which HTML editor do you use?

Philip Ronan

brucie said:
In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

nope, rf has a link somewhere to an example of what excel does. its
reeeeeeeeeally bad.

I think Word still beats it. Take a look at <http://esro.artifax.net/>

The sad thing is I really NEED to use this site to book some tickets for the
theatre this weekend. :-( If anyone can navigate through the mess at
<http://esro.artifax.net/exetertickets/> and get me some tickets for Friday
night at the Northcott, I'd be really grateful!

Lauri Raittila

Brucie's list is of editors -- not operating systems.

Emacs is not really operating system. It is just interface to OS. Just
like Win95 and 98 that are just interfaces to DOS...

;-)

Anyway, I use Emacs (on Win98 and linux), and like it a lot. Not because
I know how to use it, but because it can do everything... Before, I have
always had editors that can't do anything, even if I know how to use
them...

Rappie

Nico Schuyt said:
Absolutely.

My requirements for the perfect editor are:
- a good stylesheet editor
and - allows editing in wysiwyg
and - enables applying styles from (multiple) internal- or external
stylesheets
and - has good support of PHP
and - built in validator (capable of parsing PHP-files)
and - spell checker
and - table editor
and - format selected paragraphs into a list and vice versa
and - paste text from applications like MS-Word as plain paragraphs
and - convert plain text to tables
and - add width and height properties to an imported image and change them
on refresh when the source image has changed
and - translates ASCII into HTML-characters
and - checks for broken links
and - is not too expensive

FP doesn't meet with all those requirements, but it's the best I found so
far

But keep in mind:
- there is no relation what so ever between tools and quality of the
product
- a good knowledge of HTML and CSS is required, no matter what tool you use

Thanks for your reaction,

Rappy

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Rappie quothed:
I read a book about HTML programming and I was wondering, what kind of HTML
editor you use to make your website? We all know MS FrontPage, but is this a
good program to make and (professional) website?

I use Notetab Pro. It lets you highlight different parts of the html in
unique colors.

Nico Schuyt

neredbojias said:

Hey, neredbojias! Is that really you?
Just curious, what happened that you suddenly disappeared around march '03?
(Together with Kae Veerens and
Carol Ott; Coincidence?)
Anyway, I'm pleased you're back :)

johnsu01

Neal said:
Please don't send attachments to non-binary groups.

It's a GPG signature (http://www.gnupg.org). This debate rages all
over Usenet; let's not have it here. I know the reasons why
attachments in non-binary groups are bad, but I make an exception for
GPG/PGP signatures because of the particular benefits of using
them. Plenty of newsreaders do not show it as a binary attachment,
anyway.

Actually, though, there is no need for me to sign messages to this
group; I'll turn it off.

Nicknamezj

Macromedia, Dreamweaver MX 2004. (www.macromedia.com) That is the most
professional one I have seen (I've been a Web Designer for 2 years
now, and taken 2 classis and in my 3rd one now.). I would NOT go with
Frontpage, it's only "friendly" to Internet Explorer Browser.

Also Homesite 5.5 (also at Macromedia) is grate for beginnners and
Adv. web designers.

Hope this has helped you

~Nicknamezj ([email protected])

rf

johnsu01
It's a GPG signature (http://www.gnupg.org). This debate rages all
over Usenet; let's not have it here. I know the reasons why
attachments in non-binary groups are bad, but I make an exception for
GPG/PGP signatures because of the particular benefits of using
them.

Benifit?

The only benifit it gives me is that my newsreader (with my current security
settings) totally ignores your post. This is the very first one I have been
able to read.

Fernie

About a year ago, I read a post where you suggested that Websphere was a
good editor. I went out and bought it and have been using it ever since.
It was easy enough for me to get up and running with.

Thanks.

Toby Inkster

neredbojias said:
I use Notetab Pro. It lets you highlight different parts of the html in
unique colors.

"This part of the HTML is so special I'm going to have to create a brand
new colour that nobody has ever seen before and that will defy everybody's
imagination. And I'm going to use it as the background for this <script>
element."

Unique colours.

Toby Inkster

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Fernie quothed:
About a year ago, I read a post where *** you *** suggested that
Websphere was a good editor. I went out and bought it and have
been using it ever since.
It was easy enough for me to get up and running with.

Who?

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Nico Schuyt quothed:
Hey, neredbojias! Is that really you?
Just curious, what happened that you suddenly disappeared around march '03?
(Together with Kae Veerens and
Carol Ott; Coincidence?)
Anyway, I'm pleased you're back :)

Hi Nico. How ya been. bud? I was on a bottom secret mission for the
Australian government but now I'm back and things are upright again. And
speaking of down under, I didn't see Carol but then again I was too busy
hoppin' with the roos. The old dove hunters there have an even older
saying: if ya hop with the roos ya don't get no coos. Mystifies me.

Steve Pugh

Fernie said:
The person's name was Brucie, I'm guessing that it is the same Brucie in
this thread.

Ah, but whilst it may have been the same brucie there's no certainty that
it was the same voice in brucie's head telling him what to say.

Steve

johnsu01

rf said:
johnsu01

Benifit?

The only benifit it gives me is that my newsreader (with my current security
settings) totally ignores your post. This is the very first one I have been
able to read.

You haven't missed a whole lot.

You might be missing other people's posts too. I'm not the only one
doing this.

johnsu01

Toby Inkster said:
In a text/plain newsgroup, post in text/plain and sign inline.

That might be better, but then people complain about the clutter in
the message.

Like I said, I'm not interested in stirring up the debate on this
here, as it's already going on across a few other groups I read.

Matt Clara

Samuël van Laere said:
Perhaps someone feels tempted to show the world HTML produced
by different applications?
Would like to see some MS Works HTML.

There is a tool for cleaning Word's HTML but since i have
never used Word for HTML i can't say if it does a good job or not.

It does not. I work on a state gov site and the content is given to me in
MS Word format predominantly. I've taken to copying and pasting it into
notepad and then into an HTML editor and reformatting it there. I've seen
ms word use many hundreds of characters just to describe a non-breaking
space with styles...