which doctype to use?? and one other

bbxrider

this is my first page so i'm terribly lost on which doctype to use, i'm
hoping there's a basic type that doesn't require hours of research
i had been using,
<!DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
<!-- -->
<HTML>
but that stopped working and now can't seem to find one that works
it also started invoking the post - action, even when the validation is
returning false?? that is really weird

with different doc types it then asks for a coding reference?
its a pretty basic page, with a medium size form
http://job1data.com/phsvolunteer.htm

and this code seems to work fine in the page but the validator has it pegged
as an error, i was hoping to use jscript to avoid all the coding for dates
it seemed an easy way to build a larger select list
</SELECT>
year* <SELECT size=1 name="dobYYYY">
<script type="text/javascript">
d = new Date();
var year = d.getFullYear();
year = parseFloat(year);
for (i = year; i > (year - 80) ; i--) {
document.write("<OPTION> " + i);
}
</script>
</SELECT>

bbxrider

thanks for the help, i will have to try it but am guessing if i execute the
javascript, runat=server,
the actual html will be generated at the server, so the 'completed' page
will be delivered to the
client browser and thanks for the short cut tip on the date
Dr John Stockton said:
JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen

parseFloat() serves no useful purpose there.

You could use
year = new Date().getFullYear()
or
year = (D=new Date()).getFullYear()