    installation.

    --
    Will
    Will, Jun 26, 2007

  2. Will

    Alex Buell Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:13:17 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
    magically appears in front of Will:

    > We have an ancient application (an old service processor for
    > proprietary hardware) that is manageable only by a browser running
    > Java 1.2. Does anyone know of a browser that will work with JVM
    > 1.2 that can be installed on Windows 2003? MSIE 7 just dies when
    > run with JVM 1.2. Firefox 1.5 won't work with it either. MSIE 6
    > works fine, but I cannot find a way to install MSIE 6 on Windows 2003
    > without completing messing with the MSIE 7 installation.

    Can't you just decompile the application and recompile for use with a
    newer JVM?
    --
    http://www.munted.org.uk

    Fearsome grindings.
    Alex Buell, Jun 26, 2007

  3. Will

    Tom Hawtin Guest

    Will wrote:
    > We have an ancient application (an old service processor for proprietary
    > hardware) that is manageable only by a browser running Java 1.2. Does
    > anyone know of a browser that will work with JVM 1.2 that can be installed
    > on Windows 2003? MSIE 7 just dies when run with JVM 1.2. Firefox 1.5
    > won't work with it either. MSIE 6 works fine, but I cannot find a way to
    > install MSIE 6 on Windows 2003 without completing messing with the MSIE 7
    > installation.

    Can you not use appletviewer from the JDK?

    Tom Hawtin
    Tom Hawtin, Jun 26, 2007
  4. Tom Hawtin wrote:
    >> We have an ancient application (an old service processor for proprietary
    >> hardware) that is manageable only by a browser running Java 1.2.

    Why do you say that? What Java 1.2 bug* does it rely on?

    * That is the only thing I can think of, that would lock
    a Java application or applet to a specific version of
    the JRE.

    >Can you not use appletviewer from the JDK?

    ..also as used by Java web start (for launching
    applets*). JWS is also good for JRE versioning**.

    * <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>
    ** <http://www.physci.org/jws/version.html#earlier>

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Jun 26, 2007
  5. Will

    Will Guest

    "Alex Buell" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:13:17 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
    > magically appears in front of Will:
    >
    >> We have an ancient application (an old service processor for
    >> proprietary hardware) that is manageable only by a browser running
    >> Java 1.2. Does anyone know of a browser that will work with JVM
    >> 1.2 that can be installed on Windows 2003? MSIE 7 just dies when
    >> run with JVM 1.2. Firefox 1.5 won't work with it either. MSIE 6
    >> works fine, but I cannot find a way to install MSIE 6 on Windows 2003
    >> without completing messing with the MSIE 7 installation.

    > Can't you just decompile the application and recompile for use with a
    > newer JVM?

    Not possible for reasonable cost. The java is embedded into proprietary
    hardware.

    --
    Will
    Will, Jun 26, 2007
  6. Will

    Will Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <u32984@uwe> wrote in message news:7445189fbd1bf@uwe...
    > Tom Hawtin wrote:
    >>> We have an ancient application (an old service processor for proprietary
    >>> hardware) that is manageable only by a browser running Java 1.2.

    > Why do you say that? What Java 1.2 bug* does it rely on?

    They wrote the application with hard-wired logic to stop working on any JVM
    that is not 1.2.

    I'm not defending it. I'm trying to work around it.

    > * That is the only thing I can think of, that would lock
    > a Java application or applet to a specific version of
    > the JRE.
    >
    >>Can you not use appletviewer from the JDK?

    I'll try it.

    --
    Will
    Will, Jun 26, 2007
  7. On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:55:25 -0700, Will wrote:
    > They wrote the application with hard-wired logic to stop working on any
    > JVM that is not 1.2.

    I assume that the hard-wired logic is equivalent to System.getProperty
    ("java.version").equals("1.2"); if so, then maybe running with -
    Djava.version=1.2 might fix it.
    Joshua Cranmer, Jun 27, 2007
  8. Will wrote:
    > We have an ancient application (an old service processor for proprietary
    > hardware) that is manageable only by a browser running Java 1.2. Does
    > anyone know of a browser that will work with JVM 1.2 that can be installed
    > on Windows 2003? MSIE 7 just dies when run with JVM 1.2. Firefox 1.5
    > won't work with it either. MSIE 6 works fine, but I cannot find a way to
    > install MSIE 6 on Windows 2003 without completing messing with the MSIE 7
    > installation.

    Install some virtualization software and run
    Windows 2000 + MSIE old + Java old on that.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Jul 4, 2007