    to use for normal program? Thanks a lot!

    Best wishes!

    Phony

    phony, Jan 27, 2004

  2. phony

    Phlip Guest

    phony wrote:

    > I am programming under Linux using c++. I need to visualize some
    > curves and 2-D graphs in my program. Is there any package to do this?

    Look up gnuplot. You should write a data file and a command file, then call
    popen() or system() so gnuplot can eat them. It can create an X window
    containing the output, and it can produce file outputs such as postscript -
    possibly others. Then you can read the output files and host them in your
    own windows.

    If you need more interaction, look up BLT. But that can couple with Tk.

    > And I also need to add a user interfaces to my program. Could you also
    > suggest a tool for GUI? GTK+ and QT are popular. Which one is better
    > to use for normal program? Thanks a lot!

    Tk is the most popular, and its Canvas and Text controls have an excellent
    full-featured architecture. But the best hosts for Tk are Ruby or Perl or
    Python. pTk binds with C, but I don't know how clean it is.

    This leads to the question: Why C++? Because everyone else was using it? If
    you just need some glue between components, and some logic, and some
    visualizations, any lite language would be much more productive.

    Warning: Specific questions about those systems will get the best answers on
    newsgroups devoted to Linux, GNU, or those systems.

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Jan 27, 2004

  3. "phony" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,

    > I am programming under Linux using c++. I need to visualize some
    > curves and 2-D graphs in my program. Is there any package to do

    this?
    > And I also need to add a user interfaces to my program. Could you

    also
    > suggest a tool for GUI? GTK+ and QT are popular. Which one is better
    > to use for normal program? Thanks a lot!

    Hi,

    People ask this type of question every day, and the response is
    always the same: this is a newsgroup devoted to standard C++, which
    does not include GUI facilities.

    Just out of curiosity, how do you end up posting here without
    reading a description of the group?

    Regards,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Turkanis, Jan 27, 2004
  4. where would one find a description of the group anyway?

    Darius Fatakia, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Darius Fatakia wrote:
    > where would one find a description of the group anyway?

    The welcome message, posted 2 or 3 times a week. Or the FAQ, easily
    located via any of the various FAQ archives, or by using Google (first
    hit on "c++ faq").

    And please don't top-post. See section 5 of the FAQ for more information.

    -Kevin

    Kevin Goodsell, Jan 28, 2004
  6. phony wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am programming under Linux using c++. I need to visualize some
    > curves and 2-D graphs in my program. Is there any package to do this?
    > And I also need to add a user interfaces to my program. Could you also
    > suggest a tool for GUI? GTK+ and QT are popular. Which one is better
    > to use for normal program? Thanks a lot!

    Now that's simple. Just test both options, e.g. with a simple dialog
    application. I personally prefer QT, but GTK+ also has many advantages.

    BTW: Asking such questions will not give you any useful answers most of the
    time, but instead only results in flaming wars between ignorant people.

    --
    To get my real email adress, remove the two onkas

    Hendrik Belitz, Jan 28, 2004
  7. [OT] Re: which GUI tool to use? - welcome message

    "Kevin Goodsell" <> skrev i en
    meddelelse news:fXGRb.29674$...
    > Darius Fatakia wrote:
    > > where would one find a description of the group anyway?
    > >

    > The welcome message, posted 2 or 3 times a week. Or the FAQ, easily

    I have never seen this welcome message... wonder why.

    Peter Koch Larsen, Jan 28, 2004
  8. phony

    phony Guest

    Thanks a lot!

    Actually, other groups related to Linux is in the second page of group
    list. So I chose this group, which I think is the most related. :)

    Best regards!

    Phony

    phony, Jan 28, 2004
  9. phony

    phony Guest

    Thanks a lot!

    I found gnuplot is really nice. There are some c/c++ interfaces,
    through which gunplot command could be sent from c/c++ program. Since
    I want to display the time serials data, how about the speed of
    displaying graphs very often (say 1 plot per second)?

    phony, Jan 28, 2004
  10. phony

    Phlip Guest

    phony wrote:

    > Actually, other groups related to Linux is in the second page of group
    > list. So I chose this group, which I think is the most related. :)

    It would be nice if other posters would say this:

    - your question would get a better answer on newsgroup X

    - the question "what cross-platform library does Y" is on-topic here,
    because we don't trust any other newsgroup to pick a good one.
    But specific questions about Y belong on its newsgroup.

    But they just say "get lost - this question is off-topic, because our topic
    is Standard C++". That's too narrow to admit nearly any question, but its
    benefit is they can remember it.

    However, I don't know how to upgrade GnuPlot in real-time. I know that BLT
    has interactive hooks for Tk. Why don't you use Python instead of C++? Did
    you actually assess your need? Or did you use C++ just because it has such a
    polite newsgroup?

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Jan 28, 2004