Which Browser for Java 1.2?

Will

We have an ancient application (an old service processor for proprietary
hardware) that is manageable only by a browser running Java 1.2. Does
anyone know of a browser that will work with JVM 1.2 that can be installed
on Windows 2003? MSIE 7 just dies when run with JVM 1.2. Firefox 1.5
won't work with it either. MSIE 6 works fine, but I cannot find a way to
install MSIE 6 on Windows 2003 without completing messing with the MSIE 7
installation.

Alex Buell

We have an ancient application (an old service processor for
proprietary hardware) that is manageable only by a browser running
Java 1.2. Does anyone know of a browser that will work with JVM
1.2 that can be installed on Windows 2003? MSIE 7 just dies when
run with JVM 1.2. Firefox 1.5 won't work with it either. MSIE 6
works fine, but I cannot find a way to install MSIE 6 on Windows 2003
without completing messing with the MSIE 7 installation.

Can't you just decompile the application and recompile for use with a
newer JVM?

Tom Hawtin

Will said:
We have an ancient application (an old service processor for proprietary
hardware) that is manageable only by a browser running Java 1.2. Does
anyone know of a browser that will work with JVM 1.2 that can be installed
on Windows 2003? MSIE 7 just dies when run with JVM 1.2. Firefox 1.5
won't work with it either. MSIE 6 works fine, but I cannot find a way to
install MSIE 6 on Windows 2003 without completing messing with the MSIE 7
installation.

Can you not use appletviewer from the JDK?

Tom Hawtin

Andrew Thompson

Why do you say that? What Java 1.2 bug* does it rely on?

* That is the only thing I can think of, that would lock
a Java application or applet to a specific version of
the JRE.
Can you not use appletviewer from the JDK?

..also as used by Java web start (for launching
applets*). JWS is also good for JRE versioning**.

* <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>
** <http://www.physci.org/jws/version.html#earlier>

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Will

Alex Buell said:
Can't you just decompile the application and recompile for use with a
newer JVM?

Not possible for reasonable cost. The java is embedded into proprietary
hardware.

Will

Andrew Thompson said:
Why do you say that? What Java 1.2 bug* does it rely on?

They wrote the application with hard-wired logic to stop working on any JVM
that is not 1.2.

I'm not defending it. I'm trying to work around it.

* That is the only thing I can think of, that would lock
a Java application or applet to a specific version of
the JRE.

I'll try it.

Joshua Cranmer

They wrote the application with hard-wired logic to stop working on any
JVM that is not 1.2.

I assume that the hard-wired logic is equivalent to System.getProperty
("java.version").equals("1.2"); if so, then maybe running with -
Djava.version=1.2 might fix it.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Will said:
We have an ancient application (an old service processor for proprietary
hardware) that is manageable only by a browser running Java 1.2. Does
anyone know of a browser that will work with JVM 1.2 that can be installed
on Windows 2003? MSIE 7 just dies when run with JVM 1.2. Firefox 1.5
won't work with it either. MSIE 6 works fine, but I cannot find a way to
install MSIE 6 on Windows 2003 without completing messing with the MSIE 7
installation.

Install some virtualization software and run
Windows 2000 + MSIE old + Java old on that.

Arne