  1. Which GUI (preferably Swing) library do you suggest to me to use for making
    database application?

    I want to simply making forms (input to the database).

    Mladen Adamovic, Feb 14, 2004

  2. Mladen Adamovic

    Chris Smith Guest

    Mladen Adamovic wrote:
    > Which GUI (preferably Swing) library do you suggest to me to use for making
    > database application?
    >
    > I want to simply making forms (input to the database).

    Err, perhaps I don't exactly understand the question. If you want to
    use Swing as you indicate above, then by all means use it! If you want
    to use a different GUI library (or haven't yet decided whether to use
    Swing or a different library), then you need to say more about your
    requirements. In particular, what kinds of interactions do you expect
    to use; how important is actual performance? How important is perceived
    performance? How much time do you have to develop this? What prior
    experience do you (or other members of your team) have in particular
    technologies?

    Incidentally, choosing a GUI library has little to do with whether your
    application will be getting its information from a database or somewhere
    else.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Feb 14, 2004

  3. Mladen Adamovic wrote:

    > Which GUI (preferably Swing) library do you suggest to me to use for making
    > database application?
    >
    > I want to simply making forms (input to the database).

    If you are looking for a way to easily bind a database
    to Swing views, check out the JDNC and JClient/BC4J;
    learn about form-oriented layout managers, take care of
    the editor's micro design and care about validation.

    Find below some references. Hope this helps,
    Karsten Lentzsch

    *JDNC - Sun's Java Desktop Network Components*
    Learn about issues you likely have to address
    and stay tuned with this interesting project:
    http://www.javadesktop.org/articles/JDNC/index.html

    *JClient - Oracle's client architecture*
    The articles and presentations around JClient
    provide useful information about client architectures:
    http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/JClient/forms_Client.html

    *JGoodies Forms*
    This is my free advanced form-oriented layout framework.
    It makes simple things easy and the hard stuff possible,
    the good design easy and the bad difficult:
    http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/forms/index.html

    *JGoodies Looks*
    My free Windows look&feel and Plastic look&feel family.
    These l&fs have been optimized for readability, precise
    micro design and usability - many find them elegant:
    http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/looks/index.html

    *JGoodies Validation (commercial)*
    My tiny validation library and a set of validation
    result views that reduce the effort required for
    integrating validation into a Swing application:
    http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/validationdemo/index.html

    *JForm*
    Will Boluyt's binding and validation library:
    https://jform.dev.java.net/

    Karsten Lentzsch, Feb 14, 2004
  4. "Chris Smith" <> wrote:
    > If you want to use Swing as you indicate above, then by all means use it!

    Swing library is NOT good for database related products, becose it has
    a lack of components. I'm searching for some GOOD Swing/DB components to
    use for database application - forms.

    > In particular, what kinds of interactions do you expect
    > to use; how important is actual performance?

    The most important think is
    How important is perceived
    > performance?
    > How much time do you have to develop this?

    I need library that allows me really fast develop of database app (using
    Java and i.e. Jasperreport).
    So I must be able to develop one simple form for a 2-3 hours (as I'm able to
    do it with Oracle developer).

    > What prior experience do you (or other members of your team) have in

    particular
    > technologies?

    Java, C, Oracle developer (forms & reports & PL/SQL).

    > Incidentally, choosing a GUI library has little to do with whether your
    > application will be getting its information from a database or somewhere
    > else.

    You have right, my first question was ambiguous.

    Mladen Adamovic, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Karsten, first thanks for your reply.
    "Karsten Lentzsch" <> wrote:
    > *JDNC - Sun's Java Desktop Network Components*

    I seen nowhere Download it.

    > *JClient - Oracle's client architecture*

    I had been looking to avoid use of Oracle products, becouse of its price and
    hardware dependents.
    I want to make cheap Java database products.

    > *JGoodies Forms*

    This one seems OK, I would check it, but I prefer sourceforge hosted
    projects, for some my reasons/opinions.

    > *JForm*
    > Will Boluyt's binding and validation library:
    > https://jform.dev.java.net/

    I wasn't able to browse its directory due to user roles/restrictions.

    Mladen Adamovic, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Mladen Adamovic wrote:

    > Swing library is NOT good for database related products, becose it has
    > a lack of components. I'm searching for some GOOD Swing/DB components to
    > use for database application - forms.

    I don't quite agree. Swing doesn't lack components,
    it just doesn't ship with database-bound models.

    For example, the Swing JTable can render many db tables;
    but it requires a custom table model that binds the
    persistent data to the UI. Add generic DB browsing
    behavior and you're done. That's where the libraries
    mentioned before come in.

    Karsten

    Karsten Lentzsch, Feb 15, 2004
  7. Mladen Adamovic wrote:

    The JDNC and JClient information can help you learn
    about problems you likely need to address too.
    There's no need to download or use the software.

    The same applies to the JGoodies Forms. Even if
    you don't want to use it or if you can't use it,
    I'd say that reading the whitepaper will help you.
    Find more information about the Forms and related
    issues at http://www.jgoodies.com/articles/

    > This one seems OK, I would check it, but I prefer sourceforge hosted
    > projects, for some my reasons/opinions.

    I prefer a Java-specific ad-free server.

    Anyway, you can also download the project from
    http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/forms/

    Best Regards,
    Karsten

    Karsten Lentzsch, Feb 15, 2004
  8. "Karsten Lentzsch" <> wrote:
    > For example, the Swing JTable can render many db tables;
    > but it requires a custom table model that binds the
    > persistent data to the UI.

    JTable requires also a TableCellRenderer, TableCellEditor and often some
    custom ActionPerformers for
    validation, triggering, binding with other Swing elements etc.

    > Add generic DB browsing
    > behavior and you're done.

    Is this meant to be "previous", "next" , "last record" and "commit" buttons
    ?

    This is not all what I need.

    I need also some "list of values (LOV)" like in Oracle developer (LOV)
    component.
    I'll explain this. Let's imagine we have database table ARTICLES with
    columns id and name.
    I want to have possibility to easy make components where application user
    may search articles for names
    and that components (we can name it LOV) may return value of article id.

    I need that I could use that component for different purposes - not just for
    articles, I want to use it
    for employers, contracts, renters etc. - all usual DB purposes.

    > That's where the libraries
    > mentioned before come in.

    Now I'm explain why I don't think so.

    Mladen Adamovic, Feb 15, 2004
  9. Mladen Adamovic

    Chris Smith Guest

    Mladen Adamovic wrote:
    > Swing library is NOT good for database related products, becose it has
    > a lack of components. I'm searching for some GOOD Swing/DB components to
    > use for database application - forms.

    Mladen,

    I'm trying to understand what you want here. Do you really mean that
    Swing lacks components? That seems strange; it's one of the more
    component-rish user interface libraries that I'm aware of. Or do you
    want non-GUI functionality like database access provided for you?

    One thing you should realize is that Java itself is not a "database
    forms" kind of thing; it provides you with a flexible and logical way to
    put different pieces together. Because of this, Java is *not* going to
    give you a GUI component that can only display data from a database.
    You've got a lot of GUI components available, though, and they all (with
    the possible exception of the text components) provide a general and
    abstract model interface that you can implement to display data from
    your database.

    In general, it's best to do this with knowledge of your own application,
    so few people write generic models for data from databases. That's
    because most sizable database applications will access the database via
    some kind of generic interface that hides the details of where the data
    comes from. Options there include O/R mappers, remote calls to
    middleware, or just a plain set domain-specific data wrappers.

    That's if you want to write an application in Java. On the other hand,
    if you're looking for a canned product for generating and running
    database forms, I'm not familiar with that product space. I don't know
    if there are any major products of that variety that use Java in some
    way (as I assume you're asking for, given your choice of newsgroups).
    Hopefully, someone else will pop in and fill that void.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Feb 15, 2004
  10. Mladen Adamovic

    Robert Guest

    Karsten Lentzsch wrote:
    <snip>

    > I prefer a Java-specific ad-free server.

    Is there one? :)

    Robert, Feb 15, 2004
  11. Robert wrote:

    > Karsten Lentzsch wrote:
    >> I prefer a Java-specific ad-free server.
    >>

    > Is there one? :)

    Yes, java.net.

    Karsten

    Karsten Lentzsch, Feb 15, 2004
  12. "Chris Smith" <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to understand what you want here.

    I'll try to exaplain my way of thinking about this issue,
    and some recently messages in comp.lang.java.* and
    some other newsgroups.

    I want to use Java to FAST develop database application.
    So that means that maybe I have to find some forms&report tools
    for Java. I wanted to try to find FREE (or cheap) ones.

    After some searching I deciede I could try to use JasperReport as
    a report tool. I find good its concept of XML translating.

    Then I tried to find free forms tool and some Eclipse plug-ins,
    Netbeans, www.gestalt.com were potential to use.

    But I like idea of XML processing tool.
    I wonder if there any such XML translator for database tables
    but none find yet. (I'm thinking of going to do some work: "XML database
    translators as a Java form tool" at my Master studies).

    I wonder if there is some Java library to easy making forms (for DB apps)
    and asked for recommendation.

    But all question about this thema were for some reason ambigous or unclear
    to other
    people, no mather how hard I try to explain. As English is not my native
    language - it was just one
    reason for harder communication.

    > Do you really mean that
    > Swing lacks components? That seems strange; it's one of the more
    > component-rish user interface libraries that I'm aware of.

    I explained which component for example I'm looking for
    and I'll say it again if you want to:

    <cite>
    I need also some "list of values (LOV)" like in Oracle developer (LOV)
    component.
    I'll explain this. Let's imagine we have database table ARTICLES with
    columns id and name.
    I want to have possibility to easy make components where application user
    may search articles for names
    and that components (we can name it LOV) may return value of article id.

    I need that I could use that component for different purposes - not just for
    articles, I want to use it
    for employers, contracts, renters etc. - all usual DB purposes.
    </cite>

    > Or do you
    > want non-GUI functionality like database access provided for you?

    I don't complain about non-GUI functionality.

    > One thing you should realize is that Java itself is not a "database
    > forms" kind of thing; it provides you with a flexible and logical way to
    > put different pieces together. Because of this, Java is *not* going to
    > give you a GUI component that can only display data from a database.

    Two major database companies : Oracle and IBM use Java "like"
    languages in their application frameworks. So if you said to me :
    "Java is *not* going to give you a GUI component that can only display data
    from a database. "
    I couldn't REALLY understand you.

    > You've got a lot of GUI components available, though, and they all (with
    > the possible exception of the text components) provide a general and
    > abstract model interface that you can implement to display data from
    > your database.

    OK. It seems I have to try to make components I want to.

    > In general, it's best to do this with knowledge of your own application,
    > so few people write generic models for data from databases. That's
    > because most sizable database applications will access the database via
    > some kind of generic interface that hides the details of where the data
    > comes from. Options there include O/R mappers, remote calls to
    > middleware, or just a plain set domain-specific data wrappers.

    1. I don't know about that kind of generic interfaces but I worked at
    database products with 300+ tables.
    2. I have no expirience and don't know need for "remote calls to middleware"
    and "just a plain set domain-specific data wrappers". If somebody have time
    and will to explain me that, he are welcome :).

    Mladen Adamovic, Feb 15, 2004
  13. Mladen Adamovic sez:

    > I want to use Java to FAST develop database application.
    > So that means that maybe I have to find some forms&report tools
    > for Java. I wanted to try to find FREE (or cheap) ones.

    There is a free edition of JBuilder. DB-aware GUI components have
    been Borland's claim to fame since Delphi 1, they are included in
    every edition of JBuilder.

    Dima
    --
    The speed at which a mistyped command executes is directly proportional
    to the amount of damage done. -- Joe Zeff

    Dimitri Maziuk, Feb 15, 2004
  14. Have a look at STEP FORWARD. It can create database tables and forms from
    GUI front-end, as well as reports, processes and many more. You can also
    incorporate your own Java code in it.

    For more info, and for download go to www.gestalt.com

    HTH

    Alex Molochnikov
    Gestalt Corporation

    Alex Molochnikov, Feb 16, 2004
  15. Mladen Adamovic

    Tony Morris Guest

    > You've got a lot of GUI components available, though, and they all (with
    > the possible exception of the text components) provide a general and
    > abstract model interface that you can implement to display data from
    > your database.

    The text components (subclasses of javax.swing.JTextComponent) provide a
    means to model data.
    @see javax.swing.text.Document

    --
    Tony Morris
    (BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)

    Tony Morris, Feb 16, 2004
  16. Mladen Adamovic

    Chris Smith Guest

    Tony Morris wrote:
    > > You've got a lot of GUI components available, though, and they all (with
    > > the possible exception of the text components) provide a general and
    > > abstract model interface that you can implement to display data from
    > > your database.

    > The text components (subclasses of javax.swing.JTextComponent) provide a
    > means to model data.
    > @see javax.swing.text.Document

    Yes, of course. I simply meant that JTextComponent's model is less than
    general and probably not well suited to the kind of data you'd often
    retrieve from a database.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Feb 16, 2004
  17. Mladen Adamovic

    just me Guest

    http://www.hulmen.ch/admin

    Does this really simply for you. Yo can use dynamic-form class to do it
    on the fly or let Admin generate the code for you.

    just me, Feb 16, 2004
  18. "just me" <> wrote:
    > http://www.hulmen.ch/admin
    >
    > Does this really simply for you. Yo can use dynamic-form class to do it
    > on the fly or let Admin generate the code for you.

    I try to set up it using both MySQL and Hypersonic SQL but failed.
    If I connect to HSQLDB with

    <cite>
    public String hSQLdbDriverName="org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver";
    public String hSQLdbURL="jdbc:hsqldb:/photo/photo";
    public String hSQLdbUser="sa";
    public String hSQLdbPass="";
    Class.forName (hSQLdbDriverName);
    con = DriverManager.getConnection (hSQLdbURL, hSQLdbUser, hSQLdbPass);
    </cite>

    So, I have 4 parameters in Java to connect. But Admin have 8 parameters:
    1. host
    2. user
    3. password
    4. JDBC-Driver