Where to store to connecting string in WinForm Application

ad

We usually store the connection string of Web Applicaiton in Web.Config.
Now I want to develop WinForm Application.
Where is the better place to store the conneciton string?

Mark Monster

Hello,

Store the Connection String in de app.config. But don't forget to encrypt
the app.config or the connectionsting alone.

Yours,

Mark Monster

abc my vclass

Can u share your simple encrypt and decrypt functions as .NET's cryptro so
complex for me?

Peter Rilling

Unless he has password in the connection string, he probably does not need
to encrypt it.

ad

I have store my connection string in ap.config, like:
<configuration>
<appSettings/>
<section name="microsoft.visualstudio.testtools"
type="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting.TestConfigurationSection,
Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework, Version=8.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
<connectionStrings>
<add name="myDataBase" connectionString="Data Source=.\;Initial
Catalog=SchoolGov;Integrated Security=True" />
</connectionStrings>
</configuration>

How can I read the connectionString into my applicaton?

Patirck Ige

In Web.Config add
<add key="ConnectionString"
value="server=(local);database=YOURDATABASE;integrated security=true;" />
And in your code use:-
Public conn As New
SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ConnectionString"))
Hope that helps
Patrick