and when you do have that you won't need the pattern
    > description because you'll see the relevant patterns
    > yourself (most patterns are the very trivial
    > _conclusions_ resulting from given constraints, in
    > disguise).

    Perhaps I titled the subject wrong in my post... but your reaction is not at
    all what I expected!

    I have found that the general study of patterns successfully applied by
    other software developers has increased my understanding of software
    development. So part of my desire to find more patterns is simply for the
    sake of learning more about software development.

    I have also found that some patterns I've read about can be usefully applied
    to projects I'm working on. I was thankful that I could use that
    information rather than having to re-invent it myself.

    crichmon

    crichmon, Jul 6, 2004
  4. crichmon

    jeffc Guest

    "Alf P. Steinbach" <> wrote in message

    > Software engineering is unfortunately mostly about applying poorly
    > understood cookbook recipes.
    >
    > As a consequence, most projects fail or end up over time and budget
    > and under spec.
    >
    > Good software engineering, especially in C++, is about applying
    > intelligence and sound judgement, and you won't find that in any book;

    yada yada yada <additional pseudo-intellectual non-answers to the original
    question snipped>

    jeffc, Jul 6, 2004
  5. crichmon

    Mabden Guest

    "crichmon" <> wrote in message
    > "Alf P. Steinbach" <> wrote:
    > > * crichmon:
    > >
    > >> Are there any specific books people would recommend
    > >> for more patterns?

    > I have found that the general study of patterns successfully applied by
    > other software developers has increased my understanding of software
    > development. So part of my desire to find more patterns is simply for the
    > sake of learning more about software development.
    >
    > I have also found that some patterns I've read about can be usefully

    applied
    > to projects I'm working on. I was thankful that I could use that
    > information rather than having to re-invent it myself.

    [OT] MS Visual Basic Design Patterns, but it is specifically target to VB.
    It has Adapter, Bridge, etc., but also Object by Value, and
    Repository...[/OT]
    For instance the Adapter pattern talks about adding a new interface to a C++
    ActiveX control, not just another VB class. It also discusses Opaque and
    Transparent Object Adapters. So it adds new insight to the work done by the
    Gang of Four, [OT] especially if you use more than one language [/OT].

    --
    Mabden

    Mabden, Jul 7, 2004