Where to host a (Python) project?

Discussion in 'Python' started by andrew cooke, Jan 31, 2009.

  1. andrew cooke

    andrew cooke Guest

    Hi,

    I have a new project, that I just released in beta (http://
    www.acooke.org/lepl - a recursive decent parser with full
    backtracking). At the moment I am using pypi and setuptools for
    distribution (it's a pure python package) and I am happy with hosting
    static web pages (the manual and api doc linked to above) on my own
    site (I did try the packages.python.org web pages, but it seemed
    pointless duplicating my own).

    However, i am thinking I could really do with:
    - a mailing list
    - simple bug tracking
    - subversion
    and am wondering which is the best (free) provider for these (the code
    is LGPL open source). I'd prefer a mailing list to something like
    google groups (although I guess it may be possible to configure a
    gateway) and I could open up my personal subversion server, but that
    seems like a lot of work (not really that interested in moving to
    something other than svn).

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks,
    Andrew
    andrew cooke, Jan 31, 2009

  2. andrew cooke

    Martin Guest

    Hi,

    2009/1/31 andrew cooke <>:
    > However, i am thinking I could really do with:
    > - a mailing list
    > - simple bug tracking
    > - subversion
    > and am wondering which is the best (free) provider for these (the code
    > is LGPL open source). I'd prefer a mailing list to something like
    > google groups (although I guess it may be possible to configure a
    > gateway) and I could open up my personal subversion server, but that
    > seems like a lot of work (not really that interested in moving to
    > something other than svn).

    Google Groups can be perfectly used as Mailings Lists - while I'm not
    a huge fan of them that isn't an argument from your feature list :)

    There's tigris.org, savannah (savannah.gnu.org, nongnu.org),
    launchpad. All of them are fine to some extent, you might want to read
    up on PyMotW about how Doug Hellmann decided where to host his stuff.

    hth
    Martin
    --
    http://soup.alt.delete.co.at
    http://www.xing.com/profile/Martin_Marcher

    You are not free to read this message,
    by doing so, you have violated my licence
    and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.

    Martin, Jan 31, 2009

  3. andrew cooke

    andrew cooke Guest

    On Jan 31, 9:59 am, Martin <> wrote:
    > There's tigris.org, savannah (savannah.gnu.org, nongnu.org),
    > launchpad. All of them are fine to some extent, you might want to read
    > up on PyMotW about how Doug Hellmann decided where to host his stuff.

    all i can find is that he is writing his own!
    http://blog.doughellmann.com/search/label/codehosting
    (his reqs are quite different to mine - I am looking for an external
    provider because I do not want to host dynamic pages myself).

    anyway, if that was what you mean, fine - i just wonder if i am
    missing something?

    thanks,
    andrew
    andrew cooke, Jan 31, 2009
  4. andrew cooke

    Martin Guest

    2009/1/31 andrew cooke <>:
    > On Jan 31, 9:59 am, Martin <> wrote:
    >> There's tigris.org, savannah (savannah.gnu.org, nongnu.org),
    >> launchpad. All of them are fine to some extent, you might want to read
    >> up on PyMotW about how Doug Hellmann decided where to host his stuff.

    > all i can find is that he is writing his own!
    > http://blog.doughellmann.com/search/label/codehosting
    > (his reqs are quite different to mine - I am looking for an external
    > provider because I do not want to host dynamic pages myself).

    Darn, my bad. I just remembered that something happened in terms of
    hosting on his site, I thought he had decided on this:

    http://blog.doughellmann.com/2008/12/moving-pymotw-to-public-repository.html
    (seems he didn't have any time...)

    anyway, tigris, nongnu and savannah are hopefully at least useable
    information :)

    /Martin

    Martin, Jan 31, 2009
  5. On Jan 31, 12:46 pm, andrew cooke <> wrote:
    > Any recommendations?

    Google Code seems fine.
    Michele Simionato, Jan 31, 2009
  6. andrew cooke

    eliben Guest

    andrew cooke wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a new project, that I just released in beta (http://
    > www.acooke.org/lepl - a recursive decent parser with full
    > backtracking). At the moment I am using pypi and setuptools for
    > distribution (it's a pure python package) and I am happy with hosting
    > static web pages (the manual and api doc linked to above) on my own
    > site (I did try the packages.python.org web pages, but it seemed
    > pointless duplicating my own).
    >
    > However, i am thinking I could really do with:
    > - a mailing list
    > - simple bug tracking
    > - subversion

    code.google.com provides all of these in a free and convenient manner.
    Recommended.
    eliben, Jan 31, 2009
  7. andrew cooke

    andrew cooke Guest

    On Jan 31, 11:22 am, eliben <> wrote:
    > code.google.com provides all of these in a free and convenient manner.
    > Recommended.

    unfortunately google don't seem that reliable ;o) (have you tried a
    google search today?)
    andrew cooke, Jan 31, 2009
  8. andrew cooke wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 11:22 am, eliben <> wrote:
    >> code.google.com provides all of these in a free and convenient manner.
    >> Recommended.

    > unfortunately google don't seem that reliable ;o) (have you tried a
    > google search today?)

    I had a search problem today (10:00),
    the first I can remember, in which the
    response from a Google pointer was:

    Warning - visiting this web site may
    harm your computer!

    Yes, this is not Python related but I
    think that it is likely of general
    interest.

    Now, at 12:00, I get the page I was seeking.

    Colin W.
    Colin J. Williams, Jan 31, 2009
  9. andrew cooke

    ajaksu Guest

    On Jan 31, 1:03 pm, andrew cooke <> wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 11:22 am, eliben <> wrote:
    >
    > > code.google.com provides all of these in a free and convenient manner.
    > > Recommended.

    > unfortunately google don't seem that reliable ;o)  (have you tried a
    > google search today?)

    You can mirror at LP, bitbucket, github, etc.
    ajaksu, Jan 31, 2009
  10. On 31 Gen, 12:46, andrew cooke <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a new project, that I just released in beta (http://www.acooke.org/lepl- a recursive decent parser with full
    > backtracking).  At the moment I am using pypi and setuptools for
    > distribution (it's a pure python package) and I am happy with hosting
    > static web pages (the manual and api doc linked to above) on my own
    > site (I did try the packages.python.org web pages, but it seemed
    > pointless duplicating my own).
    >
    > However, i am thinking I could really do with:
    > - a mailing list
    > - simple bug tracking
    > - subversion
    > and am wondering which is the best (free) provider for these (the code
    > is LGPL open source).  I'd prefer a mailing list to something like
    > google groups (although I guess it may be possible to configure a
    > gateway) and I could open up my personal subversion server, but that
    > seems like a lot of work (not really that interested in moving to
    > something other than svn).
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andrew

    Google Code.

    --- Giampaolo
    http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib
    Giampaolo Rodola', Jan 31, 2009
  11. I use Google Code.
    Andrey Demidov, Jan 31, 2009
  12. andrew cooke

    andrew cooke Guest

    On Jan 31, 4:50 pm, "Giampaolo Rodola'" <> wrote:
    > Google Code.
    >
    > --- Giampaolohttp://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib

    thanks - that's a nice example. i'm a bit concerned about the whole
    google corporation thing, but reading through the ideological check-
    sheet at savannah convinced me i wasn't worthy and your project looks
    good (i admit i haven't seen that many google projects, but they all
    seemed abandoned/bare/hostile). so i'll follow the majority here and
    give google code a go.

    cheers,
    andrew
    andrew cooke, Jan 31, 2009
  13. andrew cooke

    Jesse Noller Guest

    On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM, andrew cooke <> wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 4:50 pm, "Giampaolo Rodola'" <> wrote:
    >> Google Code.
    >>
    >> --- Giampaolohttp://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib

    > thanks - that's a nice example. i'm a bit concerned about the whole
    > google corporation thing, but reading through the ideological check-
    > sheet at savannah convinced me i wasn't worthy and your project looks
    > good (i admit i haven't seen that many google projects, but they all
    > seemed abandoned/bare/hostile). so i'll follow the majority here and
    > give google code a go.
    >
    > cheers,
    > andrew

    Bitbucket: http://bitbucket.org/ (I use this, move from google code)
    Github: http://github.com/
    Launchapd: https://launchpad.net/
    FreeHG: http://freehg.org/

    Google is nice due to the groups/mailing list options, but I find I
    don't miss mailing lists all that much after being subscribed to so
    many.

    -jesse
    Jesse Noller, Feb 1, 2009
  14. andrew cooke

    Roy H. Han Guest

    I really like WebFaction for web-based Python projects. It's a paid
    web-hosting service, though. What I like is how they always have the
    most up-to-date Python packages and frameworks using one-click
    installers.

    Roy H. Han, Feb 1, 2009
  15. andrew cooke

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    andrew cooke <> wrote:

    >However, i am thinking I could really do with:
    >- a mailing list
    >- simple bug tracking
    >- subversion
    >and am wondering which is the best (free) provider for these (the code
    >is LGPL open source). I'd prefer a mailing list to something like
    >google groups (although I guess it may be possible to configure a
    >gateway) and I could open up my personal subversion server, but that
    >seems like a lot of work (not really that interested in moving to
    >something other than svn).

    Note that it's fairly easy to get a new list hosted at python.org, just
    ask postmaster. I for one won't participate in any list hosted on
    Google because of the need for a Google login.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    Aahz, Feb 1, 2009
  16. andrew cooke

    andrew cooke Guest

    On Feb 1, 8:45 pm, (Aahz) wrote:
    > Note that it's fairly easy to get a new list hosted at python.org, just
    > ask postmaster.  I for one won't participate in any list hosted on
    > Google because of the need for a Google login.

    ah well - i guess you can use pyparsing ;o)

    http://code.google.com/p/lepl/

    andrew
    andrew cooke, Feb 2, 2009
  17. andrew cooke

    andrew cooke Guest

    On Feb 1, 8:45 pm, (Aahz) wrote:
    > [...] I for one won't participate in any list hosted on
    > Google because of the need for a Google login.

    hi, just fyi, i investigated this and you can join any publicly
    readable group by sending an email to the "-subscribe" address. you
    do not need a google login for this and, as far as i can tell, it then
    operates for you like a normal mailing list.

    for example, to subscribe to the group foo, you would send an email to
    . to unsubscribe, use foo-
    .

    this isn't exactly well-publicised, but i tested it and it does work.

    andrew
    andrew cooke, Feb 2, 2009
  18. andrew cooke

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    andrew cooke <> wrote:
    >On Feb 1, 8:45=A0pm, (Aahz) wrote:
    >>
    >> [...]=A0I for one won't participate in any list hosted on
    >> Google because of the need for a Google login.

    >hi, just fyi, i investigated this and you can join any publicly
    >readable group by sending an email to the "-subscribe" address. you
    >do not need a google login for this and, as far as i can tell, it then
    >operates for you like a normal mailing list.
    >
    >for example, to subscribe to the group foo, you would send an email to
    >. to unsubscribe, use foo-
    >.
    >
    >this isn't exactly well-publicised, but i tested it and it does work.

    The same thing is theoretically true for Yahoo groups, but I've heard
    from people over the years about various difficulties fixing problems
    with list subscriptions in the absence of a real Yahoo login and I'm not
    particularly interested in finding out that the same thing ends up being
    true for Google lists.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    Aahz, Feb 5, 2009