Where to store the handle of a web service between requests?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Max, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Max

    Max Guest

    Hi,

    I am helping to build a web app that's pretty much a wrapper around a web
    service. The question now is how to store the handle of the web service
    object between requests. My client is using SQL server for session state so
    I don't think I can store the web service handle there since it's not
    serializable.

    Opening up a connection to this particular service is quite slow so I don't
    want to reopen it for every request.

    I am looking for suggestions how to store the web service handle. Any
    ideas?

    Thanks

    Hans

    Max, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Max

    Bruce Barker Guest

    store in the Application object and use a pool approach. you could add a
    background thread to age the pool (close and delete aged connections).

    note: most http based webservices are single shot and close the connection
    automatically after every request. even if keepalive is set, its for only a
    short period.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Max

    Max Guest

    Storing it in the application object is a good idea. I'll try that.

    I am not sure what my web service is doing exactly but requests after a
    login are definitely much faster than the initial login. To me that means
    some kind of connection/session gets maintained.

    Hans

    Max, Nov 22, 2005