Which book is right for a newbie only know C

Matthew Zhou

I am a student just starting learning programming and now I am coming
into the world of C++

I only learned C before from the K&R book. Which is book is right for
me?

Specially, Thinking in C++ and the Stroustrup's book both seems
great. Which one should I choose at first?

kwikius

Specially, Thinking in C++ and the Stroustrup's book both seems
great. Which one should I choose at first?

If you have a local library you can ask them to get both books and
maybe others too.. Then decide for yourself. If you don't have a
library try your local college library.

good luck...

regards
Andy Little

Marcelo Pinto

I am a student just starting learning programming and now I am coming
into the world of C++

I only learned C before from the K&R book. Which is book is right for
me?

Specially, Thinking in C++ and the Stroustrup's book both seems
great. Which one should I choose at first?

For a beginner, you should read "Accelerated C++" or "You can program
in C++". From there, you should read the books by Herb Sutter (The
Exceptional series) and the books by Scott Meyers (The Effective
series). From there... you won't need more advice from me :)

HTH,

Marcelo Pinto

Matthew Zhou

kwikius said:
If you have a local library you can ask them to get both books and
maybe others too.. Then decide for yourself. If you don't have a
library try your local college library.

good luck...

regards
Andy Little

I have both of them. But I wonder which one. Since it is not possible
to study two books at once. So I want to focus on one of them or
others.

Grizlyk

Matthew said:
I am a student just starting learning programming and now I am coming
into the world of C++

I only learned C before from the K&R book. Which is book is right for
me?

Specially, Thinking in C++ and the Stroustrup's book both seems
great. Which one should I choose at first?

For non-OOP and non-GP properties of C++ you can use in fact any modern C++
book _directed to language itself_ (not to MFC, OWL etc), to learn language
syntax and some rationale for overloading, classes, inheritans, templates,
exceptions etc.

If you want to learn stdlib, you can use in fact any modern book about C++
standard library (assuming you know what the algorithms and data types must
to do as itself, unrelated to its C++ implementation).

If you want to make own programs from practical jobs, then your main
difficulty will be not the question: "what C++ property i must use to
implement what i want", but the question: "what i must do to get something,
that later can be implemented in C++".

I want to say, design problem will be much difficult for you than coding
problem, especially if you have experience in C, often you will have nothing
to implement.

If you want to use a OOP paradigm for design (to turn conditions of jobs
into C++ source code), you must understand basic concepts of OOP (there are
no the concepts in C). Read something like Booch's "OOD&A with examples on
C++".

I think you also can read some old books about C++, because they are often
assuming (unlike modern books), that you know C only. You can read, for
example, Stroustrup's article from "Simula-association of Simula Users,
1986" there you can see some problems of C++ design.

After you gave got some experience of design of classes in C++ and have
found qustion: "what design way (ingeritance or composition) i must to use
here", try "Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on Object-Oriented
Design" by Alan Shalloway, James R. Trott (new for 2000 year and official
page of the book http://www.netobjectives.com/dpexplained has been
terminated probably some monthes ago, try
http://www.williamspublishing.com ).

"Desing and Evolution of C++" from Stroustrup will be needed to you when you
will ask "why i can not implement in C++ what i need" :)

If you want to use a GP paradigm for design, you will need a book about GP.
I do not know them.

--
Maksim A. Polyanin
http://grizlyk1.narod.ru/cpp_new

"In thi world of fairy tales rolls are liked olso"
/Gnume/

Matthew Zhou

Grizlyk said:
[...]

Thank you for your kindly and great suggestions!