    it have to be Microsoft certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented
    programming certifications?

    thanks
    JPK, Jun 18, 2007

  2. JPK wrote:
    > I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study and
    > then get a certification. What is best (online/mail) certication?

    I'll print you a certificate. What should it say? Yes, it's going to
    be as worthless as any other you can find online. If I were to hire
    you, even I am not going to accept it. Neither will anybody else worth
    working for. Nor will I accept any other "certificate".

    > Where can I do tests for it (online/mail)? What is the most
    > respectable certification?

    A long resume with several good projects mentioned, written in C++, in
    which you played a significant role. That'll get your foot in the door,
    so to speak.

    > Does it have to be Microsoft
    > certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented programming
    > certifications?

    Anything concerning Microsoft you should ask in a Microsoft newsgroup.
    Please refer to 'microsoft.public.*' hierarchy.

    Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There
    is no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any
    C++ certification you can obtain is usually not worth the paper it's
    printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
    working on a project instead.

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 18, 2007

  3. JPK

    JPK Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > JPK wrote:
    > Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There
    > is no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any
    > C++ certification you can obtain is usually not worth the paper it's
    > printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
    > working on a project instead.

    wow, interesting idea! So , you are saying, that proof of working
    (finishing) in projects is more valuable than papers? But, dont you agree,
    that if one gets a very good Microsoft C++ test papers, it has some value?
    At least it means, that you know all the theory around C++ (like you know
    all the STL classes, you know what is inheritance etc.).

    btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years gap. What
    do you think is best to do to get a good CV? You might say: "Start to work
    as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is, that I cannot get a job
    becouse of my gap. Of course start working as a programmer is best, but the
    problem is that I cannot get one! So, studying (getting a paper) might be
    the solution to prove that I have the skills. What do you think?
    JPK, Jun 18, 2007
  4. JPK

    JPK Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > JPK wrote:
    > printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
    > working on a project instead.

    You mean working for free? Getting involved in some project where they do
    not pay?The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a programming job ->
    dont have a good resume -> cannot get a programming job .... you know what
    I mean? ...
    JPK, Jun 18, 2007
  5. JPK wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >> JPK wrote:
    >> Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There is
    >> no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any C++
    >> certification you can obtain is usually not worth the
    >> paper it's printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more
    >> valuable, start working on a project instead.

    > wow, interesting idea! So , you are saying, that proof of working
    > (finishing) in projects is more valuable than papers?

    Yes, that's what I am saying. It's off-topic here, however. Do you
    have a C++ language question?

    > But, dont you
    > agree, that if one gets a very good Microsoft C++ test papers, it has
    > some value?

    No.

    > At least it means, that you know all the theory around
    > C++ (like you know all the STL classes, you know what is inheritance
    > etc.).

    Doesn't mean anything except there is an online dispenser of papers
    with some words printed on them, among which you can find "C++".

    > btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years gap.

    <shrug> So?

    > What do you think is best to do to get a good CV?

    Good honest work.

    > You might say:
    > "Start to work as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is, that I
    > cannot get a job becouse of my gap.

    <shrug> Were you in a coma? You don't have to answer. Get what you
    can, support your aspirations, work on educating yourself in the mean
    time.

    > Of course start working as a
    > programmer is best, but the problem is that I cannot get one!

    Get something close, like in a QA department. Or Technical Support.

    > So,
    > studying (getting a paper) might be the solution to prove that I
    > have the skills. What do you think?

    You can look for papers or you can look for work. Either way you're
    going to have to invest time and effort. I am saying that looking for
    papers is far less productive use of your time.

    Again, this is all off-topic. Find yourself a recruiter and talk to
    him, they know more tricks that can land you a decent job soon.

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 18, 2007
  6. JPK wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >> JPK wrote:
    >> printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
    >> working on a project instead.

    > You mean working for free?

    No, I don't mean for free.

    > Getting involved in some project where
    > they do not pay?

    Get involved in the projects that do pay.

    >The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a
    > programming job -> dont have a good resume -> cannot get a
    > programming job .... you know what I mean? ...

    No, I don't know what you mean.

    There is an old saying "He who wants to accomplish his goals
    find the means; he who doesn't, finds an excuse". Start looking
    for ways to get a job at least close to what you want to end up
    doing. First goal: get a job in the same building as C++ group
    and with the same shift as C++ group, so you can at least talk to
    them.

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 18, 2007
  7. JPK

    Guest

    On Jun 18, 9:13 am, "JPK"
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study and then
    > get a certification. What is best (online/mail) certication? Where can I do
    > tests for it (online/mail)? What is the most respectable certification? Does
    > it have to be Microsoft certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented
    > programming certifications?

    The best respectable certifications are: BA, BS, MS, MA, PhD, JD, MD,
    and JSD.

    I would not waste any money on any other C++ certification.
    , Jun 18, 2007
  8. On 2007-06-18 16:13, JPK wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >> JPK wrote:
    >> printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
    >> working on a project instead.

    > You mean working for free? Getting involved in some project where they do
    > not pay?The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a programming job ->
    > dont have a good resume -> cannot get a programming job .... you know what
    > I mean? ...

    Now that's an idea, there are lots of places where they would love some
    extra help. Go to sourceforge or freshmeat and find a project that seems
    interesting, find a bug or something to add in that project and submit
    patches. If you are good you will get your code committed and when your
    potential employer asks you about your previous experiences you can
    claim you have been working on open source projects, while it might not
    be as good as paid work you don't have to pay for it and your potential
    employer might value actual code more than papers (I probably would).

    --
    Erik Wikström
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Jun 18, 2007
  9. wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 9:13 am, "JPK"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study
    >> and then get a certification. What is best (online/mail)
    >> certication? Where can I do tests for it (online/mail)? What is the
    >> most respectable certification? Does it have to be Microsoft
    >> certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented programming
    >> certifications?

    > The best respectable certifications are: BA, BS, MS, MA, PhD, JD, MD,
    > and JSD.

    Depends on who's giving them...

    > I would not waste any money on any other C++ certification.

    I would not waste any money on BA, or JD, or MD, or JSD, in C++, no
    matter from whom. Maybe, just *maybe*, DPS.

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 18, 2007
  10. JPK

    JPK Guest

    Erik Wikström wrote:
    > On 2007-06-18 16:13, JPK wrote:
    >> Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >>> JPK wrote:
    >>> printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
    >>> working on a project instead.

    >> You mean working for free? Getting involved in some project where
    >> they do not pay?The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a
    >> programming job -> dont have a good resume -> cannot get a
    >> programming job .... you know what I mean? ...

    > Now that's an idea, there are lots of places where they would love
    > some extra help. Go to sourceforge or freshmeat and find a project
    > that seems interesting, find a bug or something to add in that
    > project and submit patches. If you are good you will get your code
    > committed and when your potential employer asks you about your
    > previous experiences you can claim you have been working on open
    > source projects, while it might not be as good as paid work you don't
    > have to pay for it and your potential employer might value actual
    > code more than papers (I probably would).

    thanks for an idea
    JPK, Jun 18, 2007
  11. JPK

    shadowman Guest

    JPK wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >> JPK wrote:
    >> Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There
    >> is no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any
    >> C++ certification you can obtain is usually not worth the paper it's
    >> printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
    >> working on a project instead.

    > wow, interesting idea! So , you are saying, that proof of working
    > (finishing) in projects is more valuable than papers? But, dont you agree,
    > that if one gets a very good Microsoft C++ test papers, it has some value?
    > At least it means, that you know all the theory around C++ (like you know
    > all the STL classes, you know what is inheritance etc.).
    >
    > btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years gap. What
    > do you think is best to do to get a good CV? You might say: "Start to work
    > as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is, that I cannot get a job
    > becouse of my gap. Of course start working as a programmer is best, but the
    > problem is that I cannot get one! So, studying (getting a paper) might be
    > the solution to prove that I have the skills. What do you think?

    I'm not sure where you're located, but in my area you'd be able to find
    a few job offers through a tech recruiter. They're often not the best
    jobs, and usually are temporary (6 months to a year) positions, but they
    generally pay well and might be a good way to get your career back on
    track.
    shadowman, Jun 18, 2007
  12. JPK

    *PaN!* Guest

    "JPK" <> wrote in message

    > btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years gap. What
    > do you think is best to do to get a good CV? You might say: "Start to
    > work as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is, that I cannot get a job
    > becouse of my gap.

    If you're good, everyone can see, even with 5 years gap in "working"
    experience of C++, if you're or not a good C++ programmer.
    If you think you're not good enough, the best thing to do (imho) is not
    paying someone to write on a paper that you're good, but rather getting paid
    (maybe a little less) to work on a C++ project and learn something.

    > Of course start working as a programmer is best, but the problem is that I
    > cannot get one! So, studying (getting a paper) might be the solution to
    > prove that I have
    > the skills.

    Another solution to prove that you have the skills is to work (in your spare
    time, if you can't do that in other moments) for an opensource project...
    this will do the job, and help you finding contacts.

    --
    Marco
    *PaN!*, Jun 20, 2007
  13. JPK

    JPK Guest

    *PaN!* wrote:
    > "JPK" <> wrote in
    > message news:khwdi.2496$...
    >
    >> btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years
    >> gap. What do you think is best to do to get a good CV? You might
    >> say: "Start to work as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is,
    >> that I cannot get a job becouse of my gap.

    > If you're good, everyone can see, even with 5 years gap in "working"
    > experience of C++, if you're or not a good C++ programmer.
    > If you think you're not good enough, the best thing to do (imho) is
    > not paying someone to write on a paper that you're good, but rather
    > getting paid (maybe a little less) to work on a C++ project and learn
    > something.
    >> Of course start working as a programmer is best, but the problem is
    >> that I cannot get one! So, studying (getting a paper) might be the
    >> solution to prove that I have
    >> the skills.

    > Another solution to prove that you have the skills is to work (in
    > your spare time, if you can't do that in other moments) for an
    > opensource project... this will do the job, and help you finding
    > contacts.

    ok, thanks. interesting idea. of course the problem is that it would be
    working without getting paid ..
    JPK, Jun 21, 2007