Which C++ books did you read cover-to-cover?

puzzlecracker

Here is my list of C++ books I have read cover-to-cover. I am curious
about the rest of C++ community, including both professional/seasoned
programmers and newcomers.

1. C++ programming language, 3rd edition
2. Effective C++
3. More Effective C++
4. Exceptional C++
5. More Exceptional C++
6. Effective STL
7. C++ Coding Standards
8. Design Patterns by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, and
John Vlissides,
9. The Design and Evolution of C++

Richard

My list:

C Programming Language (K&R)
C++ Programming Language, 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions
C++ FAQs
Practical C++
C++ Programming Guidelines
ATL Internals
Modern C++ Design
C++ Templates
Effective C++, 3rd ed.
C++ Standard Library
C++ IOStreams

and probably a couple more

Ross A. Finlayson

My list:

C Programming Language (K&R)
C++ Programming Language, 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions
C++ FAQs
Practical C++
C++ Programming Guidelines
ATL Internals
Modern C++ Design
C++ Templates
Effective C++, 3rd ed.
C++ Standard Library
C++ IOStreams

and probably a couple more

Those, except "C++ Templates" though I've seen it. Schildt, Harbison
and Steele, I have a copy of the ISO Language Reference Manual.

"C++ Programming Guidelines", "Practical C++", also I might not know
these either.

Locales, C++, X and Motif quick reference guide, no, that is not C++.

I like Herb Schildt's book I don't see what's so wrong with it as
people say. Herb Schildt's book is a listing of the functions in C
and C++ of relevance with old I/O streams. He explains how to use
them and leaves it to the reader. I haven't found any errors in it,
using it before, "C++, the Complete Reference".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Schildt

Really though I haven't written and published a book myself so, I
think these are each good books. For example you published a Direct3D
book, no. Is that not so, Richard? I look forward to reading it
again, I guess.

I have been reading the Language Reference Manual sometimes, really
the syntax browser at the hcb or so is a preferable way to intepret "C+
+". I have read those before and own copies of most of those books.
Probably, lots of people reading this have read all those books then
chewed them up to make C++. Imagine Bjarne Stroustrup's bookshelf:
every C++ book, which is like three. I've seen maybe ten, fifteen,
twenty other C++ books on the shelves, only C++ books with only C++.

A book is very convenient, for example without the internet, the C++
book is an excellent investment, they should make them large type for
coffee tables. Really I imagine if we all started trading C++ reading
lists in this thread then it would be convenient to reform them, the
lists. I've been reading comp.lang.c++ where each day they are
posting links.

I am interested in the general compositor framework, here I have been
working to realize these C++ frameworks exactly as I have described
them. My general idea obviously at this point is to write a program
to read that and make it so. Luckily, conveniently, it's the same
program. I use the general compositor framework to resyntactize the
sentences. The iterator adapters are quite a different and useful
pattern and reading some of STLSoft was very enlightening. I got some
new template ideas from that that really made me happy. The other
day, there at least are more C++ posts on comp.lang.c++ than non C++
posts.

Ross Finlayson

Lora Reinholtz

I recommend Thinking in C++ Vol.1 & 2. Online versions available for free
but authors need to eat so please order copies of them for your local public
library from amazon.com!

Richard

"Ross A. Finlayson" <[email protected]> spake the secret code
"C++ Programming Guidelines", "Practical C++", also I might not know
these either.

The former is an older style guide by Plum & Saks:
<http://tinyurl.com/yhb9e3y>

The latter is by Mark Terribile and is an older C++ book that isn't so
useful today because many of the things he talks about as possibly
standard in later editions of C++ are actually standard now.
<http://tinyurl.com/yhz2o7j>

He does have some good design discussion, though.
I like Herb Schildt's book I don't see what's so wrong with it as
people say. [...]

I'm not sure which Schildt book you're referring to here, I know he
has several.

As long as it doesn't contain factual errors, than its a matter of
personal preference. When I was looking for a book on the standard
library, Josuttis was just the kind of book I wanted. I later taught
an internal training course on the standard library at Philips Digital
Video Systems around 1999. I recommended we use the Jossuttis book
and the person who split the teaching duty with me recommended
Shildt's book. Once he was familiar with the standard library, he
admitted that Josuttis served as a better long-term reference. I tend
to stay away from books that are only of use to me when learning a
topic for the first time. If I'm going to spend $60 on a book, I want
it to contain lasting advice and be useful as a reference on my
bookshelf. If I just need a tutorial like introduction to a topic,
then I'll use the web.
Really though I haven't written and published a book myself so, I
think these are each good books. For example you published a Direct3D
book, no. Is that not so, Richard? I look forward to reading it
again, I guess.

It's been published on the web for free; there is no dead tree edition.

After firing one (well known) publisher for being less than worthless
and being ignored by a second, I'm not so keen on dead tree edition
publishers anymore.

I don't have a copy of the standard, but have considered getting one
because of the number of times its been recommended.