which font is this?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by eels, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. eels

    eels Guest

    eels, Oct 11, 2005

  2. eels

    Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, eels <> pronounced to alt.html:

    > which font is used on page http://www.vandervossen.net/ ?

    From the stylesheet:

    body { font-family: baskerville, palatino, "Palatino Linotype", georgia,
    serif; }

    The first of the above available on your computer (if you don't have any
    of the 4 specific fonts, whatever your default serif font is).

    > Thank's for your help, Eels.

    I'm Mark, but you're welcome.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Oct 11, 2005

  3. eels

    rf Guest

    eels wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > which font is used on page http://www.vandervossen.net/ ?

    Did you look at the source?

    font-family: baskerville, palatino, "Palatino Linotype", georgia, serif;

    Off hand I would say it is my default serif font, since I don't have any of
    those other ones. No. I lie, it is georgia, as I *do* have that one
    installed.

    > Thank's for your help, Eels.

    No problem.
    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 11, 2005
  4. eels

    eels Guest

    Hello,
    Thank's for your help.
    But how do you read the stylesheet?
    Eels

    eels, Oct 11, 2005
  5. eels

    Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, eels <> pronounced to alt.html:

    > But how do you read the stylesheet?

    Are you asking how to find the stylesheet? Look at the HTML, and find
    <link rel="stylesheet" ... >

    In this case the relevant line is the first one:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, print, projection"
    title="Default" href="style/default.css" />

    So the stylesheet is located at
    http://www.vandervossen.net/style/default.css

    Or are you asking how to understand the stylesheet once you've found it?
    For that, you'll need to learn some basic CSS.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/

    Mark Parnell, Oct 11, 2005
  6. eels

    eels Guest

    Hello,
    I didn't know that I can read the stylesheets in the browser.
    Thank's for this hint!!
    Have a nice day, Eels

    eels, Oct 11, 2005
  7. eels

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Oct 11, 2005
  8. eels

    Andy Dingley Guest

    eels wrote:

    > But how do you read the stylesheet?

    As Mark said, you can follow the link. However this sometimes gets
    complicated, if there are many different stylesheets being referenced.
    Feeding the HTML page to a CSS validator (like the one at
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/) will usually return a "flattened"
    view of the CSS that may be easier to find your way around.

    Andy Dingley, Oct 11, 2005
  9. eels

    Els Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > eels wrote:
    >
    >> But how do you read the stylesheet?

    > As Mark said, you can follow the link. However this sometimes gets
    > complicated, if there are many different stylesheets being referenced.
    > Feeding the HTML page to a CSS validator (like the one at
    > http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/) will usually return a "flattened"
    > view of the CSS that may be easier to find your way around.

    Or, you could install the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox, and click
    a button that says 'view CSS', which results in a list of all styles,
    both in the styleblock, and in separate stylesheets.
    'edit CSS' shows those stylesheets tabbed in the left of the window,
    where you can edit them (temporarily) to see changes live in the page
    on the right.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Oct 11, 2005
  10. eels

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Oct 11, 2005
  11. eels

    eeels Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Mark Parnell quothed:

    > In our last episode, eels <> pronounced to alt.html:
    >
    > > which font is used on page http://www.vandervossen.net/ ?

    > From the stylesheet:
    >
    > body { font-family: baskerville, palatino, "Palatino Linotype", georgia,
    > serif; }
    >
    > The first of the above available on your computer (if you don't have any
    > of the 4 specific fonts, whatever your default serif font is).
    >
    > > Thank's for your help, Eels.

    > I'm Mark, but you're welcome.

    Well, anyway, thanks for all the fish.

    --
    eeels

    eeels, Oct 11, 2005
  12. eels

    Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, Els <> pronounced to
    alt.html:

    > Or, you could install the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox,

    Which is how I did it (well, I already had it installed), but I figured
    that probably wouldn't help the OP as much. :)

    Mark Parnell, Oct 12, 2005
  13. eels

    Els Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > In our last episode, Els <> pronounced to
    > alt.html:
    >
    >> Or, you could install the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox,

    > Which is how I did it (well, I already had it installed), but I figured
    > that probably wouldn't help the OP as much. :)

    Which is why I didn't say it in reply to your post, but only in reply
    to Andy's :p

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Oct 12, 2005
  14. Els wrote:

    > Or, you could install the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox, and
    > click a button that says 'view CSS', which results in a list of
    > all styles, both in the styleblock, and in separate stylesheets.
    > 'edit CSS' shows those stylesheets tabbed in the left of the
    > window, where you can edit them (temporarily) to see changes
    > live in the page on the right.

    Which feature, in my opinion, us slicker than owl snot. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 12, 2005
  15. eels

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    > > Or, you could install the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox, and
    > > click a button that says 'view CSS', which results in a list of
    > > all styles, both in the styleblock, and in separate stylesheets.
    > > 'edit CSS' shows those stylesheets tabbed in the left of the
    > > window, where you can edit them (temporarily) to see changes
    > > live in the page on the right.

    > Which feature, in my opinion, us slicker than owl snot. :)

    Pffft, what does a shark know about owl snot? Had you said pearl jam, I
    might have swallowed the bait.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Oct 12, 2005
  16. Neredbojias wrote:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:
    >
    >> Els wrote:
    >>
    >> > Or, you could install the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox,
    >> > and click a button that says 'view CSS', which results in a
    >> > list of all styles, both in the styleblock, and in separate
    >> > stylesheets. 'edit CSS' shows those stylesheets tabbed in the
    >> > left of the window, where you can edit them (temporarily) to
    >> > see changes live in the page on the right.

    >> Which feature, in my opinion, us slicker than owl snot. :)

    > Pffft, what does a shark know about owl snot? Had you said
    > pearl jam, I might have swallowed the bait.

    :)

    We know lots about things shoreward, passed down in our oral
    tradition from olden days before we evolved fins and took to the
    seas.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 12, 2005
  17. eels

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

    > >> Which feature, in my opinion, us slicker than owl snot. :)

    > > Pffft, what does a shark know about owl snot? Had you said
    > > pearl jam, I might have swallowed the bait.

    > :)
    >
    > We know lots about things shoreward, passed down in our oral
    > tradition from olden days before we evolved fins and took to the
    > seas.

    I see. So in what language do you gargle amongst yourselves?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Oct 12, 2005
  18. Neredbojias wrote:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>
    >> > With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

    >> > Pffft, what does a shark know about owl snot? Had you said
    >> > pearl jam, I might have swallowed the bait.

    >> :)
    >>
    >> We know lots about things shoreward, passed down in our oral
    >> tradition from olden days before we evolved fins and took to
    >> the seas.

    > I see. So in what language do you gargle amongst yourselves?

    For security reasons, I can't disclose that.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 13, 2005
  19. eels

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

    > >> We know lots about things shoreward, passed down in our oral
    > >> tradition from olden days before we evolved fins and took to
    > >> the seas.

    > > I see. So in what language do you gargle amongst yourselves?

    > For security reasons, I can't disclose that.

    Er, okay. Must get pretty loud subaquatically, though, 'cause sharks
    have such big mouths, ya know. Aren't you afraid the sonar on the
    atomic subs will overhear and the navy'll want to tin-can a few of your
    brethren or sistern for scientific analysis and decryption?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Oct 13, 2005
  20. Neredbojias wrote:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

    >> > I see. So in what language do you gargle amongst yourselves?

    >> For security reasons, I can't disclose that.

    > Er, okay. Must get pretty loud subaquatically, though, 'cause
    > sharks have such big mouths, ya know. Aren't you afraid the
    > sonar on the atomic subs will overhear and the navy'll want to
    > tin-can a few of your brethren or sistern for scientific
    > analysis and decryption?

    Sometimes we mimic whale sounds to throw them off.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 15, 2005