    XML Fox

    I hope I correctly left out all the $$$ware like Dreamweaver from the
    list above.

    Franklin, Dec 3, 2005

  2. Franklin

    jb Guest

    > Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
    > web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
    > thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.
    >
    > Ideally, the html editor is one of the following:
    >
    > 1st Page
    > Ace HTML 6 Pro
    > Alleycode
    > Arachnoplhila
    > EasyHtml
    > HTML Beauty 2004
    > Nvu
    > PageBreeze
    > XML Fox
    >
    > I hope I correctly left out all the $$$ware like Dreamweaver from the
    > list above.

    JAlbum (requires Java)

    jb, Dec 3, 2005

  3. Franklin

    Craig Guest

    Franklin wrote:

    > Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
    > web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
    > thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.
    >
    > Ideally, the html editor is one of the following:
    >
    > Arachnoplhila

    Arach requires JRE which, in my 2-3 month usage made it a bit clunky
    (slow loading, slow responding). I gave up on it before I got to know
    it well, so, ymmv. It does seem simple enough though.

    > Nvu

    I would love to recommend Nvu unreservedly. It's open source, free,
    WYSIWYG but, it actually modifies your code. Maybe for a neophyte
    that's not a problem but, it's a deal-killer here. What's interesting
    though is that neither of these represent an "easy" way to do an html
    photo-page.

    If what you're looking to do is create a simple webpage with thumbnails,
    etc, you might want to approach this from a different angle. Find a
    proggie that will generate an html page with thumbnails & full-sized
    images and then see about modifying that in an html editor afterwards.
    Using this angle, start out by looking at the following two packages.

    Picasa2 (http://picasa.google.com/index.html) and
    Jalbum (http://jalbum.net/)

    Both do a fine job, Jalbum probably has the edge in simplicity of use
    and definitely has the edge in pretty cool ready-made styles available.

    After that, I'd recommend firing up an HTML editor such as PSPad (it has
    a nice preview function). Then you can mark up to your heart's content.

    Let us know how it turned out!

    Craig

    Craig, Dec 3, 2005
  4. Craig wrote:
    <snip>
    >> Nvu

    > I would love to recommend Nvu unreservedly. It's open source, free,
    > WYSIWYG but, it actually modifies your code. Maybe for a neophyte
    > that's not a problem but, it's a deal-killer here. What's interesting
    > though is that neither of these represent an "easy" way to do an html
    > photo-page.

    Personally I use a notepad replacement, but with regards to Nvu in it's
    option menu you can set the editor to either reformat the code or retain
    original formatting...doen't have to be a 'deal-killer'

    <snip>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 3, 2005
  5. Franklin

    J-Walker Guest

    J-Walker, Dec 3, 2005
  6. Franklin

    Craig Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Craig wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >>> Nvu

    >> I would love to recommend Nvu unreservedly. It's open source, free,
    >> WYSIWYG but, it actually modifies your code. Maybe for a neophyte
    >> that's not a problem but, it's a deal-killer here. What's interesting
    >> though is that neither of these represent an "easy" way to do an html
    >> photo-page.

    >...but with regards to Nvu in it's
    > option menu you can set the editor to either reformat the code or retain
    > original formatting...doen't have to be a 'deal-killer'
    >
    > <snip>

    Incorrect Jonathan;

    There is an option menu that indicates such a function. but it does not
    work. It has not worked since ....oh, 0.5 or 0.4. It is a well-known
    issue for those who use Nvu. In fact, this issue has been reported so
    many times by Nvu users that forum moderators will now delete any
    further postings related to it.

    please see: http://forum.nvudev.org/viewtopic.php?t=1819

    regards,
    Craig

    Craig, Dec 3, 2005
  7. Franklin

    carolyn Guest

    Franklin wrote:

    > Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
    > web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
    > thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.
    >
    > Ideally, the html editor is one of the following:
    >
    > 1st Page
    > Ace HTML 6 Pro
    > Alleycode
    > Arachnoplhila
    > EasyHtml
    > HTML Beauty 2004
    > Nvu
    > PageBreeze
    > XML Fox

    I can't comment on any of those, but bluefish, amaya, Quanta Plus, and
    screem are all very good. They are all open source, so yes they are free.
    I believe amaya is available for windows as well as linux. I am not sure
    if the others are linux only or not.

    Carolyn

    carolyn, Dec 3, 2005
  8. Franklin

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Craig wrote:
    > <snip>
    > >> Nvu

    > > I would love to recommend Nvu unreservedly. It's open source, free,
    > > WYSIWYG but, it actually modifies your code. Maybe for a neophyte
    > > that's not a problem but, it's a deal-killer here. What's interesting
    > > though is that neither of these represent an "easy" way to do an html
    > > photo-page.

    > Personally I use a notepad replacement, but with regards to Nvu in it's
    > option menu you can set the editor to either reformat the code or retain
    > original formatting...doen't have to be a 'deal-killer'

    I personally like NVU as it's simple to use and you can use CSS wit it
    if need be.
    But I like for the fact that it produces Valid code strate out of the
    box so to speak.
    The code is very ugly to look at though and it can be harder to read
    with the huge spacers in it, but it does make it easy to edit in some
    ways.
    But I don't know weather it would be appropreate for what you want to
    use it for. I would maybe suggest useing some sort of photo gallary
    script.
    PS.
    Yes their is the function in nvu to retain original source formatting.
    But it doesn't always work.

    Chaddy2222, Dec 3, 2005
  9. "Franklin"wrote
    > I hope I correctly left out all the $$$ware like Dreamweaver from the
    > list above.

    There is a good German Editor, called Phase5. I am not sure, if that is in
    English language, too.

    http://www.qhaut.de/forums/index.php?dlcategory=1

    There is a very new version, released at Nov. 28. I prefer writing my own
    hand-written codes, but I worked with an older version, but I cannot
    remember, if it was in English.

    Just have a try, it's free, and always can be deleted.

    Tassilo

    Tassilo S. Schweiger, Dec 3, 2005
  10. Franklin

    Frank Olieu Guest

    _Chaddy2222_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (03-12-2005 08:18):

    > The code is very ugly to look at though and it can be harder to read
    > with the huge spacers in it <snip>

    Sure... but then, you could use Tidy to reformat the code.
    Or even better, use the Firefox extension "HTML validator"
    (http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/).
    It has a Tidy implementation which can cleanup/reformat the code with 2 clicks!

    --
    Venlig hilsen | Kind regards | Cordialement
    Frank

    Frank Olieu, Dec 3, 2005
  11. Franklin

    Jim Higson Guest

    Franklin wrote:

    > Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
    > web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
    > thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.

    [snip list]

    Really, if all you want is to create a gallery, I'd recommend just using an
    already existing PHP[1] gallery script and let that worry about the HTML.
    Especially so if you are a beginner. This is very easy, in most cases it'd
    be just the task of uploading it to your server.

    There are many, many such tools, pretty much all of which will create HTML
    better than a web newbie.

    [1] Or Perl, Python, etc... doesn't really matter which scripting language
    if you're not interested in changing or even looking at the code.

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Dec 3, 2005
  12. Craig wrote:
    <snip>
    > Incorrect Jonathan;
    >
    > There is an option menu that indicates such a function. but it does not
    > work. It has not worked since ....oh, 0.5 or 0.4. It is a well-known
    > issue for those who use Nvu. In fact, this issue has been reported so
    > many times by Nvu users that forum moderators will now delete any
    > further postings related to it.
    >
    > please see: http://forum.nvudev.org/viewtopic.php?t=1819

    You are correct, again I really don't use a WYSIWYG editor I use Metapad
    and Crimson Editor. Just tested it and it does reformat, funny it works
    in Mozilla Composer the code base the Nvu originates from, hmmm

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 3, 2005
  13. "Franklin" <> wrote in message
    > Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
    > web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
    > thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.

    Try CSE HTML Validator Lite. It will be a great help in keeping your HTML in
    good order with its syntax checking. Also, you don't have to worry about
    adware or spyware.

    http://www.htmlvalidator.com/lite/

    Albert

    Albert Wiersch, Dec 3, 2005
  14. Franklin

    Querulantus Guest

    "Albert Wiersch" <>
    wrote:

    > Try CSE HTML Validator Lite. It will be a great help in keeping your HTML in
    > good order with its syntax checking.

    I think it's an excellent HTML, and to a lesser extent CSS, editor,
    but the syntax checking in the free version is very limited. No
    problem though, there is on line validation:

    HTML:
    http://validator.w3.org/
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/

    CSS:
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/

    A little background reading:
    http://www.thesitewizard.com/webdesign/htmlvalidation.shtml

    Q.

    Querulantus, Dec 3, 2005
  15. Franklin

    Frank Olieu Guest

    _Jonathan N. Little_ wrote:

    >> <snip-a-lot>
    >> Personally I use a notepad replacement,

    > I use (Metapad and) Crimson Editor.

    I think you're understating here...
    Crimson Editor is not a notepad /replacement/!
    It's a notepad ass kicker :eek:)

    --
    Kind regards
    Frank

    Frank Olieu, Dec 3, 2005
  16. Frank Olieu wrote:
    > _Jonathan N. Little_ wrote:
    >

    >>><snip-a-lot>
    >>>Personally I use a notepad replacement,

    >>I use (Metapad and) Crimson Editor.

    > I think you're understating here...
    > Crimson Editor is not a notepad /replacement/!
    > It's a notepad ass kicker :eek:)

    Totally agree there! Metapad is just lighter weight for Quick and Dirty
    jobs. Crimson Editor is the way to go, like the syntax highlighting
    especially when switching from one language to another
    JavaScript/Perl/Php where the functions are 'close enough but not quite'
    that screws me up!!!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 3, 2005
  17. Franklin

    Stan McCann Guest

    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in

    > Craig wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>> Nvu

    >> I would love to recommend Nvu unreservedly. It's open source,
    >> free, WYSIWYG but, it actually modifies your code. Maybe for a
    >> neophyte that's not a problem but, it's a deal-killer here. What's
    >> interesting though is that neither of these represent an "easy" way
    >> to do an html photo-page.

    > Personally I use a notepad replacement, but with regards to Nvu in
    > it's option menu you can set the editor to either reformat the code
    > or retain original formatting...doen't have to be a 'deal-killer'

    When I tested it, it changed code even with the setting set. Yes, it
    was a deal killer. That, and the fact that it does not use, and they
    have no plans to implement SSH. I have all of my servers using that
    only, no FTP.

    I work with Ultra-Edit[1], when I hit the save button in a file I'm
    working on direct from the server, it's saved direct to the server,
    using SSH.

    [1] Much like Crimson Editor, but not free. Crimson doesn't do SSH
    either.
    http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

    Stan McCann, Dec 4, 2005
  18. Franklin

    Azzman Guest

    Stan McCann <> wrote in news:Xns97225CD1E9EA3stanmccann@
    216.234.192.142:

    Linspect ( http://www.linspect.com/product/ledit ) does.

    --
    Azzman

    Azzman, Dec 4, 2005
  19. Stan McCann wrote:

    > When I tested it, it changed code even with the setting set. Yes, it
    > was a deal killer. That, and the fact that it does not use, and they
    > have no plans to implement SSH. I have all of my servers using that
    > only, no FTP.

    Agreed, just tested and found that the option did not work, but then
    again I do not use a WYSIWYG editor. Works in Moz's Composer, but
    somehow the Nvu folks broke it when they added enhanced features

    > I work with Ultra-Edit[1], when I hit the save button in a file I'm
    > working on direct from the server, it's saved direct to the server,
    > using SSH.
    >
    > [1] Much like Crimson Editor, but not free.

    I have v3.7 the latest and it's freeware. Now the author does accept
    donations, and this is one freeware product that deserves a donation,
    Roshal's WinRar is another.

    Crimson doesn't do SSH
    > either.

    Nope it doesn't but then I do not edit directly to 'published'
    documents. I work on a private development servers on my LAN then when
    I have tested and assured that everything is correct then I mirror to
    the public server with WS_FTP Pro. Helps 'minimize' boo-boos on line.
    WS_FTP Pro does support SSH.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan