Which 3D api/technology should be used now?

CVT

I read somewhere that Sun were no longer supporting Java3D officially
anymore which is a shame. I have also heard of JOGL and I'm sure there
are others too.

My question is which api should I learn in order to create simple 3D
games? If Java3D is not supported anymore does this mean development on
it will eventually stop? Is JOGL now the api of choice?

If someone could please explain the ins and outs as I am completely new
to all this and dont want to make the wrong choices off the bat.

Thanks,

Chad.