Which account neets permission to read the Registry key.

Sachin

Hi All,

I am using aspnet_setreg.exe to encrypt the username and password and store
them in Web.Config file for impersonation.

I have given ASPNET and Impersonation account to read the registry key.

However, while running the application it fails saying that can't read the
password for Registrty.

If I give read permission to "Everyone" it works fine.

Can anyone please tell me which account ASP.NET application uses to read the
registry key or how do find out which account it is trying to use.

I dont want to give read permission to "everyone".

Thanks in advance
Sachin

Peter Rilling

There is no "impersonate" account. If you have impersonation turned on,
then the account trying to access the registry is the account of the person
accessing the website.

Siva M

Which OS are you running? Giving permissions for ASPNET works only for Win
XP Pro. If you are using Win 2003, give the same permissions for
'serverName\Network Service'