Where to place the DAL assembly

Tony

If I have a setup of a web server and a database server, and my
application is split into three layers, UI, Business and Data. With
the Data layer calling stored procedures, where is the best place to
these assemblies. e.g. if the DAL assembly sits on the SQL server what
are the security/performance implications and does this mean I have to
make this a remoting object.

If the DAL assembly stays on the web server, what are the
security/performance implications.

Thanks for any help.

Seth

Hi Tony,

Best practice is probably to put the DAL on the web
server. Configure your connection strings so that you log
in using Integrated Security (not SQL uid/pwd). Run the
web server as a domain user and grant that domain user
access to the database to the appropriate permissions.

This will be much more performant and easier to code than
putting the DAL on the db (or another) server. Only
negative (and probably not a practical one), is if an
intruder gains access to your web server, they could
obtain the DAL code.

Regards,
Seth