    access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so cannot define DirectoryIndex or
    DocumentRoot.

    zaphod

    zaphod, Jun 21, 2005

  2. zaphod <> wrote in
    news:42b808e1$0$3143$:

    > My ISP only allows perl scripts to run from within a cgi directory
    > outside the document root. Since I can't use Embperl or anything
    > similar how can I use a perl script as my index page, ie. index.cgi or
    > index.pl? I have no access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so cannot
    > define DirectoryIndex or DocumentRoot.

    This is not a Perl question, but rather a web server configuration
    question. Your ISP seems to be in the best position to offer you an
    answer.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jun 21, 2005

  3. zaphod

    zaphod Guest

    A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    > zaphod <> wrote in
    >

    >>My ISP only allows perl scripts to run from within a cgi directory
    >>outside the document root. Since I can't use Embperl or anything
    >>similar how can I use a perl script as my index page, ie. index.cgi or
    >>index.pl? I have no access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so cannot
    >>define DirectoryIndex or DocumentRoot.

    > This is not a Perl question, but rather a web server configuration
    > question. Your ISP seems to be in the best position to offer you an
    > answer.
    >
    > Sinan

    My guess is that you know the answer and it takes just as many words of
    typing to be arsy so why not just answer the question?

    zaphod

    zaphod, Jun 21, 2005
  4. On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:32:33 +0100, zaphod wrote:

    > My ISP only allows perl scripts to run from within a cgi directory outside
    > the document root. Since I can't use Embperl or anything similar how can I
    > use a perl script as my index page, ie. index.cgi or index.pl? I have no
    > access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so cannot define DirectoryIndex or
    > DocumentRoot.

    You could use a meta tag to redirect the browser, something like this:

    Google for it.

    Rich

    Richard Gration, Jun 21, 2005
  5. zaphod

    Brian Wakem Guest

    zaphod wrote:

    > My ISP only allows perl scripts to run from within a cgi directory outside
    > the document root. Since I can't use Embperl or anything similar how can I
    > use a perl script as my index page, ie. index.cgi or index.pl? I have no
    > access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so cannot define DirectoryIndex or
    > DocumentRoot.
    >
    > zaphod

    With so little control I can see only one option. Create index.html with
    the following content.

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE></TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>

    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    You might want to add a link to the page "If you are not automatically
    redirected, please click here".

    --
    Brian Wakem

    Brian Wakem, Jun 21, 2005
  6. zaphod <> wrote in

    > A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >
    >> zaphod <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>My ISP only allows perl scripts to run from within a cgi directory
    >>>outside the document root. Since I can't use Embperl or anything
    >>>similar how can I use a perl script as my index page, ie. index.cgi
    >>>or index.pl? I have no access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so
    >>>cannot define DirectoryIndex or DocumentRoot.

    >> This is not a Perl question, but rather a web server configuration
    >> question. Your ISP seems to be in the best position to offer you an
    >> answer.

    > My guess is that you know the answer and it takes just as many words
    > of typing to be arsy so why not just answer the question?

    Actually, I don't know the answer. However, the best option would be to
    ask your ISP to kindly insert the appropriate line in the applicable
    ..htaccess file. I do not see why you are trying to circumvent your ISP
    rather than using them.

    Anyway,

    *PLONK*

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jun 21, 2005
  7. zaphod wrote:
    > My guess is that you know the answer and it takes just as many words
    > of typing to be arsy so why not just answer the question?

    *PLONK*

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 21, 2005
  8. zaphod <> wrote:
    > A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >
    >> zaphod <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>My ISP only allows perl scripts to run from within a cgi directory
    >>>outside the document root. Since I can't use Embperl or anything
    >>>similar how can I use a perl script as my index page, ie. index.cgi or
    >>>index.pl? I have no access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so cannot
    >>>define DirectoryIndex or DocumentRoot.

    >> This is not a Perl question, but rather a web server configuration
    >> question. Your ISP seems to be in the best position to offer you an
    >> answer.
    >>
    >> Sinan

    > My guess is that you know the answer and it takes just as many words of
    > typing to be arsy so why not just answer the question?

    It takes just as much typing to post a web server question to a
    web server newsgroup, so why be arsy and just post to a newsgroup
    where your question is on-topic?

    The people that know about your issue to not hang out here, they
    hang out somewhere else. You have a much better chance of getting
    useable help if you ask where the experts are.

    So long anyway!

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming