    look at them. For example, right now I hope to look at JFrame's file,
    JFrame.java. I forgot where to it is installed. Could you give me a hint?

    Thank you.
    Shawn, Jan 3, 2007

  2. Shawn

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Shawn" <> wrote in message
    news:enh5e8$4jb$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I remember Java source files are installed somewhere and I can take a look
    > at them. For example, right now I hope to look at JFrame's file,
    > JFrame.java. I forgot where to it is installed. Could you give me a hint?

    Hint: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\src.zip

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Jan 3, 2007

  3. Oliver Wong wrote:
    > "Shawn" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I remember Java source files are installed somewhere and I can take a look
    >>at them. For example, right now I hope to look at JFrame's file,
    >>JFrame.java. I forgot where to it is installed. Could you give me a hint?

    > Hint: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\src.zip

    I love my IDE. Instead of my having to remember this kind of crap, the
    IDE remembers it for me and all I have to do is type

    JFrame foo;

    somewhere random in an editor, double click "JFrame", and right click
    and select "Open Declaration". Presto: Sun's source code for JFrame. It
    can be configured not just for rt.jar but third-party libraries as well.
    You can also configure the WWW location of their API docs and your own
    generated documentation will link to the API docs, as well as
    shift-F2(?) letting you send the Web browser of your choice to the
    online docs for any given identifier, say ListIterator.

    (You can also point the docs at locally-installed copies and browse them
    likewise, but it won't generate links to them in generated
    documentation. The documentation you generated would have File: URLs
    that wouldn't work when you published the documentation. Point at the
    online copy of library docs, though, and your generated documentation
    links to the official library docs at the library's official website.)
    John Ersatznom, Jan 4, 2007
  4. John Ersatznom <> burped up warm pablum in

    > I love my IDE. Instead of my having to remember this kind of crap, the
    > IDE remembers it for me and all I have to do is type

    God god man! Have you taken leave of your senses? Never, never admit to
    using an IDE instead of the command line in this group. You are likely to
    be tarred and feathered or worse: denounced to the authorities.

    --
    Tris Orendorff
    [Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?
    Tris Orendorff, Jan 5, 2007
  5. "Tris Orendorff" <> wrote in message
    > John Ersatznom <> burped up warm pablum in
    >
    >> I love my IDE. Instead of my having to remember this kind of crap, the
    >> IDE remembers it for me and all I have to do is type

    > God god man! Have you taken leave of your senses? Never, never admit to
    > using an IDE instead of the command line in this group. You are likely to
    > be tarred and feathered or worse: denounced to the authorities.

    LOL

    I do not believe people here are opposed to an IDE in general - the problem
    comes with people wanting to use an IDE as an excuse to not learn how to use
    the command line.

    --
    LTP

    :)
    Luc The Perverse, Jan 5, 2007
  6. Luc The Perverse wrote:
    > "Tris Orendorff" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>John Ersatznom <> burped up warm pablum in
    >>

    >>>I love my IDE. Instead of my having to remember this kind of crap, the
    >>>IDE remembers it for me and all I have to do is type

    >>God god man! Have you taken leave of your senses? Never, never admit to
    >>using an IDE instead of the command line in this group. You are likely to
    >>be tarred and feathered or worse: denounced to the authorities.

    > LOL
    >
    > I do not believe people here are opposed to an IDE in general - the problem
    > comes with people wanting to use an IDE as an excuse to not learn how to use
    > the command line.

    Commandlines are overrated anywho. They're like fumbling around in the
    dark with a flashlight, when you could just turn on a light. The only
    area where they are better than other interfaces is when they're
    scripted or used to dump a whole bunch of information as text or
    something -- in other words, when it's a *computer* using them. That,
    and as the last-resort user interface to an otherwise-failed system
    (fancy graphics modes notworky, or headless system needs to be
    remote-administered manually rather than through a nice client for some
    reason). What do graphical interfaces do poorly at after all? Single
    user actions? No. It's things like renaming a whole bunch of files in a
    pattern and such. Even moving big piles of files is GUI-friendly.
    Basically, if it isn't easily done in a modern GUI it needs to be
    scripted or otherwise automated.
    John Ersatznom, Jan 8, 2007
  7. John Ersatznom wrote:
    > Luc The Perverse wrote:
    >> I do not believe people here are opposed to an IDE in general - the
    >> problem comes with people wanting to use an IDE as an excuse to not
    >> learn how to use the command line.

    > Commandlines are overrated anywho. They're like fumbling around in the
    > dark with a flashlight, when you could just turn on a light. The only
    > area where they are better than other interfaces is when they're
    > scripted or used to dump a whole bunch of information as text or
    > something -- in other words, when it's a *computer* using them. That,
    > and as the last-resort user interface to an otherwise-failed system
    > (fancy graphics modes notworky, or headless system needs to be
    > remote-administered manually rather than through a nice client for some
    > reason). What do graphical interfaces do poorly at after all? Single
    > user actions? No. It's things like renaming a whole bunch of files in a
    > pattern and such. Even moving big piles of files is GUI-friendly.
    > Basically, if it isn't easily done in a modern GUI it needs to be
    > scripted or otherwise automated.

    You completely missed the point.

    It was not a whether to use command line or GUI post.

    The point was that people who could use the command line
    would have an understanding of what the IDE does for them
    that makes them capable of solving problems that arise when
    they use the IDE.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Jan 9, 2007
  8. Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > You completely missed the point.

    You completely missed your Friday 3:00 class, "Diplomacy 101". Please do
    get your attendance up; midterms are in February you know, little more
    than a month from now. :)

    > The point was that people who could use the command line
    > would have an understanding of what the IDE does for them
    > that makes them capable of solving problems that arise when
    > they use the IDE.

    To wit, the IDE basically lets them turn on the room lights instead of
    poking around in the dark with a flashlight. As for problems arising
    with an IDE, this may need you need to: complain/submit a bug report;
    work around the problem; get a different IDE; or figure out the workings
    of the IDE and other tools (but not some archaic shell) and fix them.
    John Ersatznom, Jan 15, 2007