    David D. Guest

    Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

    - David D.

    David D., Jan 10, 2005

  2. David D.

    Dylan Parry Guest

    David D. wrote:
    > Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

    AFAIK the following browsers support it: IE6, Mozilla (inc. Netscape 6+,
    Firefox etc), Opera 5+, Konqueror 3+. Conversely, Netscape 4, MSN TV
    (aka. WebTV) and most text-only browsers *do not* support it.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Dvid D. wrote:
    > Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

    You mean with the default settings?

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 10, 2005
  4. David D.

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "David D." <> wrote:

    >Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

    Do support: IE since version 3, Opera since version 3, Netscape since
    version 6, other Gecko browsers since about the same time, Safari and
    Konqueror since version ?

    Of course not all of them support iframes in the same way and some of
    the above give the users the ability to turn them off. And even if
    they do support them to the full extent of the spec that still leaves
    the usability problems that are inherent.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Jan 10, 2005
  5. David D.

    David D. Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > Dvid D. wrote:
    > > Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

    > You mean with the default settings?
    >
    > -=tn=-

    Yes. In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME without checking
    browser types and adding different code for various browsers. I know that
    it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large percent of
    the browsers that people have currently installed.

    David D., Jan 11, 2005
  6. David D.

    David D. Guest

    David D., Jan 11, 2005
  7. "David D." <> wrote:

    > In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME

    Normally not. What would you use it for?

    > without checking
    > browser types and adding different code for various browsers.

    Fact 1 of the WWW: You cannot reliably recognize the browser, its version,
    its settings, the screen resolution, the browser window size, or the shoe
    size of the user.
    Fact 2: You will mostly just mess things up in trying to do recognize them,
    though at times you only waste everyone's time.

    > I know
    > that it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large
    > percent of the browsers that people have currently installed.

    We all start at a situation where our HTML works for 100 %, but many of us
    spend quite some time and energy to get the percentage smaller and are
    eager to know how far they've got. (Of course, they only get wrong numbers,
    since 96.6 % of all percentages have just been made up.)

    I would guess that you would use IFRAME for simple inclusion. In that case,
    check the FAQ entry on how to include an HTML page in another.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 11, 2005
  8. David D.

    Toby Inkster Guest

    David D. wrote:

    > Yes. In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME without checking
    > browser types and adding different code for various browsers. I know that
    > it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large percent of
    > the browsers that people have currently installed.

    Why not do this?

    <iframe height="100" width="200" src="blah"><a
    href="blah">blah</a></iframe>

    Then most people get the IFRAME and everybody else sees a plain link.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 11, 2005
  9. David D.

    David D. Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > David D. wrote:
    >
    > > Yes. In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME without checking
    > > browser types and adding different code for various browsers. I know

    that
    > > it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large percent

    of
    > > the browsers that people have currently installed.

    > Why not do this?
    >
    > <iframe height="100" width="200" src="blah"><a
    > href="blah">blah</a></iframe>
    >
    > Then most people get the IFRAME and everybody else sees a plain link.
    >
    > --
    > Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Thanks for the suggestion, Toby.

    Alternatively you could have minimal inline HTML logic instead of the <a
    ....></a>. That way you get a simplified version of what you wanted to
    accomplish with the IFRAME.

    - David

    David D., Jan 12, 2005
  10. David D.

    jake Guest

    In message <>, David D.
    <> writes
    >"Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    >> David D. wrote:
    >>
    >> > Yes. In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME without checking
    >> > browser types and adding different code for various browsers. I know

    >that
    >> > it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large percent

    >of
    >> > the browsers that people have currently installed.

    >> Why not do this?
    >>
    >> <iframe height="100" width="200" src="blah"><a
    >> href="blah">blah</a></iframe>
    >>
    >> Then most people get the IFRAME and everybody else sees a plain link.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    >> Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

    > Thanks for the suggestion, Toby.
    >
    > Alternatively you could have minimal inline HTML logic instead of the <a
    >...></a>. That way you get a simplified version of what you wanted to
    >accomplish with the IFRAME.
    >
    > - David

    It all depends on what you're going to put in the Iframe.

    If it's some text, then that's fine.

    However, if -- for example -- it's a series of images, then you may want
    a series of pages to replicate the functionality, and so a link to the
    first alternative page would be the correct choice.

    regards.

    --
    Jake

    jake, Jan 12, 2005