Which do you prefer? Dataset (XSD) gui or hand coding

Cirene

Do you prefer writing your DAL code by hand, or do you like to use the
graphical interface of creating XSD datasets in Visual Studio 2008?

What do you feel are the pros/cons?

I hope this makes sense...

sloan

If the project is going to last more than 6 months, then hand coding.

However, when creating a strongly typed data set, I still use the GUI.
Right Click, Add Table.
Right Click, Add Column.

I just don't wire up table adapters.

I actually like the 1.1 days better when I could see the xml, and make edits
there.
Yes, I could do it in notepad...but I like the 1.1 days of this specific
thing.
(Don't get me wrong, that's a drop in the bucket compared to everything you
get in 2.0 and up).

RAPID != Good. I find the maintenance aspect much easier to deal with when
I avoid the MS Voodoo of dragging tables into datasets, etc, etc.

Cirene

sloan said:
If the project is going to last more than 6 months, then hand coding.

So, for bigger projects that you will have to maintain you like to hand code
the DAL, to call the stored procs, etc...?
However, when creating a strongly typed data set, I still use the GUI.
Right Click, Add Table.
Right Click, Add Column.

I just don't wire up table adapters.

Is this in the case where you want to use disconnected data?
RAPID != Good. I find the maintenance aspect much easier to deal with
when I avoid the MS Voodoo of dragging tables into datasets, etc, etc.

MS Voodoo = LOL

sloan

Except for reports (where I use strong datasets mainly), I use custom
objects and custom business collections 98% of the time now.

For strong datasets, I use the EnterpriseLibrary.Data "LoadDataSet" method.

For custom business objects/collections, I use IDataReaders and either
single or multiple resultsets coming back from Sql Server (2000,2005).

Here is a sampling:
http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!158.entry

If you go to:
http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/
I have a "Custom Business Objects" version 2.0 and original version (1.1).

//Is this in the case where you want to use disconnected data?//
Mainly strong datasets.

I use custom business objects and collections...and use optimisitic
(timestamp/rowversion) stuff when concurrency is an issue.

Cirene

In theory there should be NO SQL statements or stored procedure names in the
Business Object tier, correct? It should only be in the DAL????

I'm trying to learn the "right" way to do it...

mohaaron

In theory there should be NO SQL statements or stored procedure names in the
Business Object tier, correct?  It should only be in the DAL????

I'm trying to learn the "right" way to do it...

Well, I going to have to plug my favorite product here. I've been
using LLBLGen Pro for years now and love it. I have no affiliation
with the company in any way, I just think it's best product I've used
to date for the money.

Cirene

Does LLBLGen Pro create the stored procedures for you? Does it work well
with MySQL and Visual Studio.net?