Which document is the current C++ standard?

Discussion in 'C++' started by jason.cipriani@gmail.com, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I'm trying to find a copy of the "current" C++ standard (or, more
    accurately, the one that most people refer to when they cite a section
    number as a reference). I don't know much about it... there's C++03, C+
    +0x which I guess isn't out yet, stuff before that. And there are also
    a lot of documents with numbers that I don't understand. Mostly I'm
    looking at documents here:

    http://www.open-std.org/

    Now, this page:

    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_defects.html

    Refers to document "J16/07-0331 = WG21 N2461"... I can't really decode
    that document number but it's this one:

    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2461.pdf

    And it's entitled:

    "Working Draft, Standard for Programming Language C++"

    Except it has this (amusing) footnote:

    "Note: this is an early draft. It's known to be incomplet and
    incorrekt, and it has lots of bad formatting."

    So I'm guessing that's not the document I'm looking for. So my
    questions are:

    1) What document am I looking for?
    2) Where can I obtain it?
    3) What version "J16/07-0331 = WG21 N2461"? Is that the C++0x draft?

    Thanks,
    Jason

    , Feb 20, 2008

  2. Pete Becker Guest

    On 2008-02-20 14:42:57 -0500, ""
    <> said:

    > I'm trying to find a copy of the "current" C++ standard (or, more
    > accurately, the one that most people refer to when they cite a section
    > number as a reference). I don't know much about it... there's C++03, C+
    > +0x which I guess isn't out yet, stuff before that. And there are also
    > a lot of documents with numbers that I don't understand. Mostly I'm
    > looking at documents here:

    C++ 03 is the current standard. It's available from webstore.ansi.org.
    Search for document number 14882.

    > http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2461.pdf
    >
    > And it's entitled:
    >
    > "Working Draft, Standard for Programming Language C++"

    Anything with "Working Draft" in the title is a working draft, that is,
    a contemporaneous draft of the next standard. The working draft changes
    several times each year. N2521 is the most recent.

    --
    Pete
    (www.petebecker.com/tr1book)

    Pete Becker, Feb 20, 2008

  3. Victor Bazarov, Feb 20, 2008
  4. Pete Becker Guest

    On 2008-02-20 14:59:51 -0500, "Victor Bazarov" <> said:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> 3) What version "J16/07-0331 = WG21 N2461"? Is that the C++0x draft?

    > Yes.

    Well, it's one of them. <g> N2521 is the most recent, and has major additions.

    --
    Pete
    (www.petebecker.com/tr1book)

    Pete Becker, Feb 20, 2008

    On Feb 20, 3:24 pm, Pete Becker <> wrote:
    > [snip]

    Thanks for the FAQ links and info, guys.

    Jason

    , Feb 20, 2008

    On Feb 20, 2:59 pm, Pete Becker <> wrote:
    > C++ 03 is the current standard. It's available from webstore.ansi.org.
    > Search for document number 14882.

    Aside from the $308 price difference, is there any other difference
    between:

    INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003

    And:

    ISO/IEC 14882:2003

    ?

    Thanks,
    Jason

    , Feb 20, 2008
  7. wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 2:59 pm, Pete Becker <> wrote:
    >> C++ 03 is the current standard. It's available from
    >> webstore.ansi.org. Search for document number 14882.

    > Aside from the $308 price difference, is there any other difference
    > between:
    >
    > INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003
    >
    > And:
    >
    > ISO/IEC 14882:2003
    >
    > ?

    The front page (or the footer/header on every page), probably. No,
    there should be no difference from the content POV.

    Victor Bazarov, Feb 20, 2008

    On Feb 20, 3:43 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > Aside from the $308 price difference, is there any other difference
    > between:
    > INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003
    > And:
    > ISO/IEC 14882:2003

    You might find googling "14882:2003 filetype:pdf" to
    be of interest.

    Sean

    , Feb 20, 2008

    On Feb 20, 3:58 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > The front page (or the footer/header on every page), probably. No,
    > there should be no difference from the content POV.

    Thanks. On digging into it a little deeper, I *think* that the more
    expensive one is a hard copy, and the cheap one is just the PDF. Of
    course...

    On Feb 20, 4:31 pm, wrote:
    > You might find googling "14882:2003 filetype:pdf" to
    > be of interest.

    Thanks for that; saved me $30 (or at least a search on BitTorrent). :)

    Jason

    , Feb 21, 2008
  10. wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 3:58 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    >> The front page (or the footer/header on every page), probably. No,
    >> there should be no difference from the content POV.

    > Thanks. On digging into it a little deeper, I *think* that the more
    > expensive one is a hard copy, and the cheap one is just the PDF. Of
    > course...
    >
    > On Feb 20, 4:31 pm, wrote:
    >> You might find googling "14882:2003 filetype:pdf" to
    >> be of interest.

    > Thanks for that; saved me $30 (or at least a search on BitTorrent). :)

    Whoever is allowing you to download the document for free is breaking
    the copyright law, just so you know. Nobody except ISO and ANSI (by
    the virtue of being essentially part of ISO) has a right to distribute
    that document. Not that it seems to bother those who don't care for
    the copyright laws...

    Victor Bazarov, Feb 21, 2008