Which course to do

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Sean, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Sean

    Sean Guest

    Hi

    I am trying to decide what course to do. I have almost completed my
    Win2k MCSA and am an IT Administrator for a community organisation. I
    want to do a course that will get me up speed fairly quickly with
    website design/maintenance database maintenance. I am currently
    learning to use dreamweaver MX 2004 and have a basic understanding of
    HTML.

    The choses I have in Australia are.

    Cert IV IT Multimedia And Website Design and the Dip IT Multimedia
    Integration & Website Dev.

    I can only do these part time. The Cert IV is 3y and the Dip is 6y
    p/t.

    Can anyone suggest a way to achive my goals?

    Thanks

    Sean

    Sean, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Sean

    Cameron Guest

    Sean wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to decide what course to do. I have almost completed my
    > Win2k MCSA and am an IT Administrator for a community organisation. I
    > want to do a course that will get me up speed fairly quickly with
    > website design/maintenance database maintenance. I am currently
    > learning to use dreamweaver MX 2004 and have a basic understanding of
    > HTML.
    >
    > The choses I have in Australia are.
    >
    > Cert IV IT Multimedia And Website Design and the Dip IT Multimedia
    > Integration & Website Dev.
    >
    > I can only do these part time. The Cert IV is 3y and the Dip is 6y
    > p/t.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a way to achive my goals?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Sean

    Well if you wish to become adapt at website design and maintenance you
    really need to be able to write HTML very well and as close to the
    specifications set down by the w3c as you can.

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Sean

    Steve R. Guest

    Steve R., Jan 5, 2004
  4. "Sean" <> wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to decide what course to do. I have almost completed my
    > Win2k MCSA and am an IT Administrator for a community organisation. I
    > want to do a course that will get me up speed fairly quickly with
    > website design/maintenance database maintenance. I am currently
    > learning to use dreamweaver MX 2004 and have a basic understanding of
    > HTML.
    >
    > The choses I have in Australia are.
    >
    > Cert IV IT Multimedia And Website Design and the Dip IT Multimedia
    > Integration & Website Dev.

    Can I ask where in Australia you are located? I can give you advise in
    Melbourne and area, but not sure about other states.

    Fredo Vincentis, Jan 5, 2004
  5. Sean

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:26:36 +1100, Sean <> wrote:

    >I am trying to decide what course to do.

    Try for one where you learn something, rather than one where you gain
    a qualification. Maybe Australia is different, but in the UK and the
    USA there are no well-regarded qualifications. Experience gets you a
    job, rather than skill, but either is better than paperwork.

    >want to do a course that will get me up speed fairly quickly with
    >website design/maintenance database maintenance. I am currently
    >learning to use dreamweaver MX 2004 and have a basic understanding of
    >HTML.

    That's not a bad start. Then you'll be needing Cynicism 101, and some
    background on the underlying standards. Much depends on whether you
    want to understand HTML, or whether you want a job (there are very few
    jobs in understanding HTML).

    Most jobs are in dumbly driving tools like Dreamweaver. For most
    purposes, this suffices (for Dreamweaver today is a lot better than
    the older tools). If you want to _understand_ though (which isn't as
    useful as you'd hope) then try reading the source material itself -
    the W3C recs.

    >I can only do these part time. The Cert IV is 3y and the Dip is 6y
    >p/t.

    3 or 6 _years_ ? I can't imagine any useful web course on that
    timescale - it would be obsolete by the time you got to the end of it.

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Jan 5, 2004
  6. Sean

    Sean Guest

    Hi

    I am in Melbourne (Aspendale) south eastern suburbs.

    Thanks

    Sean

    Sean, Jan 6, 2004
  7. "Sean" <> wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > I am in Melbourne (Aspendale) south eastern suburbs.

    Swinburne is a pretty good place to go to . They have got a wide range of
    courses and subjects from which you can chose. You could do a Multimedia
    course, as they allow you to chose from a broad range of courses.

    If you want to start with an introduction to server-side languages, have a
    look at "The Internet & WWW". This won't cover HTML, but rather Javascript
    and ASP.

    They also offer a range of subjects on database design or server
    maintenance, if you are interested in that.

    Victoria University is a bit more oriented towards the Arts. They also offer
    some multimedia courses, but they cover such things as Flash, Director and
    Video as well as HTML.

    RMIT I have heard is more technical again. But I am not quite sure about the
    range of subjects or courses there.

    Personally I would say look at Swinburne. Good teaching staff and wide range
    of subjects.

    Hope this helps.

    Fredo Vincentis, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Sean

    Sean Guest

    That you all for your advice and recommendations.

    Sean, Jan 8, 2004