which HTML editor do you use?

Hywel Jenkins

FrontPage is probably the single worst program for making web pages...

No it isn't. FrontPage can quite happily generate excellent code in the
hands of someone that has a clue.

Jeffrey Silverman

hands of someone that has a clue.

But the clue part is key. The reason why FP is so hated by web
designers is because of all the lousy pages generated by people who have
no clue.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
No it isn't. FrontPage can quite happily generate excellent code in the
hands of someone that has a clue.

But that is in spite of the editor, not as a result of it. FrontPage
does not help you write quality code, as a decent editor should.

Rappie

Petar said:
Hi Rappie,

I use Notepad. That is what the real web coders and/or designers use, but to
use Notepad you need to know HTML well.
Hi Petar,

I'm using notebook as well for practice, but as the pages get bigger and
complicated, I was wondering how you can make a professional easy and quick.

thanks for your reaction,

Rappie

King of Red Lions

Kris said:
Whoohoo! I LOVE Publisher!!!

Now where can I upload my 247KB "Hello World" page?

Try Geocities.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah and you can also include a nice flashing title to your page, like
previously mentioned in the group!

rf

Hywel said:
No it isn't. FrontPage can quite happily generate excellent code in the
hands of someone that has a clue.

Ever used it to write a page with a bit of PHP in it?

It thinks you have made an error and constantly rearranges all the code.

Samuël van Laere

brucie said:
In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

nope, rf has a link somewhere to an example of what excel does. its
reeeeeeeeeally bad.

Perhaps someone feels tempted to show the world HTML produced
by different applications?
Would like to see some MS Works HTML.

There is a tool for cleaning Word's HTML but since i have
never used Word for HTML i can't say if it does a good job or not.

For now handwriting HTML or using Dreamweaver are the best choices.
Dreamweaver does a very decent job.
Just validate and fix errors if any, it might just pay of.

Regards,
Sam

johnsu01

Nico Schuyt

Rappie said:
We all know MS
FrontPage, but is this a good program to make and (professional)
website?

Absolutely.

My requirements for the perfect editor are:
- a good stylesheet editor
and - allows editing in wysiwyg
and - enables applying styles from (multiple) internal- or external
stylesheets
and - has good support of PHP
and - built in validator (capable of parsing PHP-files)
and - spell checker
and - table editor
and - format selected paragraphs into a list and vice versa
and - paste text from applications like MS-Word as plain paragraphs
and - convert plain text to tables
and - add width and height properties to an imported image and change them
on refresh when the source image has changed
and - translates ASCII into HTML-characters
and - checks for broken links
and - is not too expensive

FP doesn't meet with all those requirements, but it's the best I found so
far

But keep in mind:
- there is no relation what so ever between tools and quality of the
product
- a good knowledge of HTML and CSS is required, no matter what tool you use

Nico Schuyt

Ever used it to write a page with a bit of PHP in it?
It thinks you have made an error and constantly rearranges all the
code.

Only when you use (complex) coding between <? and ?>
No problem with <script language="php"> .. </script>

brucie

In alt.html Nico Schuyt said:
I know, but <script type="text/php"> doesn't work.

and php doesn't seem to be interested in fixing it. disappointing.
Do you have a suggestion?

about frontpage? yes but its rude and will probably make your eyes
water.

Sid Ismail

: On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:21:03 +0000, Hywel Jenkins wrote:
:
: > hands of someone that has a clue.
:
: But the clue part is key. The reason why FP is so hated by web
: designers is because of all the lousy pages generated by people who have
: no clue.

And... a real swine to maintain/update.

Sid

Sid Ismail

: There is a tool for cleaning Word's HTML

So... should one use Word because there's a clean-up? LOL

Sid