Which document is the current C++ standard?

jason.cipriani

I'm trying to find a copy of the "current" C++ standard (or, more
accurately, the one that most people refer to when they cite a section
number as a reference). I don't know much about it... there's C++03, C+
+0x which I guess isn't out yet, stuff before that. And there are also
a lot of documents with numbers that I don't understand. Mostly I'm
looking at documents here:

http://www.open-std.org/

Now, this page:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_defects.html

Refers to document "J16/07-0331 = WG21 N2461"... I can't really decode
that document number but it's this one:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2461.pdf

And it's entitled:

"Working Draft, Standard for Programming Language C++"

Except it has this (amusing) footnote:

"Note: this is an early draft. It's known to be incomplet and
incorrekt, and it has lots of bad formatting."

So I'm guessing that's not the document I'm looking for. So my
questions are:

1) What document am I looking for?
2) Where can I obtain it?
3) What version "J16/07-0331 = WG21 N2461"? Is that the C++0x draft?

Thanks,
Jason

Pete Becker

I'm trying to find a copy of the "current" C++ standard (or, more
accurately, the one that most people refer to when they cite a section
number as a reference). I don't know much about it... there's C++03, C+
+0x which I guess isn't out yet, stuff before that. And there are also
a lot of documents with numbers that I don't understand. Mostly I'm
looking at documents here:

C++ 03 is the current standard. It's available from webstore.ansi.org.
Search for document number 14882.
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2461.pdf

And it's entitled:

"Working Draft, Standard for Programming Language C++"

Anything with "Working Draft" in the title is a working draft, that is,
a contemporaneous draft of the next standard. The working draft changes
several times each year. N2521 is the most recent.

jason.cipriani

C++ 03 is the current standard. It's available from webstore.ansi.org.
Search for document number 14882.

Aside from the $308 price difference, is there any other difference
between:

INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003

And:

ISO/IEC 14882:2003

?

Thanks,
Jason

Victor Bazarov

Aside from the $308 price difference, is there any other difference
between:

INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003

And:

ISO/IEC 14882:2003

?

The front page (or the footer/header on every page), probably. No,
there should be no difference from the content POV.

sean_in_raleigh

Aside from the $308 price difference, is there any other difference
between:
INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003
And:
ISO/IEC 14882:2003

You might find googling "14882:2003 filetype:pdf" to
be of interest.

Sean

jason.cipriani

The front page (or the footer/header on every page), probably. No,
there should be no difference from the content POV.

Thanks. On digging into it a little deeper, I *think* that the more
expensive one is a hard copy, and the cheap one is just the PDF. Of
course...

You might find googling "14882:2003 filetype:pdf" to
be of interest.

Thanks for that; saved me $30 (or at least a search on BitTorrent). :)

Jason

Victor Bazarov

Thanks. On digging into it a little deeper, I *think* that the more
expensive one is a hard copy, and the cheap one is just the PDF. Of
course...

Thanks for that; saved me $30 (or at least a search on BitTorrent). :)

Whoever is allowing you to download the document for free is breaking
the copyright law, just so you know. Nobody except ISO and ANSI (by
the virtue of being essentially part of ISO) has a right to distribute
that document. Not that it seems to bother those who don't care for
the copyright laws...