Which GUI library to use?

MohsinHijazee

Hi!
Which GUI library you would recommend to use?

Ruby-GTK or FXRuby?

With respect to:
* Which one is widely use in ruby community?
* Which one is easier?
* Which one is considered more 'rubiysh' by ruby enthusiats. I mean
which one is considered more internal to Ruby?

Regards,
Mohsin

Marc Heiler

Which GUI library you would recommend to use?
Ruby-GTK or FXRuby?

You gave only two choices :)
With respect to:
* Which one is widely use in ruby community?

Difficult to tell. I think ruby-gtk has a slight advantage in this
regard over FXRuby.
* Which one is easier?

Cant really say. My personal feeling is that FXRuby is easier because
Gtk/gnome really is somewhat large. But then again, both are rather easy
once you understood how signals work.
* Which one is considered more 'rubiysh' by ruby enthusiats. I mean
which one is considered more internal to Ruby?

That is somewhat impossible to answer. :/

In general I think it is better to just work and not bother which one is
more "rubyish". Both are actively maintained, it does not so much matter
which one you use IMHO.

Ing. Daniel Manrique

MohsinHijazee said:
Hi!
Which GUI library you would recommend to use?

Ruby-GTK or FXRuby?

With respect to:
* Which one is widely use in ruby community?
* Which one is easier?
* Which one is considered more 'rubiysh' by ruby enthusiats. I mean
which one is considered more internal to Ruby?

Regards,
Mohsin

Hi,

I've had very good results with WxRuby http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/; It
didn't take long to learn, is NOT very rubyish (basically the C++ APIs
are reimplemented in Ruby), but was very useful for cross-platform
development. So you might want to consider that as a third option.

Alec Ross

Ing. Daniel Manrique said:
Hi,

I've had very good results with WxRuby http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/; It
didn't take long to learn, is NOT very rubyish (basically the C++ APIs
are reimplemented in Ruby), but was very useful for cross-platform
development. So you might want to consider that as a third option.

That page also mentions wxSugar; a "sweeter, more Ruby-ish API".

HTH

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

MohsinHijazee said:
Hi!
Which GUI library you would recommend to use?

Ruby-GTK or FXRuby?

With respect to:
* Which one is widely use in ruby community?

I've never seen any statistics on this. I suspect that there aren't all
that many Ruby GUI applications.
* Which one is easier?

I think Shoes is probably the easiest to use.
* Which one is considered more 'rubiysh' by ruby enthusiats. I mean
which one is considered more internal to Ruby?

They are pretty much all derived from C/C++ toolkits except Ruby/Tk,
which is derived from Perl/Tk, which in turn is derived from Tcl/Tk. I
think Shoes is probably the most "Rubyish" of the bunch. Certainly
wxRuby, QtRuby, FXruby and Ruby-GTK are all layered on top of C/C++
libraries.

Joel VanderWerf

Vladimir said:
Both are OK, but it depends on what application you want to write (e.g.
FXRuby has table widget, GTK does not, GTK can do html
widget, not sure about FXRuby)...

and Tk has a nice Canvas...

(GTK really doesn't have a Table?)

Uwe Kubosch

Hi!
Which GUI library you would recommend to use?

Ruby-GTK or FXRuby?

With respect to:
* Which one is widely use in ruby community?
* Which one is easier?
* Which one is considered more 'rubiysh' by ruby enthusiats. I mean
which one is considered more internal to Ruby?

Since we're already mentioning other alternatives:

I've had some experience with JRuby + SWT and I must say it is the most
friendly and productive GUI toolkit I've used.

I'm comparing it to Ruby-GTK, JRuby + Swing, JRuby + AWT, JRuby +
Glimmer, Java + AWT, Java + Swing, and Java + SWT :)

I'm currently working with JRuby + SWT + JFace and it looks even better.
We have started a project using Eclipse RCP with most of the business
logic written in JRuby. Looks great so far (5 weeks into the project).

Uwe Kubosch
Norway