    --
    John

    http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2007/12/20/
    John Bokma, Dec 21, 2007

  2. John Bokma wrote:
    > Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're
    > using to write Perl,

    vim

    > and why (if you want to share).

    a) It was the Unix editor I learned concurrent with learning Perl.
    b) It's good.
    c) It's available on most operating systems.
    d) Inertia.

    If I'd started with Emacs I imagine I'd still be using Emacs.

    > I am currently using Textpad, but in the very near future I am moving to
    > GNU/Linux. I've some experience with using vi(m) for editing work, and
    > have printed both the emacs and vim manual, but not sure which one to
    > start reading first.

    If you've some experience with vim, I suggest you continue on that path.

    > I've had a short peek at Komodo Edit, but considered the start up time way
    > too high. Ages ago I had a peek at Eclipse, but not sure if I am the IDE
    > kind of guy (I manage quite ok with a "perldoc" keymark in Firefox, and
    > perldoc on the cli most of the time).

    I use Eclipse for Java but I see no need to use an IDE for Perl. YMMV.
    RedGrittyBrick, Dec 21, 2007

  3. John Bokma wrote:
    > Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're
    > using to write Perl,

    vim

    > and why (if you want to share).

    I started with ed, dispising full-screen-editors, then learned that vi
    was like ed but full-screen (and it was able to solve a maze ;-), now
    I'm using vim.

    > I am currently using Textpad, but in the very near future I am moving to
    > GNU/Linux. I've some experience with using vi(m) for editing work, and
    > have printed both the emacs and vim manual, but not sure which one to
    > start reading first.
    >
    > I've had a short peek at Komodo Edit, but considered the start up time way
    > too high. Ages ago I had a peek at Eclipse, but not sure if I am the IDE
    > kind of guy (I manage quite ok with a "perldoc" keymark in Firefox, and
    > perldoc on the cli most of the time).

    I sometimes wonder whether using an IDE would help. As the name implies
    it's an *integrated* development environment, where you have the
    documentation readily available and some help in getting the syntax
    right. But I'm too much of a "toolbox" person to be using these big,
    monolithic beasts. Maybe that will change.

    Happy holidays,

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    Josef Moellers, Dec 21, 2007
  4. John Bokma

    gamo Guest

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, John Bokma wrote:

    > Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're
    > using to write Perl, and why (if you want to share).

    JED is a wonderful editor. Especially in EDT mode.
    If you try it and learn how to use the numeric keypad
    to operate, you will be assimilated.

    --
    http://www.telecable.es/personales/gamo/
    perl -E 'say 111_111_111**2;'
    gamo, Dec 21, 2007
  5. John Bokma

    Pavel Lepin Guest

    John Bokma <> wrote in
    <Xns9A0CE8B10A2Ecastleamber@130.133.1.4>:
    > Please no editor war...

    I'll specifically mention then that there is an awful lot of
    good editors and IDEs of all stripes out there, and I
    imagine most of them would work well for writing in Perl.

    > but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're using
    > to write Perl...

    gvim

    > and why (if you want to share).

    It does everything I need from a text editor, it does it
    well, it's lightweight, powerful, ubiquitous, and good for
    reducing repetitive strain injury due to it's non-reliance
    on chords, and most features being invokable without moving
    your hands away from the home row.

    elisp sounds like a wonderful idea, but I'm too lazy to move
    to a different editor when I have one that works so well
    for me. Getting acquainted with vile is on my TODO-list,
    though.

    --
    ....also, I submit that we all must honourably commit seppuku
    right now rather than serve the Dark Side by producing the
    Pavel Lepin, Dec 21, 2007
  6. On 21 Dec 2007 04:52:26 GMT, John Bokma <> wrote:

    >Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're

    jed

    >using to write Perl, and why (if you want to share).

    I stumbled upon it. (Long story not worth, but I was searching for
    emacs, go figure!)

    It suits my needs.

    (As someone else also wrote:) inertia.

    It has Borland's IDE's like keybindings which I got used to many years
    ago.

    Michele
    Michele Dondi, Dec 21, 2007
  7. On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:31:31 +0000, RedGrittyBrick wrote:

    > John Bokma wrote:
    >> Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice
    >> you're using to write Perl,

    > vim

    Emacs

    >> and why (if you want to share).

    > a) It was the Unix editor I learned concurrent with learning Perl.

    Ditto.

    > b) It's good.

    Ditto.

    > c) It's available on most operating systems.

    It's available on all machines I use. Here Vi has an advantage and vim a
    slight advantage.

    > d) Inertia.

    Ditto.

    > If I'd started with Emacs I imagine I'd still be using Emacs.

    I hated vi and I hated Emacs. But Emacs let me do what I wanted to do and
    vi didn't. Nowadays, there is not much between vim and Emacs, but in
    those days there was.

    >> I am currently using Textpad, but in the very near future I am moving
    >> to GNU/Linux. I've some experience with using vi(m) for editing work,
    >> and have printed both the emacs and vim manual, but not sure which one
    >> to start reading first.

    > If you've some experience with vim, I suggest you continue on that path.

    Learning Emacs is rewarding, but it's learning curve is even steeper than
    vim.

    >> I've had a short peek at Komodo Edit, but considered the start up time
    >> way too high. Ages ago I had a peek at Eclipse, but not sure if I am
    >> the IDE kind of guy (I manage quite ok with a "perldoc" keymark in
    >> Firefox, and perldoc on the cli most of the time).

    Like you I don't have use for an IDE, except as a language aware editor.
    With the current crop of IDEs, maybe there is a good one you like. A good
    modern IDE should be usuable out of the box, while both vim and Emacs
    mean you have some learning and getting used to ahead.

    HTH,
    M4
    Martijn Lievaart, Dec 21, 2007
  8. John Bokma

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode, <Xns9A0CE8B10A2Ecastleamber@130.133.1.4>, the lovely
    and talented John Bokma broadcast on comp.lang.perl.misc:

    > Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're
    > using to write Perl, and why (if you want to share).

    Joe. What's not to like? Color for just about any language you can think
    of, "modeless" so it doesn't have the steep (yeah, I know, really shallow)
    learning curve of vi, unlike emacs it is completely customizable so if you
    want to avoid cramps in your left hand you can, powerful and easy macros.

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    Countdown: 396 days to go.
    Lars Eighner, Dec 21, 2007
  9. The sentient life form John Bokma posted the following:

    > Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're
    > using to write Perl, and why (if you want to share).

    gvim/vim with Perl syntax highlighting.

    Very powerful and it's available for many, many platforms, so that I can
    always use it.
    De Vliegende Hollander, Dec 21, 2007
  10. John Bokma <> writes:

    > Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're
    > using to write Perl, and why (if you want to share).

    The last two years I've been using emacs exclusively (I've used it on
    and off for much longer) and forced myself to really get to know
    it. This takes time, but IMHO it's definitely worth it.

    I'm also working on my Lisp knowledge, so having an editor that's
    programmable* in Lisp is cool.

    If you want to try emacs for perl hacking, make sure you use cperl-mode
    instead of perl-mode. Other cool things I've found useful:

    additional minor modes - the following work with many major modes, not
    just perl:

    compile-mode: run your perl code from emacs and jump to errors / warnings.

    imenu-mode: adds a pulldown menu with package/function declarations in
    the current file. Very simple but useful if you want a short file
    overview/navigation and haven't got to grips with all the keyboard
    commands.

    outline-mode: takes the idea of imenu-mode but lets you fold/move
    packages and functions around. Very useful when you've got a large file
    and you want to have an overview of the file's structure / group related
    functions together / move to some other part of the file. The default
    keyboard commands are too complex, though. You really want to set them up
    differently.

    cedet: makes emacs look more like an IDE: adds buffers with speedbar /
    file browser / package inspection etc. Also does some auto-completion
    though that seems to be tuned more for static languages like C++ / Java.

    All of these you can find from EmacsWiki:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/
    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PerlLanguage

    Just recently I've been looking at Sepia, which IMO could become the
    best thing that's happend to perl/emacs in years: real autocompletion,
    live inspection etc. Based on the Lisp/Slime interactive development style.

    http://search.cpan.org/dist/Sepia/

    * This is a huge understatement. Gnu/X Emacsen really aren't
    programmable editors. They're environments for running/building
    interactive applications that involve text editing.

    Joost.
    Joost Diepenmaat, Dec 21, 2007
  11. In article <fkg321$ags$-siemens.com>,
    Josef Moellers <> wrote:
    >John Bokma wrote:
    >> Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're
    >> using to write Perl,

    >vim

    vim and jedit.

    >> and why (if you want to share).

    >I started with ed, dispising full-screen-editors, then learned that vi

    Huh, me too (an ed variant but same principle).

    >was like ed but full-screen (and it was able to solve a maze ;-), now

    (*) Maze?

    --
    -john

    February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
    from the Library of Congress.
    John M. Gamble, Dec 21, 2007
  12. On 21 Dec 2007 04:52:26 GMT, John Bokma <> wrote:

    >Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're
    >using to write Perl, and why (if you want to share).

    emacs with CPerl mode.

    When I started I could never figure out how to convince vi to do what I
    wanted it to do, so I switches to the most powerful editor of the time.
    Not to mention that for emacs you can write your own extensions to do
    whatever you can imagine.

    And now 2 decades later I am still happy with it.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Dec 21, 2007
  13. John Bokma

    TonyV Guest

    On Dec 20, 11:52 pm, John Bokma <> wrote:
    > Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice you're
    > using to write Perl, and why (if you want to share).

    I do almost all of my development on Windows, so I use Notepad++.
    It's got a good featureset, its free, and handles lots of languages
    and file formats. I used to use PSPad for the same reasons, but I
    like Notepad++'s customization abilities a little better. PSPad has
    an excellent built-in FTP client, but I've started using a copy of
    NetDrive to handle mounting FTP connections as filesystems. Much
    easier!

    I'm rather fickle, though. I might be using something totally
    different tomorrow.
    TonyV, Dec 21, 2007
  14. >>>>> "John" == John Bokma <> writes:

    John> Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice
    John> you're using to write Perl, and why (if you want to share).

    That's like saying "Please - no platform wars, but which is better,
    XBOX 360, PS/3, or Wii?". Can't be done. :)

    Randal L. Schwartz, Dec 22, 2007
  15. (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

    > John> Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of choice
    > John> you're using to write Perl, and why (if you want to share).
    >
    > That's like saying "Please - no platform wars, but which is better,
    > XBOX 360, PS/3, or Wii?". Can't be done. :)

    I think the replies so far have been very polite and informative. In any
    case the most objective answer is always "try them all and see what you
    like best". From what I've seen here the reply has been to put forth a
    good case for why people use what they use, without resorting to flaming
    the other opintions, which is probably the best kind of reply you can expect.

    Cheers,
    Joost.
    Joost Diepenmaat, Dec 22, 2007
  16. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

    > John> Please no editor war, but I am curious, what's the editor of
    > choice John> you're using to write Perl, and why (if you want to
    > share).
    >
    > That's like saying "Please - no platform wars, but which is better,
    > XBOX 360, PS/3, or Wii?". Can't be done. :)

    So far it still goes very good.

    And of course I want to know, which editor you are using ;-)

    --
    John

    Arachnids near Coyolillo - part 1
    http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2006/05/04/arachnids-coyolillo-1.html
    John Bokma, Dec 22, 2007
  17. John M. Gamble wrote:
    > In article <fkg321$ags$-siemens.com>,
    > Josef Moellers <> wrote:

    >> was like ed but full-screen (and it was able to solve a maze ;-), now

    > (*) Maze?

    'that a question?

    There was an ingenious script using :map and yank buffers that was able
    to traverse a randomly generated map.

    --
    Mails please to josef dot moellers
    and I'm on gmx dot de.
    Josef Moellers, Dec 22, 2007
  18. John Bokma

    Guest

    On Dec 20, 8:52 pm, John Bokma <> wrote:
    > Pwhat's the editor of choice you're using to write Perl

    For many years it was Nedit. Sometimes Jedit when I didn't have a
    proper X-server available. Lately it's Komodo.

    > and why (if you want to share).

    My main computer at work is a Window$ boxen, but I maintain programs
    on AIX servers. So I need something that works seamlessly over ssh,
    and I personally dislike VI/VIM, and I was intimidated by EMACS (egad
    - I'd rather learn LaTeX). Nedit is the only graphical editor that
    runs worth a fig over an ssh connection (Kate is nice, but SLOW SLOW
    SLOW over a remote connection). Nedit has the best syntax
    highlighting for Perl I have ever seen.

    Jedit (with the SSH plugin) works OK, but syntax highlighting and
    performance (it's Java) leave much to be desired.

    Lately I use Komodo. Why? Somebody else (my employer) pays the
    bill. If Komodo were free, I bet most of the people in this group
    would be using it! Nothing else comes even close. Right now I've got
    22 Perl programs on nine different servers open in a Komodo window.
    It talks to cvs or svn, and has integrated Perl debugging (on the
    remote host), and a boatload of other great stuff. It works
    seamlessly through ssh tunnels. If my computer crashes (as Window$
    tends to do) then I loose nothing.

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)
    , Dec 22, 2007
  19. John Bokma

    rahed Guest

    John Bokma <> writes:
    > And of course I want to know, which editor you are using ;-)

    I'd say emacs if his agent is gnus.

    --
    Radek
    rahed, Dec 22, 2007
  20. On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:35:58 +0100, Joost Diepenmaat <>
    wrote:

    >> That's like saying "Please - no platform wars, but which is better,
    >> XBOX 360, PS/3, or Wii?". Can't be done. :)

    >I think the replies so far have been very polite and informative. In any

    Ok: my editor is better than yours. Yours sucks. An impolite and
    uninformative answer, eventually! :)

    Michele
    Michele Dondi, Dec 23, 2007