Where to publish my code

Discussion in 'Python' started by Erik Lechak, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Erik Lechak

    Erik Lechak Guest

    Hello All,

    I have started working on a graphical programming tool for Python. It
    is similar to Matlab's Simulink (block diagram programming tool). I
    am at a point where I would like to publish the code, but I am not
    sure where to put it.

    I don't need public CVS, bug list, feature suggestions ... I do need
    space on the server to store the application (it just can't point to
    my site). I would like the ability to update my code easily and
    frequently. It would be nice but not necessary to see how many people
    have downloaded the code.

    So far some solutions are:

    1) Vaults of Parnassus - have not tried it yet. The registration
    process makes it looks like they don't provide the space for the
    application. I could be wrong?

    2) Sourceforge - A little too bloated for my needs. But they do
    provide the space to put my code. I used them before and it was kind
    of a pain to do updates.

    3) wxpython-pit.sourceforge.net - Is this a popular site?

    Are there other locations? Any recommendations?

    Thanks,
    Erik Lechak

    Erik Lechak, Sep 22, 2003

  2. Erik Lechak

    John J. Lee Guest

    (Erik Lechak) writes:
    [...]
    > 1) Vaults of Parnassus - have not tried it yet. The registration
    > process makes it looks like they don't provide the space for the
    > application. I could be wrong?

    I've never heard that they provide web space.

    > 2) Sourceforge - A little too bloated for my needs. But they do
    > provide the space to put my code. I used them before and it was kind
    > of a pain to do updates.

    [...]

    Just ignore their file release system (which is apparently going away
    soon anyway). That's what I do -- treat it as free web space. All
    you need is scp and ssh. You can shut down their bug tracking system
    too, so people don't start posting stuff there. SF doesn't provide
    download stats, since it's expensive for them to provide (apparently).

    4) GNU has an SF clone called Savannah.

    John

    John J. Lee, Sep 22, 2003

  3. Erik Lechak

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    [Erik Lechak]
    > 2) Sourceforge

    [John J. Lee]
    > Just ignore their file release system (which is apparently going away
    > soon anyway). That's what I do -- treat it as free web space. All
    > you need is scp and ssh.

    After a couple of months of doing this I received a request to move the
    files from the web space to the release system. May depend on how often your
    files are downloaded.

    Neil

    Neil Hodgson, Sep 22, 2003
  4. Erik Lechak

    John J. Lee Guest

    "Neil Hodgson" <> writes:

    > [Erik Lechak]
    > > 2) Sourceforge

    > [John J. Lee]
    > > Just ignore their file release system (which is apparently going away
    > > soon anyway). That's what I do -- treat it as free web space. All
    > > you need is scp and ssh.

    > After a couple of months of doing this I received a request to move the
    > files from the web space to the release system. May depend on how often your
    > files are downloaded.

    I've been doing that for over a year, so it seems that low bandwidth
    projects like mine don't bother them much. I certainly don't remember
    reading anything when I signed up that requires you to use their file
    release system. Maybe when they roll out their new file release
    system (supposedly easier to use) they'll be less tolerant.

    John

    John J. Lee, Sep 22, 2003
  5. Neil Hodgson wrote:

    > After a couple of months of doing this I received a request to move the
    > files from the web space to the release system. May depend on how often your
    > files are downloaded.

    Probably because the files on the file release system are
    mirrorred to SF's download mirrors, while the web content
    always comes from their own server.

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Sep 22, 2003
  6. Erik Lechak wrote:

    > I have started working on a graphical programming tool for Python. It
    > is similar to Matlab's Simulink (block diagram programming tool).

    Not that I'm trying to discourage you in any way from working on your own, but
    are you familiar with viper?

    http://www.scripps.edu/~stoffler/proj/ViPEr/viper.html

    This thing is simply amazing, big, stable, and heavily used for real research.
    You might at least want to have a look at it for inspiration purposes if you
    wish to develop your own project.

    Best regards,

    Fernando.

    Fernando Perez, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Hi Erik,

    I use http://sunsite.dk for my project (SalStat). You have to ask them
    explicitly (just email them), but your project sounds great, and it
    costs nothing. If you are accepted, the url will be
    projectname.sunsite.dk.

    They seem to be reasonably reliable. Uploads are done by ftp which is
    more simple than Sourceforges (from my point of view), and there are
    running statistics of page impressions (but not more detailed AFAIK).
    You could always embed some php code into your web pages to count
    stuff - sadly they don't have Python on the server... :(

    Alan James Salmoni
    SalStat Statistics
    http://salstat.sunsite.dk

    Alan James Salmoni, Sep 25, 2003
  8. Erik Lechak

    Erik Lechak Guest

    Hello,

    > Not that I'm trying to discourage you in any way from working on your own, but
    > are you familiar with viper?

    I can't believe that I have never heard of this before. It looks
    neat, but it is implemented using tk (I prefer wxPython). I need some
    wxOGL-like functionality for other projects so I am writing a
    wxOGL-like library in python. A visual programming tool is just the
    best demo/testing app I can think of to shake all the bugs loose.

    Thanks for the link,
    Erik Lechak

    Erik Lechak, Sep 26, 2003