Which Data Web Control to Use?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by news.microsoft.com, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. I'm working on my first complex data web control page. I've used Repeaters
    and DataGrids several times in the past for the standard "display database
    table data and allow in place editing". This next part is a bit more
    involved and I'm unsure how to proceed.

    For each facility, we have zero to many escape capsules. Each escape
    capsule, at any given time, has zero or one Captains and zero or one First
    Mates. Part of my requirements are to make the interface for this
    application mimic the current interface, which was written in "traditional"
    ASP.

    I need, for each escape capsule, the following: one line that has (1) the
    escape capsule name (up to 5 chars), (2) a dropdownlist with the names of
    everyone assigned to the escape capsule except the First Mate (this ddl is
    used to choose the Captain), and (3) the count of people assigned to the
    escape capsule. Then there must be a second line with a dropdownlist
    directly below the first. This ddl has the names of all assigned to escape
    capsule except the Captain and it is used to select the First Mate.

    An additional requirement is that these ddls be enabled for editing at any
    time. In other words, they can currently just select a new name from the
    list and have it update without having to click on an Edit and Update
    button/link.

    Which control would be best for this? How would I set it up to be editable
    at any given time?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Mike