    Jabber ID:
    Time Zone: UTC +2
    Location: South Africa (Zuid Afrika)

    Jens Thiede, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Jens Thiede wrote:
    > What advice would you give to a person that has some experience in OOP
    > (Java, Python) and some experience in C, and would like to learn C++?

    Like the old joke goes: "Forget all that you learned before". No, not
    really. But seriously speaking, programming in C++ is harder than in
    Java or Python, although it is [at least to me] more rewarding in more
    ways than one.

    Get a good book. Start with "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo, or
    try "The C++ Programming Language" (although I saw some people's claims
    that the latter one is hard to comprehend).

    C++ can be taken in steps, it can be used only partially, as a "better
    C", as it's called by some. Whether you really want that or not is up
    to you, but the complexity of the language does suggest that whoever
    embarks on learning C++ should not attempt to comprehend absolutely
    everything at once. Thus, my advice is to avoid books like "Learn C++
    in a weekend". The title is rather misleading, the contents of such
    books are questionable.

    Visit www.accu.org, the book review section, and look up any book you
    encounter (or are going to buy). IOW, do your homework before you give
    your money to those who kill trees for no good reason.

    As to web sites, I don't know of any. When I was learning C++ there was
    no Web. Newsgroups were and still are my primary "other" source of C++
    information.

    Victor Bazarov, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Jens Thiede <> wrote in news:ceeadi$nj9$1@ctb-
    nnrp2.saix.net:

    > What advice would you give to a person that has some experience in OOP
    > (Java, Python) and some experience in C, and would like to learn C++?

    I learned it using "C++ Programming: Program Design Including Data
    Structures." by D.S. Malick. (yes, that is his real name). I'd recommend
    it, but the exercises tend to more tedious than they should be, and I've
    run into some people who REALLY didn't like it.
    You should also prepare to get a copy of "The C++ Programming Language"
    since it is, obviously, the ultimate reference to the language. I don't
    think I'd start with it.
    Some people like "C++ Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata, but I think its
    priorities are warped. It brings in pointers a bit too early, even before
    arrays! And since I was able to do a side-by-side comparison, I preferred
    Malik's book, and it does go further than the Primer does (into data
    structures, for one thing)

    -==Kensu==-

    Chris Schumacher, Jul 31, 2004
  4. Jens Thiede wrote:

    > What advice would you give to a person that has some experience in OOP
    > (Java, Python) and some experience in C, and would like to learn C++?

    "Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koenig, Barbara Moo.

    Also check http://www.accu.org for Book reviews.

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

    Ioannis Vranos, Jul 31, 2004
  5. Since you say you already know C as I did, I started with "C++ for C
    Programmers" by Ira Pohl. A little out of date now.

    Dan
    --
    Daniel A. Graifer

    Daniel Graifer, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Peter van Merkerk, Aug 3, 2004
  7. Jens Thiede

    jeffc Guest

    "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message

    > As to web sites, I don't know of any. When I was learning C++ there was
    > no Web. Newsgroups were and still are my primary "other" source of C++
    > information.

    You can get a free e-book here
    http://www.mindview.net/

    jeffc, Aug 3, 2004