Which free html editor?

Franklin

Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.

Ideally, the html editor is one of the following:

1st Page
Ace HTML 6 Pro
Alleycode
Arachnoplhila
EasyHtml
HTML Beauty 2004
Nvu
PageBreeze
XML Fox

I hope I correctly left out all the $$$ware like Dreamweaver from the
list above.

jb

Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.

Ideally, the html editor is one of the following:

1st Page
Ace HTML 6 Pro
Alleycode
Arachnoplhila
EasyHtml
HTML Beauty 2004
Nvu
PageBreeze
XML Fox

I hope I correctly left out all the $$$ware like Dreamweaver from the
list above.

JAlbum (requires Java)

Craig

Franklin said:
Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.

Ideally, the html editor is one of the following:

Arachnoplhila

Arach requires JRE which, in my 2-3 month usage made it a bit clunky
(slow loading, slow responding). I gave up on it before I got to know
it well, so, ymmv. It does seem simple enough though.

I would love to recommend Nvu unreservedly. It's open source, free,
WYSIWYG but, it actually modifies your code. Maybe for a neophyte
that's not a problem but, it's a deal-killer here. What's interesting
though is that neither of these represent an "easy" way to do an html
photo-page.

If what you're looking to do is create a simple webpage with thumbnails,
etc, you might want to approach this from a different angle. Find a
proggie that will generate an html page with thumbnails & full-sized
images and then see about modifying that in an html editor afterwards.
Using this angle, start out by looking at the following two packages.

Picasa2 (http://picasa.google.com/index.html) and
Jalbum (http://jalbum.net/)

Both do a fine job, Jalbum probably has the edge in simplicity of use
and definitely has the edge in pretty cool ready-made styles available.

After that, I'd recommend firing up an HTML editor such as PSPad (it has
a nice preview function). Then you can mark up to your heart's content.

Let us know how it turned out!

Craig

Jonathan N. Little

Craig wrote:
I would love to recommend Nvu unreservedly. It's open source, free,
WYSIWYG but, it actually modifies your code. Maybe for a neophyte
that's not a problem but, it's a deal-killer here. What's interesting
though is that neither of these represent an "easy" way to do an html
photo-page.

Personally I use a notepad replacement, but with regards to Nvu in it's
option menu you can set the editor to either reformat the code or retain
original formatting...doen't have to be a 'deal-killer'

<snip>

Craig

Jonathan said:
Craig wrote:

...but with regards to Nvu in it's
option menu you can set the editor to either reformat the code or retain
original formatting...doen't have to be a 'deal-killer'

<snip>

Incorrect Jonathan;

There is an option menu that indicates such a function. but it does not
work. It has not worked since ....oh, 0.5 or 0.4. It is a well-known
issue for those who use Nvu. In fact, this issue has been reported so
many times by Nvu users that forum moderators will now delete any
further postings related to it.

please see: http://forum.nvudev.org/viewtopic.php?t=1819

regards,
Craig

carolyn

Franklin said:
Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.

Ideally, the html editor is one of the following:

1st Page
Ace HTML 6 Pro
Alleycode
Arachnoplhila
EasyHtml
HTML Beauty 2004
Nvu
PageBreeze
XML Fox

I can't comment on any of those, but bluefish, amaya, Quanta Plus, and
screem are all very good. They are all open source, so yes they are free.
I believe amaya is available for windows as well as linux. I am not sure
if the others are linux only or not.

Carolyn

Chaddy2222

Jonathan said:
Craig wrote:

Personally I use a notepad replacement, but with regards to Nvu in it's
option menu you can set the editor to either reformat the code or retain
original formatting...doen't have to be a 'deal-killer'
I personally like NVU as it's simple to use and you can use CSS wit it
if need be.
But I like for the fact that it produces Valid code strate out of the
box so to speak.
The code is very ugly to look at though and it can be harder to read
with the huge spacers in it, but it does make it easy to edit in some
ways.
But I don't know weather it would be appropreate for what you want to
use it for. I would maybe suggest useing some sort of photo gallary
script.

Tassilo S. Schweiger

"Franklin"wrote
I hope I correctly left out all the $$$ware like Dreamweaver from the
list above.

There is a good German Editor, called Phase5. I am not sure, if that is in
English language, too.

http://www.qhaut.de/forums/index.php?dlcategory=1

There is a very new version, released at Nov. 28. I prefer writing my own
hand-written codes, but I worked with an older version, but I cannot
remember, if it was in English.

Just have a try, it's free, and always can be deleted.

Tassilo

Frank Olieu

_Chaddy2222_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (03-12-2005 08:18):
The code is very ugly to look at though and it can be harder to read
with the huge spacers in it <snip>

Sure... but then, you could use Tidy to reformat the code.
Or even better, use the Firefox extension "HTML validator"
(http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/).
It has a Tidy implementation which can cleanup/reformat the code with 2 clicks!

Jim Higson

Franklin said:
Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.

[snip list]

Really, if all you want is to create a gallery, I'd recommend just using an
already existing PHP[1] gallery script and let that worry about the HTML.
Especially so if you are a beginner. This is very easy, in most cases it'd
be just the task of uploading it to your server.

There are many, many such tools, pretty much all of which will create HTML
better than a web newbie.

[1] Or Perl, Python, etc... doesn't really matter which scripting language
if you're not interested in changing or even looking at the code.

Jonathan N. Little

Craig wrote:
Incorrect Jonathan;

There is an option menu that indicates such a function. but it does not
work. It has not worked since ....oh, 0.5 or 0.4. It is a well-known
issue for those who use Nvu. In fact, this issue has been reported so
many times by Nvu users that forum moderators will now delete any
further postings related to it.

please see: http://forum.nvudev.org/viewtopic.php?t=1819

You are correct, again I really don't use a WYSIWYG editor I use Metapad
and Crimson Editor. Just tested it and it does reformat, funny it works
in Mozilla Composer the code base the Nvu originates from, hmmm

Albert Wiersch

Franklin said:
Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.

Try CSE HTML Validator Lite. It will be a great help in keeping your HTML in
good order with its syntax checking. Also, you don't have to worry about
adware or spyware.

http://www.htmlvalidator.com/lite/

Albert

Querulantus

Try CSE HTML Validator Lite. It will be a great help in keeping your HTML in
good order with its syntax checking.

I think it's an excellent HTML, and to a lesser extent CSS, editor,
but the syntax checking in the free version is very limited. No
problem though, there is on line validation:

HTML:
http://validator.w3.org/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/

CSS:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/

A little background reading:
http://www.thesitewizard.com/webdesign/htmlvalidation.shtml

Q.

Frank Olieu

_Jonathan N. Little_ said:
I use (Metapad and) Crimson Editor.

I think you're understating here...
Crimson Editor is not a notepad /replacement/!
It's a notepad ass kicker :eek:)

Jonathan N. Little

Frank said:
_Jonathan N. Little_ wrote:

I think you're understating here...
Crimson Editor is not a notepad /replacement/!
It's a notepad ass kicker :eek:)

Totally agree there! Metapad is just lighter weight for Quick and Dirty
jobs. Crimson Editor is the way to go, like the syntax highlighting
especially when switching from one language to another
JavaScript/Perl/Php where the functions are 'close enough but not quite'
that screws me up!!!

Stan McCann

Craig wrote:

Personally I use a notepad replacement, but with regards to Nvu in
it's option menu you can set the editor to either reformat the code
or retain original formatting...doen't have to be a 'deal-killer'

When I tested it, it changed code even with the setting set. Yes, it
was a deal killer. That, and the fact that it does not use, and they
have no plans to implement SSH. I have all of my servers using that
only, no FTP.

I work with Ultra-Edit[1], when I hit the save button in a file I'm
working on direct from the server, it's saved direct to the server,
using SSH.

[1] Much like Crimson Editor, but not free. Crimson doesn't do SSH
either.

Jonathan N. Little

Stan said:
When I tested it, it changed code even with the setting set. Yes, it
was a deal killer. That, and the fact that it does not use, and they
have no plans to implement SSH. I have all of my servers using that
only, no FTP.

Agreed, just tested and found that the option did not work, but then
again I do not use a WYSIWYG editor. Works in Moz's Composer, but
somehow the Nvu folks broke it when they added enhanced features
I work with Ultra-Edit[1], when I hit the save button in a file I'm
working on direct from the server, it's saved direct to the server,
using SSH.

[1] Much like Crimson Editor, but not free.

I have v3.7 the latest and it's freeware. Now the author does accept
donations, and this is one freeware product that deserves a donation,
Roshal's WinRar is another.

Crimson doesn't do SSH

Nope it doesn't but then I do not edit directly to 'published'
documents. I work on a private development servers on my LAN then when
I have tested and assured that everything is correct then I mirror to
the public server with WS_FTP Pro. Helps 'minimize' boo-boos on line.
WS_FTP Pro does support SSH.

Thomas Jespersen

Franklin said:
Which html editor should a novice use for creating an uncomplicated
web page made up of approx 20 thumbnail pictures. Each of the
thumbnails can be clicked to show a bigger picture.

You should also take a look at Stones Webwriter:

http://www.webwriter.dk/english/

It is free for private users.