which font is this?

Mark Parnell

In our last episode said:
which font is used on page http://www.vandervossen.net/ ?

From the stylesheet:

body { font-family: baskerville, palatino, "Palatino Linotype", georgia,
serif; }

The first of the above available on your computer (if you don't have any
of the 4 specific fonts, whatever your default serif font is).
Thank's for your help, Eels.

I'm Mark, but you're welcome.

rf

eels said:
Hello,

which font is used on page http://www.vandervossen.net/ ?

Did you look at the source?

font-family: baskerville, palatino, "Palatino Linotype", georgia, serif;

Off hand I would say it is my default serif font, since I don't have any of
those other ones. No. I lie, it is georgia, as I *do* have that one
installed.
Thank's for your help, Eels.

No problem.

Mark Parnell

In our last episode said:
But how do you read the stylesheet?

Are you asking how to find the stylesheet? Look at the HTML, and find
<link rel="stylesheet" ... >

In this case the relevant line is the first one:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, print, projection"
title="Default" href="style/default.css" />

So the stylesheet is located at
http://www.vandervossen.net/style/default.css

Or are you asking how to understand the stylesheet once you've found it?
For that, you'll need to learn some basic CSS.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/

eels

Hello,
I didn't know that I can read the stylesheets in the browser.
Thank's for this hint!!
Have a nice day, Eels

Andy Dingley

eels said:
But how do you read the stylesheet?

As Mark said, you can follow the link. However this sometimes gets
complicated, if there are many different stylesheets being referenced.
Feeding the HTML page to a CSS validator (like the one at
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/) will usually return a "flattened"
view of the CSS that may be easier to find your way around.

Els

Andy said:
As Mark said, you can follow the link. However this sometimes gets
complicated, if there are many different stylesheets being referenced.
Feeding the HTML page to a CSS validator (like the one at
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/) will usually return a "flattened"
view of the CSS that may be easier to find your way around.

Or, you could install the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox, and click
a button that says 'view CSS', which results in a list of all styles,
both in the styleblock, and in separate stylesheets.
'edit CSS' shows those stylesheets tabbed in the left of the window,
where you can edit them (temporarily) to see changes live in the page
on the right.

eeels

With neither quill nor qualm, Mark Parnell quothed:
From the stylesheet:

body { font-family: baskerville, palatino, "Palatino Linotype", georgia,
serif; }

The first of the above available on your computer (if you don't have any
of the 4 specific fonts, whatever your default serif font is).

I'm Mark, but you're welcome.

Well, anyway, thanks for all the fish.

Mark Parnell

Or, you could install the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox,

Which is how I did it (well, I already had it installed), but I figured
that probably wouldn't help the OP as much. :)

Els

Mark said:
Which is how I did it (well, I already had it installed), but I figured
that probably wouldn't help the OP as much. :)

Which is why I didn't say it in reply to your post, but only in reply
to Andy's :p

Blinky the Shark

Els said:
Or, you could install the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox, and
click a button that says 'view CSS', which results in a list of
all styles, both in the styleblock, and in separate stylesheets.
'edit CSS' shows those stylesheets tabbed in the left of the
window, where you can edit them (temporarily) to see changes
live in the page on the right.

Which feature, in my opinion, us slicker than owl snot. :)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:
Which feature, in my opinion, us slicker than owl snot. :)

Pffft, what does a shark know about owl snot? Had you said pearl jam, I
might have swallowed the bait.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

Pffft, what does a shark know about owl snot? Had you said
pearl jam, I might have swallowed the bait.

:)

We know lots about things shoreward, passed down in our oral
tradition from olden days before we evolved fins and took to the
seas.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:
:)

We know lots about things shoreward, passed down in our oral
tradition from olden days before we evolved fins and took to the
seas.

I see. So in what language do you gargle amongst yourselves?

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

I see. So in what language do you gargle amongst yourselves?

For security reasons, I can't disclose that.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:
For security reasons, I can't disclose that.

Er, okay. Must get pretty loud subaquatically, though, 'cause sharks
have such big mouths, ya know. Aren't you afraid the sonar on the
atomic subs will overhear and the navy'll want to tin-can a few of your
brethren or sistern for scientific analysis and decryption?

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

Er, okay. Must get pretty loud subaquatically, though, 'cause
sharks have such big mouths, ya know. Aren't you afraid the
sonar on the atomic subs will overhear and the navy'll want to
tin-can a few of your brethren or sistern for scientific
analysis and decryption?

Sometimes we mimic whale sounds to throw them off.