Whether to use target="_blank" for outside link

Pritam Barhate

Hi,

This question has been vexing me from quite some time now. When one
links to the resources outside his/her website should the
target="_blank" attribute be used for the <a> tag?

Normally I use target="_blank" for anything that is outside my
website. But this question bothers me even more when I am creating a
list of resources. Since, while viewing these lists user will be more
interested in the resources than my website.

Recently I came across the following opinion a lot times:

If the user wants to come back to your site he has the back button and
also he can use the "Open in new window" option if he wants the linked
resource to open in new window.

Please share your thoughts about this point.

Thank You.

rf

Pritam Barhate said:
Hi,

This question has been vexing me from quite some time now. When one
links to the resources outside his/her website should the
target="_blank" attribute be used for the <a> tag?

No.

Harlan Messinger

Pritam said:
Hi,

This question has been vexing me from quite some time now. When one
links to the resources outside his/her website should the
target="_blank" attribute be used for the <a> tag?

Normally I use target="_blank" for anything that is outside my
website. But this question bothers me even more when I am creating a
list of resources. Since, while viewing these lists user will be more
interested in the resources than my website.

Recently I came across the following opinion a lot times:

If the user wants to come back to your site he has the back button and
also he can use the "Open in new window" option if he wants the linked
resource to open in new window.

Exactly. And this is much more suitable than leaving a user who's being
browsing from site to site to site to finished up his session only to
discover that he now has a dozen windows to close because each site's
designer thought he needed to see the next site in a new window.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Pritam Barhate:
Normally I use target="_blank" for anything that is outside my
website.

You haven't been reading this group (or FAQs or good tutorials) much.

Generally, for a common question, you get much better answers by
checking past discussions than by spawning new threads. For an
explanation, see my Treatise on Human Misunderstanding (in preparation).

dorayme

Harlan Messinger said:
Exactly. And this is much more suitable than leaving a user who's being
browsing from site to site to site to finished up his session only to
discover that he now has a dozen windows to close because each site's
designer thought he needed to see the next site in a new window.

Take me for example. I get pissed off. If I want to keep track of
things and have your site up easy to get to and others to compare
material etc I just Command key click and a link opens in a new
tab (Windows users would have their own ways). Do it often.

If you do not leave it to the user you are deliberately making it
more difficult to be rid of your site, a user who wants to leave
your site and go a link must do two things instead of one. He
must click and then find yours and click the close.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:01:24 GMT
Jukka K. Korpela scribed:
Scripsit Pritam Barhate:

You haven't been reading this group (or FAQs or good tutorials) much.

Generally, for a common question, you get much better answers by
checking past discussions than by spawning new threads. For an
explanation, see my Treatise on Human Misunderstanding (in preparation).

Bravo, Mr. K. I, myself, am currently engrossed in a work tentatively
entitled "On the Benefits of the Free Woman to Modern Society" which I hope
to publish sometime before irrationality overtakes me completely. I offer
my sincerest hopes to you in your endeavor with the same earnestness and
regard for your own project's ultimate viability in the face of such
awesome international cynicism.

+mrcakey

dorayme said:
Take me for example. I get pissed off. If I want to keep track of
things and have your site up easy to get to and others to compare
material etc I just Command key click and a link opens in a new
tab (Windows users would have their own ways). Do it often.

If you do not leave it to the user you are deliberately making it
more difficult to be rid of your site, a user who wants to leave
your site and go a link must do two things instead of one. He
must click and then find yours and click the close.

This has done the rounds quite a lot and the very clear consensus is
that using target="_blank" is a BAD THING. One thing that anyone who's
browsed the web for any length of time will be familiar with is leaving
a site, getting engrossed in the new one and losing interest in the
first. Particularly for casual browsing.

I think, if you HAVE to link to an outside site and you still want your
users to come back then this is one time using frames is acceptable:
link to a page within your own site that contains a narrow "navigation"
frame to take you back to the calling page, and a main frame filled by
the external site.

+mrcakey

Travis Newbury

Normally I use target="_blank"...

You know, I agree with everyone here that told you don't do it. And
myself, I do not like it when a site uses it.

But would I ever leave a site because they use it to open new
windows? Probably not.

So my advice would be to not do it, just like everyone else said. But
in the grand scheme of things I doubt any interested visitor would
leave because you opened another window.

dorayme

+mrcakey said:
the very clear consensus is that using target="_blank" is a BAD THING
I think, if you HAVE to link to an outside site and you still want your
users to come back then this is one time using frames is acceptable

(1) The very clear consensus is that using target="_blank" is a
BAD THING

(2) If you HAVE to link to an outside site and you still want
your users to come back then this is one time using frames is
acceptable

(3) Most sites DO link to outside

(4) Most site authors WANT users to come back

(5) Most sites should use frames (from 2, 3 and 4)

(6) If you use frames and want to link to outside, you use
target="_blank"

(7) Using target="_blank" is a GOOD THING

ergo

(8) The consensus that using target="_blank" is a BAD THING is
false

Els

dorayme said:
(1) The very clear consensus is that using target="_blank" is a
BAD THING

(2) If you HAVE to link to an outside site and you still want
your users to come back then this is one time using frames is
acceptable

(3) Most sites DO link to outside

(4) Most site authors WANT users to come back

(5) Most sites should use frames (from 2, 3 and 4)

(6) If you use frames and want to link to outside, you use
target="_blank"

(7) Using target="_blank" is a GOOD THING

ergo

(8) The consensus that using target="_blank" is a BAD THING is
false

Nah, point 2 is false, rendering the conclusion at point 5
non-existent, making point 3, 4 and 6 irrelevant, point 7 meaningless,
and thus leaving us with the original at point 1: opening outbound
links in a new window is a BAD THING :)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
(2) If you HAVE to link to an outside site and you still want
your users to come back then this is one time using frames is
acceptable

...until you get to a site like mine, which will break out of the frame,
leaving the visitor with nothing to go back to...

dorayme

Els said:
Nah, point 2 is false, rendering the conclusion at point 5
non-existent, making point 3, 4 and 6 irrelevant, point 7 meaningless,
and thus leaving us with the original at point 1: opening outbound
links in a new window is a BAD THING :)

I guess, then, you don't appreciate my reductio ad absurdum. If
you don't, there are not many others that will, given you are one
of the sharpest. Perhaps this will help to give you a better
understanding of it:

It is not me that asserts the truth of (2). This is asserted by
the person to whom I am replying. (2) is an assertion. But I did
not assert it. Lets go though the whole thing:

+mrcakey comes along and says both (1) and (2).

So I put them both down to see where such a conjunction leads to.
And if you look closely, it leads to 7 and 8 which shows that
there is something wrong with believing both 1 and 2. This type
of argument is sometimes called a reductio ad absurdum.

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
..until you get to a site like mine, which will break out of the frame,
leaving the visitor with nothing to go back to...

Good for you. It is a bad practice to put other people's web
pages inside your own frames.

Els

dorayme said:
I guess, then, you don't appreciate my reductio ad absurdum. If
you don't, there are not many others that will, given you are one
of the sharpest. Perhaps this will help to give you a better
understanding of it:

It is not me that asserts the truth of (2). This is asserted by
the person to whom I am replying. (2) is an assertion. But I did
not assert it. Lets go though the whole thing:

+mrcakey comes along and says both (1) and (2).

So I put them both down to see where such a conjunction leads to.
And if you look closely, it leads to 7 and 8 which shows that
there is something wrong with believing both 1 and 2. This type
of argument is sometimes called a reductio ad absurdum.

I actually did get it, but just liked to refute the conclusion with a
more indepth analysis ;-)

As for the term 'reductio ad absurdum', I didn't know it, but it
sounds like a good term for the concept. Would that be the same thing
as that mysterious mathematical calculation that (by sneaking a
non-truth into the equation) seems to prove that 1 = 0?

(sorry for lack of snippage - couldn't make up my mind on what to
leave in or out)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
Good for you. It is a bad practice to put other people's web pages
inside your own frames.

...which is precisely why I added the code years ago. Some jerk had a
link on his main page to a site of mine, and the link called up a
frameset so my entire site appeared with his domain name in the location
bar.

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
..which is precisely why I added the code years ago. Some jerk had a
link on his main page to a site of mine, and the link called up a
frameset so my entire site appeared with his domain name in the location
bar.

The only alternative you had, I guess, was to ride right up to
his place, park the big bike right out front and go see him... <g>

dorayme

Els said:
dorayme wrote:

.... snip
I actually did get it...

I guess I was puzzled by you saying that 2 was false when you
were tackling the argument - because it is irrelevant to the
argument that it is false.

Anyway, there are interesting and tricky notions surrounding
these types of considerations. Validity is only one type of
goodness in arguments (just as it it is in website pages) but it
is what arguments are best at. Truth is something else
altogether.

Usually, a person will usefully (educatively) advance an argument
if he is confident that his audience is likely to assent to the
premises. The truth of the premises in any final argument from
one person to another is taken for granted, The point is to lead
the audience to see that the conclusion results from what they
already accept.

There are many exceptions to this description. For example, in
the teaching of argument to people, an example is often given,
there being no assumption of truth in either the premises or the
conclusion. Nor in someone who is considering various arguments
so as to work out what might be worth exploring further. And,
curiously enough, in the argument by reductio, this is not so
either. More on this in a moment.

While it is true that everyone has a good enough grasp of the
ideas of truth and falsity, it is not the case that these, when
combined with the notion of argument, have commonsensical
relations. It is therefore not surprising that there can be some
confusion about them.

A valid argument, to use a concept in perhaps a stricter than
commonsensical way, is an argument whose premise(s) entail the
conclusion(s). It is not one where the conclusion is true, or one
where the premises are true. It is one where, if the premises are
true, the conclusion must be true. (There are some equally strict
but weaker types of validity and implication in formal logical
systems but I am not talking about these).

Validity is purely a relation between statements and there are
many assertions (including the conclusion) that can be false
while yet the argument remains valid. (Just as a website can pass
a validation test and yet have every other kind of fault)

There is only one particular arrangement of truth and falsity in
a valid argument that is ruled out, namely the combination of
true premises with false conclusion. Any argument that is known
to have true premises with a false conclusion is thereby known to
to be invalid. It is a bad argument by being invalid. The
conclusion does not follow from the premises.

The condition of an argument being valid is simply this: if the
premises are true, the conclusion must be. This says nothing
about the truth of either the premises or the conclusion. How to
know the truth of the premises is entirely out of the scope of
any one argument being assessed.

A reductio is a rather special sort of argument, it is a sort of
meta argument in which people are invited to look at how more
normal arguments within play themselves out.

If I thought anyone in the whole world was still awake I would go
on... but even I have limits when I hear snoring... said:
As for the term 'reductio ad absurdum', I didn't know it, but it
sounds like a good term for the concept. Would that be the same thing
as that mysterious mathematical calculation that (by sneaking a
non-truth into the equation) seems to prove that 1 = 0?

One can show the most absurd conclusions by including what is not
true in the premises. A reductio is more strictly an exhibition
of how an assumption or set of assumptions leads to a
contradiction.

mbstevens

dorayme said:
Validity is purely a relation between statements and there are
many assertions (including the conclusion) that can be false
while yet the argument remains valid. (Just as a website can pass
a validation test and yet have every other kind of fault)

Just to avoid confusion about something I think you already know,
but which got me thinking:

The 'validation' test of a website has an unclear relation to valid
arguments in logic. Validaton by the HTML validator
is about well formedness only, without a model (interpretation).

Valid in logic has to do not only with well formedness
of the argument, but with the interpretation of the logic
-- in the case of standard first order logic, of truth and falsity.

The 'model' of HTML, if it could even be called that,
_might_ have to do, vaguely, with either

1) semantic markup -- this
semantics not of truth and falsity but or some vague
relation to the use of terms like 'list' and 'title' in
natural languages to describe parts of a page.

or,

2) the way the client software 'interprets' the markup for actual display.
This is incompletely developed in the specs.

If I thought anyone in the whole world was still awake I would go
on... but even I have limits when I hear snoring... <g>

No, that was admirable.

dorayme

mbstevens said:
Just to avoid confusion about something I think you already know,
but which got me thinking:

The 'validation' test of a website has an unclear relation to valid
arguments in logic.

I was merely drawing an analogy for the purpose of an aside and
to point out that there are a number of types of goodness to both
arguments and websites, none of which necessarily confer other
types of goodness. Both can satisfy certain tests to do with
conformance to standards and that is just one important thing, a
necessary thing if you like, that we should hold both to.
Validaton by the HTML validator
is about well formedness only, without a model (interpretation).

Right. And the true analogy for this would be the "material
implication" of some formal logical systems and which can be
cashed out completely in simple truth value tabular criteria. In
this type of formal "valid" argument, valid simply means not(p
and not q) where p is the conjunction of the premises and q is
the conjunction of the conclusions. This does capture quite a lot
of what we want when thinking about arguments, entailment and
necessity and it is so clean and transparent that it enables us
to make formal and powerful tests on complicated series of
statements. Machines can do it.

But the notion of real implication, the idea of necessity, the
whole business of rational force of an argument goes beyond this
formality. This richer sort of entailment is nothing that can be
easily abstracted. It is something deep and murkier and has much
to do with how human beings feel compelled by some very basic
things. I am not wanting to relativise logic to human feelings
but there is something very "wet" about the whole thing in
practice. It is bound up with how they learn language, how they
evolved over millions of years, how they are built to react and
judge.

If humans did not feel a compulsion when some very basic things
are considered, they would not have the impressive rationality
that enables them to get to the moon, to name a concrete
achievement. The force of an argument depends on meaning, not the
shape of symbols. And meaning is not something mere machines are
good at. Machines don't have the right structure or genetic make
up... yet!
No, that was admirable.

Thank you.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit dorayme:

Wrong.

Before digging yourselves deeper into a hole of confusion, consider
learning what (markup) validation is, before writing treatises on it.

Both "valid" and "well-formed" are strictly defined terms, and quite
different from each other.