Which are the "CPAN superstars"?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by kj, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    CPAN is a somewhat overwhelming resource. The number of available
    modules is huge, but there is little to guide the user towards "the
    best of CPAN." (I'm aware of the star rating system, but it doesn't
    seem to be very much used.)

    Is there some to find out which modules are the "CPAN superstars"?

    One proxy for "best" would be "most downloaded." The rationale
    for this approximation is that the better modules get more
    word-of-mouth advertising, and therefore more downloads. Certainly,
    it is quite likely that this approach will miss many unsung gems,
    but it's better than nothing.

    Is there a way to get statistics such as number of downloads that
    may help discern the hottest CPAN modules?

    Thanks!

    kj

    kj, Jun 13, 2005

  2. kj

    John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Jun 14, 2005

  3. kj

    Steven Kuo Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, kj wrote:

    (snipped)

    > Is there some to find out which modules are the "CPAN superstars"?
    >
    > One proxy for "best" would be "most downloaded." The rationale
    > for this approximation is that the better modules get more
    > word-of-mouth advertising, and therefore more downloads. Certainly,
    > it is quite likely that this approach will miss many unsung gems,
    > but it's better than nothing.

    Instead of "most downloaded", you can check for those with the
    highest "kwalitee":

    http://cpants.dev.zsi.at/highscores.html

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Steven
    Steven Kuo, Jun 14, 2005
  4. kj

    Chris Guest

    kj wrote:
    > CPAN is a somewhat overwhelming resource. The number of available
    > modules is huge, but there is little to guide the user towards "the
    > best of CPAN." (I'm aware of the star rating system, but it doesn't
    > seem to be very much used.)
    >
    > Is there some to find out which modules are the "CPAN superstars"?
    >
    > One proxy for "best" would be "most downloaded." The rationale
    > for this approximation is that the better modules get more
    > word-of-mouth advertising, and therefore more downloads. Certainly,
    > it is quite likely that this approach will miss many unsung gems,
    > but it's better than nothing.
    >
    > Is there a way to get statistics such as number of downloads that
    > may help discern the hottest CPAN modules?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > kj

    An overall CPAN "best of" list doesn't make much sense. The "best"
    module for the job is not necessarily indicated by number of downloads.
    You should identify the problem, then look for a module, not the other
    way around. The fact that DBI is very popular won't help you much if
    you're trying to use gnuplot.

    That said, a per-category statistics list may be a good idea...

    -chris
    Chris, Jun 15, 2005