which doctype to use?? and one other

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by bbxrider, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. bbxrider

    bbxrider Guest

    this is my first page so i'm terribly lost on which doctype to use, i'm
    hoping there's a basic type that doesn't require hours of research
    i had been using,
    <!DOCTYPE html
    PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    <!-- -->
    <HTML>
    but that stopped working and now can't seem to find one that works
    it also started invoking the post - action, even when the validation is
    returning false?? that is really weird

    with different doc types it then asks for a coding reference?
    its a pretty basic page, with a medium size form
    http://job1data.com/phsvolunteer.htm

    and this code seems to work fine in the page but the validator has it pegged
    as an error, i was hoping to use jscript to avoid all the coding for dates
    it seemed an easy way to build a larger select list
    </SELECT>
    year* <SELECT size=1 name="dobYYYY">
    <script type="text/javascript">
    d = new Date();
    var year = d.getFullYear();
    year = parseFloat(year);
    for (i = year; i > (year - 80) ; i--) {
    document.write("<OPTION> " + i);
    }
    </script>
    </SELECT>

    bbxrider, Aug 9, 2003

  2. bbxrider

    bbxrider Guest

    thanks for the help, i will have to try it but am guessing if i execute the
    javascript, runat=server,
    the actual html will be generated at the server, so the 'completed' page
    will be delivered to the
    client browser and thanks for the short cut tip on the date
    "Dr John Stockton" <> wrote in message
    > JRS: In article <ZKXYa.67820$>, seen
    > in news:comp.lang.javascript, bbxrider <> posted at
    > Sat, 9 Aug 2003 01:02:49 :-
    >
    > >d = new Date();
    > >var year = d.getFullYear();
    > >year = parseFloat(year);

    > parseFloat() serves no useful purpose there.
    >
    > You could use
    > year = new Date().getFullYear()
    > or
    > year = (D=new Date()).getFullYear()