Where to locate index page perl script

zaphod

My ISP only allows perl scripts to run from within a cgi directory outside
the document root. Since I can't use Embperl or anything similar how can I
use a perl script as my index page, ie. index.cgi or index.pl? I have no
access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so cannot define DirectoryIndex or
DocumentRoot.

zaphod

A. Sinan Unur

My ISP only allows perl scripts to run from within a cgi directory
outside the document root. Since I can't use Embperl or anything
similar how can I use a perl script as my index page, ie. index.cgi or
index.pl? I have no access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so cannot
define DirectoryIndex or DocumentRoot.

This is not a Perl question, but rather a web server configuration
question. Your ISP seems to be in the best position to offer you an
answer.

Sinan

zaphod

A. Sinan Unur said:
This is not a Perl question, but rather a web server configuration
question. Your ISP seems to be in the best position to offer you an
answer.

Sinan

My guess is that you know the answer and it takes just as many words of
typing to be arsy so why not just answer the question?

zaphod

Richard Gration

My ISP only allows perl scripts to run from within a cgi directory outside
the document root. Since I can't use Embperl or anything similar how can I
use a perl script as my index page, ie. index.cgi or index.pl? I have no
access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so cannot define DirectoryIndex or
DocumentRoot.

You could use a meta tag to redirect the browser, something like this:

Google for it.

Rich

Brian Wakem

zaphod said:
My ISP only allows perl scripts to run from within a cgi directory outside
the document root. Since I can't use Embperl or anything similar how can I
use a perl script as my index page, ie. index.cgi or index.pl? I have no
access to httpd.conf or a htaccess file so cannot define DirectoryIndex or
DocumentRoot.

zaphod

With so little control I can see only one option. Create index.html with
the following content.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

</BODY>
</HTML>

You might want to add a link to the page "If you are not automatically
redirected, please click here".

A. Sinan Unur

My guess is that you know the answer and it takes just as many words
of typing to be arsy so why not just answer the question?

Actually, I don't know the answer. However, the best option would be to
ask your ISP to kindly insert the appropriate line in the applicable
..htaccess file. I do not see why you are trying to circumvent your ISP
rather than using them.

Anyway,

*PLONK*

Jürgen Exner

zaphod said:
My guess is that you know the answer and it takes just as many words
of typing to be arsy so why not just answer the question?

*PLONK*

jue

Tad McClellan

zaphod said:
My guess is that you know the answer and it takes just as many words of
typing to be arsy so why not just answer the question?

It takes just as much typing to post a web server question to a
web server newsgroup, so why be arsy and just post to a newsgroup
where your question is on-topic?

The people that know about your issue to not hang out here, they
hang out somewhere else. You have a much better chance of getting
useable help if you ask where the experts are.

So long anyway!