Which C++ books/tutorials would be recommended?

Jens Thiede

What advice would you give to a person that has some experience in OOP
(Java, Python) and some experience in C, and would like to learn C++?

Thanks in advance,

Jens.

Victor Bazarov

Jens said:
What advice would you give to a person that has some experience in OOP
(Java, Python) and some experience in C, and would like to learn C++?

Like the old joke goes: "Forget all that you learned before". No, not
really. But seriously speaking, programming in C++ is harder than in
Java or Python, although it is [at least to me] more rewarding in more
ways than one.

Get a good book. Start with "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo, or
try "The C++ Programming Language" (although I saw some people's claims
that the latter one is hard to comprehend).

C++ can be taken in steps, it can be used only partially, as a "better
C", as it's called by some. Whether you really want that or not is up
to you, but the complexity of the language does suggest that whoever
embarks on learning C++ should not attempt to comprehend absolutely
everything at once. Thus, my advice is to avoid books like "Learn C++
in a weekend". The title is rather misleading, the contents of such
books are questionable.

Visit www.accu.org, the book review section, and look up any book you
encounter (or are going to buy). IOW, do your homework before you give
your money to those who kill trees for no good reason.

As to web sites, I don't know of any. When I was learning C++ there was
no Web. Newsgroups were and still are my primary "other" source of C++
information.

Chris Schumacher

What advice would you give to a person that has some experience in OOP
(Java, Python) and some experience in C, and would like to learn C++?

I learned it using "C++ Programming: Program Design Including Data
Structures." by D.S. Malick. (yes, that is his real name). I'd recommend
it, but the exercises tend to more tedious than they should be, and I've
run into some people who REALLY didn't like it.
You should also prepare to get a copy of "The C++ Programming Language"
since it is, obviously, the ultimate reference to the language. I don't
think I'd start with it.
Some people like "C++ Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata, but I think its
priorities are warped. It brings in pointers a bit too early, even before
arrays! And since I was able to do a side-by-side comparison, I preferred
Malik's book, and it does go further than the Primer does (into data
structures, for one thing)

-==Kensu==-

Daniel Graifer

Since you say you already know C as I did, I started with "C++ for C
Programmers" by Ira Pohl. A little out of date now.

Dan