    me?

    Specially, Thinking in C++ and the Stroustrup's book both seems
    great. Which one should I choose at first?
    Matthew Zhou, Mar 19, 2007

  2. Matthew Zhou

    kwikius Guest

    On 19 Mar, 07:05, Matthew Zhou <> wrote:

    > Specially, Thinking in C++ and the Stroustrup's book both seems
    > great. Which one should I choose at first?

    If you have a local library you can ask them to get both books and
    maybe others too.. Then decide for yourself. If you don't have a
    library try your local college library.

    good luck...

    regards
    Andy Little
    kwikius, Mar 19, 2007

  3. On 19 mar, 04:05, Matthew Zhou <> wrote:
    > I am a student just starting learning programming and now I am coming
    > into the world of C++
    >
    > I only learned C before from the K&R book. Which is book is right for
    > me?
    >
    > Specially, Thinking in C++ and the Stroustrup's book both seems
    > great. Which one should I choose at first?

    For a beginner, you should read "Accelerated C++" or "You can program
    in C++". From there, you should read the books by Herb Sutter (The
    Exceptional series) and the books by Scott Meyers (The Effective
    series). From there... you won't need more advice from me :)

    HTH,

    Marcelo Pinto
    Marcelo Pinto, Mar 19, 2007
  4. Matthew Zhou

    Matthew Zhou Guest

    "kwikius" <> writes:

    > On 19 Mar, 07:05, Matthew Zhou <> wrote:
    >
    >> Specially, Thinking in C++ and the Stroustrup's book both seems
    >> great. Which one should I choose at first?

    > If you have a local library you can ask them to get both books and
    > maybe others too.. Then decide for yourself. If you don't have a
    > library try your local college library.
    >
    > good luck...
    >
    > regards
    > Andy Little

    I have both of them. But I wonder which one. Since it is not possible
    to study two books at once. So I want to focus on one of them or
    others.
    Matthew Zhou, Mar 19, 2007
  5. Matthew Zhou

    Grizlyk Guest

    Matthew Zhou wrote:

    >I am a student just starting learning programming and now I am coming
    > into the world of C++
    >
    > I only learned C before from the K&R book. Which is book is right for
    > me?
    >
    > Specially, Thinking in C++ and the Stroustrup's book both seems
    > great. Which one should I choose at first?

    For non-OOP and non-GP properties of C++ you can use in fact any modern C++
    book _directed to language itself_ (not to MFC, OWL etc), to learn language
    syntax and some rationale for overloading, classes, inheritans, templates,
    exceptions etc.

    If you want to learn stdlib, you can use in fact any modern book about C++
    standard library (assuming you know what the algorithms and data types must
    to do as itself, unrelated to its C++ implementation).

    If you want to make own programs from practical jobs, then your main
    difficulty will be not the question: "what C++ property i must use to
    implement what i want", but the question: "what i must do to get something,
    that later can be implemented in C++".

    I want to say, design problem will be much difficult for you than coding
    problem, especially if you have experience in C, often you will have nothing
    to implement.

    If you want to use a OOP paradigm for design (to turn conditions of jobs
    into C++ source code), you must understand basic concepts of OOP (there are
    no the concepts in C). Read something like Booch's "OOD&A with examples on
    C++".

    I think you also can read some old books about C++, because they are often
    assuming (unlike modern books), that you know C only. You can read, for
    example, Stroustrup's article from "Simula-association of Simula Users,
    1986" there you can see some problems of C++ design.

    After you gave got some experience of design of classes in C++ and have
    found qustion: "what design way (ingeritance or composition) i must to use
    here", try "Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on Object-Oriented
    Design" by Alan Shalloway, James R. Trott (new for 2000 year and official
    page of the book http://www.netobjectives.com/dpexplained has been
    terminated probably some monthes ago, try
    http://www.williamspublishing.com ).

    "Desing and Evolution of C++" from Stroustrup will be needed to you when you
    will ask "why i can not implement in C++ what i need" :)

    If you want to use a GP paradigm for design, you will need a book about GP.
    I do not know them.

    --
    Maksim A. Polyanin
    http://grizlyk1.narod.ru/cpp_new

    "In thi world of fairy tales rolls are liked olso"
    /Gnume/
    Grizlyk, Mar 19, 2007
  6. Matthew Zhou

    Matthew Zhou Guest

    "Grizlyk" <> writes:

    > Matthew Zhou wrote:
    >>
    >>I am a student just starting learning programming and now I am coming
    >> into the world of C++
    >>
    >> I only learned C before from the K&R book. Which is book is right for
    >> me?
    >>
    >> Specially, Thinking in C++ and the Stroustrup's book both seems
    >> great. Which one should I choose at first?

    > For non-OOP and non-GP properties of C++ you can use in fact any modern C++
    > book _directed to language itself_ (not to MFC, OWL etc), to learn language
    > syntax and some rationale for overloading, classes, inheritans, templates,
    > exceptions etc.
    >
    > If you want to learn stdlib, you can use in fact any modern book about C++
    > standard library (assuming you know what the algorithms and data types must
    > to do as itself, unrelated to its C++ implementation).
    >
    > If you want to make own programs from practical jobs, then your main
    > difficulty will be not the question: "what C++ property i must use to
    > implement what i want", but the question: "what i must do to get something,
    > that later can be implemented in C++".
    >
    > I want to say, design problem will be much difficult for you than coding
    > problem, especially if you have experience in C, often you will have nothing
    > to implement.
    >
    > If you want to use a OOP paradigm for design (to turn conditions of jobs
    > into C++ source code), you must understand basic concepts of OOP (there are
    > no the concepts in C). Read something like Booch's "OOD&A with examples on
    > C++".
    >
    > I think you also can read some old books about C++, because they are often
    > assuming (unlike modern books), that you know C only. You can read, for
    > example, Stroustrup's article from "Simula-association of Simula Users,
    > 1986" there you can see some problems of C++ design.
    >
    > After you gave got some experience of design of classes in C++ and have
    > found qustion: "what design way (ingeritance or composition) i must to use
    > here", try "Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on Object-Oriented
    > Design" by Alan Shalloway, James R. Trott (new for 2000 year and official
    > page of the book http://www.netobjectives.com/dpexplained has been
    > terminated probably some monthes ago, try
    > http://www.williamspublishing.com ).
    >
    > "Desing and Evolution of C++" from Stroustrup will be needed to you when you
    > will ask "why i can not implement in C++ what i need" :)
    >
    > If you want to use a GP paradigm for design, you will need a book about GP.
    > I do not know them.
    >

    > --
    > Maksim A. Polyanin
    > http://grizlyk1.narod.ru/cpp_new
    >
    > "In thi world of fairy tales rolls are liked olso"
    > /Gnume/

    Thank you for your kindly and great suggestions!
    Matthew Zhou, Mar 19, 2007
  7. Matthew Zhou

    Grizlyk Guest

    Matthew Zhou wrote:

    > Thank you for your kindly and great suggestions!

    There is nothing to thank. This is just my opinion and there are many people
    in the group who does not agree with me.

    Grizlyk, Mar 19, 2007