Which API to use?

pzimmermann

Hello folks. Beginner here.

In a nutshell I am looking for a reporting/corrections tool in which
to interface with an existing app written in c++. My initial thought
was using PHP, but based on the following criteria, what other options
might one suggest: security, licensing, installation, maintainability,
UI, read and write to DB (Access most likely)?

The idea is that our existing app is going to dump a bunch of data to
a DB. The user will then have the option to view the error reports
and make corrections (chtml view class). My idea was to present this
data using PHP/CSS.

Any suggestions, reads would be greatly appreciated.

dgcoffman

Hello folks. Beginner here.

In a nutshell I am looking for a reporting/corrections tool in which
to interface with an existing app written in c++. My initial thought
was using PHP, but based on the following criteria, what other options
might one suggest: security, licensing, installation, maintainability,
UI, read and write to DB (Access most likely)?

The idea is that our existing app is going to dump a bunch of data to
a DB. The user will then have the option to view the error reports
and make corrections (chtml view class). My idea was to present this
data using PHP/CSS.

Any suggestions, reads would be greatly appreciated.

If you're going to write a database-driven webapp (which is sounds
like you are), a C#/ASPX project is probably one of the easiest
solutions to create and maintain, given the massive amount of
automatic code generation Visual Studio will do for you.

Presenting information from a database is as simple as throwing a
gridview on a page and .NET built-ins make database access and UI
building almost trivial.

The restriction, of course, is that you'll need a server capable of
serving aspx (IIS, probably).

pzimmermann

If you're going to write a database-driven webapp (which is sounds
like you are), a C#/ASPX project is probably one of the easiest
solutions to create and maintain, given the massive amount of
automatic code generation Visual Studio will do for you.

Presenting information from a database is as simple as throwing a
gridview on a page and .NET built-ins make database access and UI
building almost trivial.

The restriction, of course, is that you'll need a server capable of
serving aspx (IIS, probably).

This is pretty much what I am looking for. Thanks for your input.