Which browsers support <IFRAME> ?

Dylan Parry

David said:
Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

AFAIK the following browsers support it: IE6, Mozilla (inc. Netscape 6+,
Firefox etc), Opera 5+, Konqueror 3+. Conversely, Netscape 4, MSN TV
(aka. WebTV) and most text-only browsers *do not* support it.

Steve Pugh

David D. said:
Which browsers support / do not support IFRAME?

Do support: IE since version 3, Opera since version 3, Netscape since
version 6, other Gecko browsers since about the same time, Safari and
Konqueror since version ?

Of course not all of them support iframes in the same way and some of
the above give the users the ability to turn them off. And even if
they do support them to the full extent of the spec that still leaves
the usability problems that are inherent.

Steve

David D.

Travis Newbury said:
You mean with the default settings?

-=tn=-

Yes. In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME without checking
browser types and adding different code for various browsers. I know that
it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large percent of
the browsers that people have currently installed.

Jukka K. Korpela

David D. said:
In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME

Normally not. What would you use it for?
without checking
browser types and adding different code for various browsers.

Fact 1 of the WWW: You cannot reliably recognize the browser, its version,
its settings, the screen resolution, the browser window size, or the shoe
size of the user.
Fact 2: You will mostly just mess things up in trying to do recognize them,
though at times you only waste everyone's time.
I know
that it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large
percent of the browsers that people have currently installed.

We all start at a situation where our HTML works for 100 %, but many of us
spend quite some time and energy to get the percentage smaller and are
eager to know how far they've got. (Of course, they only get wrong numbers,
since 96.6 % of all percentages have just been made up.)

I would guess that you would use IFRAME for simple inclusion. In that case,
check the FAQ entry on how to include an HTML page in another.

Toby Inkster

David said:
Yes. In other words, is it reasonable to use IFRAME without checking
browser types and adding different code for various browsers. I know that
it won't work everywhere, but I just want it to work for a large percent of
the browsers that people have currently installed.

Why not do this?

<iframe height="100" width="200" src="blah"><a
href="blah">blah</a></iframe>

Then most people get the IFRAME and everybody else sees a plain link.

David D.

Toby Inkster said:
Why not do this?

<iframe height="100" width="200" src="blah"><a
href="blah">blah</a></iframe>

Then most people get the IFRAME and everybody else sees a plain link.

Thanks for the suggestion, Toby.

Alternatively you could have minimal inline HTML logic instead of the <a
....></a>. That way you get a simplified version of what you wanted to
accomplish with the IFRAME.

- David

jake

David D. said:
Thanks for the suggestion, Toby.

Alternatively you could have minimal inline HTML logic instead of the <a
...></a>. That way you get a simplified version of what you wanted to
accomplish with the IFRAME.

- David
It all depends on what you're going to put in the Iframe.

If it's some text, then that's fine.

However, if -- for example -- it's a series of images, then you may want
a series of pages to replicate the functionality, and so a link to the
first alternative page would be the correct choice.

regards.