    8. Design Patterns by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, and
    John Vlissides,
    9. The Design and Evolution of C++

    puzzlecracker, Oct 15, 2009

  2. puzzlecracker

    Richard Guest

    My list:

    C Programming Language (K&R)
    C++ Programming Language, 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions
    C++ FAQs
    Practical C++
    C++ Programming Guidelines
    ATL Internals
    Modern C++ Design
    C++ Templates
    Effective C++, 3rd ed.
    C++ Standard Library
    C++ IOStreams

    and probably a couple more

    Richard, Oct 15, 2009

  3. On Oct 15, 1:32 pm, (Richard) wrote:

    > My list:
    >
    > C Programming Language (K&R)
    > C++ Programming Language, 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions
    > C++ FAQs
    > Practical C++
    > C++ Programming Guidelines
    > ATL Internals
    > Modern C++ Design
    > C++ Templates
    > Effective C++, 3rd ed.
    > C++ Standard Library
    > C++ IOStreams
    >
    > and probably a couple more
    > --
    > "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" -- DirectX 9 draft available for download
    >  <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com/the-direct3d-graphics-pipeline/>
    >
    >       Legalize Adulthood! <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>

    Those, except "C++ Templates" though I've seen it. Schildt, Harbison
    and Steele, I have a copy of the ISO Language Reference Manual.

    "C++ Programming Guidelines", "Practical C++", also I might not know
    these either.

    Locales, C++, X and Motif quick reference guide, no, that is not C++.

    I like Herb Schildt's book I don't see what's so wrong with it as
    people say. Herb Schildt's book is a listing of the functions in C
    and C++ of relevance with old I/O streams. He explains how to use
    them and leaves it to the reader. I haven't found any errors in it,
    using it before, "C++, the Complete Reference".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Schildt

    Really though I haven't written and published a book myself so, I
    think these are each good books. For example you published a Direct3D
    book, no. Is that not so, Richard? I look forward to reading it
    again, I guess.

    I have been reading the Language Reference Manual sometimes, really
    the syntax browser at the hcb or so is a preferable way to intepret "C+
    +". I have read those before and own copies of most of those books.
    Probably, lots of people reading this have read all those books then
    chewed them up to make C++. Imagine Bjarne Stroustrup's bookshelf:
    every C++ book, which is like three. I've seen maybe ten, fifteen,
    twenty other C++ books on the shelves, only C++ books with only C++.

    A book is very convenient, for example without the internet, the C++
    book is an excellent investment, they should make them large type for
    coffee tables. Really I imagine if we all started trading C++ reading
    lists in this thread then it would be convenient to reform them, the
    lists. I've been reading comp.lang.c++ where each day they are
    posting links.

    I am interested in the general compositor framework, here I have been
    working to realize these C++ frameworks exactly as I have described
    them. My general idea obviously at this point is to write a program
    to read that and make it so. Luckily, conveniently, it's the same
    program. I use the general compositor framework to resyntactize the
    sentences. The iterator adapters are quite a different and useful
    pattern and reading some of STLSoft was very enlightening. I got some
    new template ideas from that that really made me happy. The other
    day, there at least are more C++ posts on comp.lang.c++ than non C++
    posts.

    Ross Finlayson

    Ross A. Finlayson, Oct 16, 2009
  4. I recommend Thinking in C++ Vol.1 & 2. Online versions available for free
    but authors need to eat so please order copies of them for your local public
    library from amazon.com!

    Lora Reinholtz, Oct 16, 2009
  5. puzzlecracker

    Richard Guest

    "Ross A. Finlayson" <> spake the secret code
    <> thusly:

    >"C++ Programming Guidelines", "Practical C++", also I might not know
    >these either.

    The former is an older style guide by Plum & Saks:
    <http://tinyurl.com/yhb9e3y>

    The latter is by Mark Terribile and is an older C++ book that isn't so
    useful today because many of the things he talks about as possibly
    standard in later editions of C++ are actually standard now.
    <http://tinyurl.com/yhz2o7j>

    He does have some good design discussion, though.

    >I like Herb Schildt's book I don't see what's so wrong with it as
    >people say. [...]

    I'm not sure which Schildt book you're referring to here, I know he
    has several.

    As long as it doesn't contain factual errors, than its a matter of
    personal preference. When I was looking for a book on the standard
    library, Josuttis was just the kind of book I wanted. I later taught
    an internal training course on the standard library at Philips Digital
    Video Systems around 1999. I recommended we use the Jossuttis book
    and the person who split the teaching duty with me recommended
    Shildt's book. Once he was familiar with the standard library, he
    admitted that Josuttis served as a better long-term reference. I tend
    to stay away from books that are only of use to me when learning a
    topic for the first time. If I'm going to spend $60 on a book, I want
    it to contain lasting advice and be useful as a reference on my
    bookshelf. If I just need a tutorial like introduction to a topic,
    then I'll use the web.

    >Really though I haven't written and published a book myself so, I
    >think these are each good books. For example you published a Direct3D
    >book, no. Is that not so, Richard? I look forward to reading it
    >again, I guess.

    It's been published on the web for free; there is no dead tree edition.

    After firing one (well known) publisher for being less than worthless
    and being ignored by a second, I'm not so keen on dead tree edition
    publishers anymore.

    I don't have a copy of the standard, but have considered getting one
    because of the number of times its been recommended.

    Richard, Oct 19, 2009