Which IDE is recommended?

Discussion in 'Python' started by jeff elkins, Apr 27, 2005.

  1. jeff elkins

    jeff elkins Guest

    On Wednesday 27 April 2005 01:16 pm, monkey wrote:
    > Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
    > (For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)
    >
    > Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
    > develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
    > also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
    > it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

    Is Boa actively used? There doesn't seem to be much activity its mailing list.
    The tutorial fails for me using python 2.3.5, wxpython 2.5.3.2 and Boa 0.4.0
    under debian sid.

    Jeff

    monkey, Apr 27, 2005

  3. jeff elkins

    Ishpeck Guest

    Ishpeck, Apr 27, 2005
  4. jeff elkins

    monkey Guest

    > What about eric?

    Good, it seem a very capable ide. But it require qt and for linux only?
    (can't find the system requirement)

    > I have been using PyDev for some time, but i think it is not always very
    > handsome (e.g. writing a 5-line script in vim needs less time than
    > eclipse startup ;-) otoh, for 5line scripts i am using vim anyway...

    Yes, eclipse really eat my ram out....

    monkey, Apr 27, 2005
  5. jeff elkins

    Bill Mill Guest

    On 4/27/05, monkey <> wrote:
    > Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
    > (For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)
    >
    > Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
    > develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
    > also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
    > it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

    Believe it or not, this has been discussed before :)

    Some relevant links, in no particular order:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...b31?q=boa wing komodo&rnum=1#ec34f252a00c4b31
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...bbd?q=boa wing komodo&rnum=3#32f9a7f307d16bbd
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...fea0f68251b810?q=ide&rnum=14#84fea0f68251b810
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...1d3?tvc=1&q=vim emacs komodo#46ef2516271a51d3
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...32?q=vim emacs komodo&rnum=4#d989575525959c32
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...46?q=vim emacs komodo&rnum=5#12ea5915f8f09546
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...a1a?tvc=1&q=vim emacs komodo#a4a84c1e7271ca1a
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...818b?q=vim emacs wing&rnum=1#b2ff72c8e864818b
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...81e?q=vim wing komodo&rnum=2#47d9c8157639d81e
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...f35?q=vim wing komodo&rnum=3#3a118074c68f1f35
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...4dfa2b5391?q=best IDe&rnum=1#cdee764dfa2b5391

    Peace
    Bill Mill
    bill.mill at gmail.com

    Bill Mill, Apr 27, 2005
  6. jeff elkins

    Ishpeck Guest

    Sorry about the empty post.

    I'm a fan of PSPad. It's free, light weight, and works with
    everything.

    http://www.pspad.com/

    Ishpeck, Apr 27, 2005
  7. On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:16:29 +0800, "monkey" <> wrote:

    >Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
    >(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)
    >
    >Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
    >develop?).

    Hello,

    I think, it is.
    But SciTE is also nice (you can start Python Programs with F5, IIRC, and
    you see the output of your program).

    >But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
    >also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
    >it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

    But I personally recommend DrPython. (Not only, I'm a member of the
    project).

    It is very customizable (Keyboard Shortcuts, customizable right-mouse
    popup menu, Syntax Check, you can define your own scripts or macros and
    you can extend it with plugins, as there are several available).

    (Find/Replace in Files, Sessions, Code Completition, Document List,
    Position Marker, Autocomplete, Incremental Search, Abbreviations

    You can open several Python prompts in the editor and start your
    currently typed program and view the output.
    It is written in wxPython, open source and under development.

    I use it for all my Python typing and development.

    --
    Franz Steinhäusler
    http://drpython.sourceforge.net/

    Franz Steinhaeusler, Apr 27, 2005
  8. jeff elkins

    Matt Guest

    The ActiveGrid IDE is a sample app with wxPython. It has a lot of good
    features including a source code debugger that allows you to debug wx
    apps and set breakpoints from the code editor. I am also biased
    though--I work on that IDE and use it for all my coding. Its pretty far
    along on Windows and getting better on Linux. We just got it working on
    a Mac yesterday so that version won't be out for a bit.

    Matt, Apr 27, 2005
  9. On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:16:29 +0800, "monkey" <> wrote:

    >Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
    >(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)
    >
    >Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
    >develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
    >also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
    >it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

    If you intend to use Python for Matlab-like calculations with
    numerical arrays and plotting with Matplotlib, then ipython is the
    right choice-- it has a special 'pylab' mode that is Matplotlib-aware,
    allowing you to make plots interactively (as well as various other
    useful features).

    Matt Feinstein

    --
    There is no virtue in believing something that can be proved to be true.

    Matt Feinstein, Apr 27, 2005
  10. jeff elkins

    Brian Beck Guest

    monkey wrote:
    > Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
    > (For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)
    >
    > Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
    > develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
    > also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
    > it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

    Here's been my experience:

    * Don't underestimate IDLE, it's surprisingly capable considering it's
    just a dinky little thing

    * PyDev isn't yet mature enough to make it practical for me

    * SPE has great features, but the pure-Python-ness makes it slow! Even
    just typing at a steady pace is slowed down due to all the name lookups.
    Plus, I still haven't found a way to reset the built-in Python shell, so
    if you run/import your module into it, you have to reload the entire app
    to reuse the shell. del <module-name> doesn't help because the classes
    will still be in the registry

    * WingIDE is the most advanced by far, but isn't free. Its built-in
    Python shell also suffers from not easily being able to test _the module
    you're writing_ without a bunch of path switching. I remember the
    interface feeling slow on Windows, but on Linux everything is snappy.
    The quickness of the autocompletion for even seperate module members
    amazes me

    * If you're running KDE, KDevelop is very capable. The autocompletion is
    very generic though, it'll happily complete any word you've typed
    before. The auto-indentation isn't nearly as spot-on as WingIDE's

    * I hate PythonWin or whatever it's called. Dunno what more to say

    --
    Brian Beck
    Adventurer of the First Order

    Brian Beck, Apr 27, 2005
  11. I really like eclipse + pydev

    Regards,

    Philippe

    Philippe C. Martin, Apr 27, 2005
  12. jeff elkins

    djw Guest

    monkey wrote:
    > Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
    > (For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)
    >
    > Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
    > develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
    > also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
    > it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

    Eric3 for big stuff.
    SciTE for small stuff.

    djw, Apr 27, 2005
  13. jeff elkins

    monkey Guest

    > * Don't underestimate IDLE, it's surprisingly capable considering it's
    > just a dinky little thing

    Yes, I believe IDLE is the a unbeatible last resort for python (-:

    > * SPE has great features, but the pure-Python-ness makes it slow!

    Is it related to wxpython you mean? or program with GUI in tk (the default
    installed with python) is faster? Would you mind to tell me more...

    monkey, Apr 27, 2005
  14. jeff elkins

    alex Guest

    jeff elkins wrote:

    >Is Boa actively used? There doesn't seem to be much activity its mailing list.
    >The tutorial fails for me using python 2.3.5, wxpython 2.5.3.2 and Boa 0.4.0
    >under debian sid.
    >
    >Jeff

    Boa is not a dead project if that's your concern, maybe it's not getting
    a lot of attention, but the cvs is getting some decent activity, 0.4.x
    was recently released, and I've seen some bug reports being fixed in cvs
    quite fast too.

    It's really a great product if you can live with its poor documentation
    and its constraint-oriented design (as opposed to sizer oriented)
    yes I know it supports sizers, but it wasn't designed for it, and you'll
    probably end up manually coding the sizers because the built-in support
    is really weird.

    anyway, I consider boa the best rad tool for wxpython, it could be
    better.. but it's still the best of its kind imho.

    regards,
    Alex Verstraeten.

    alex, Apr 27, 2005
  15. jeff elkins

    Peter Szinek Guest

    What about eric? (btw afaik it is not listed among the python.org
    editors, or have i overlooked it)? I have installed it today only, so do
    not kill me if it's crap, i am just asking ;-) however it looks
    promising... (at least after IDLE)

    Peter Szinek, Apr 27, 2005
  16. monkey a écrit :
    > Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
    > (For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)
    >
    > Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
    > develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
    > also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
    > it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

    emacs + ECB + python-mode.

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Apr 27, 2005
  17. jeff elkins

    runes Guest

    I used Boa for a Win32 project. It helped me enormously. It's very easy
    to design windows etc. But the generated python code is not beautiful.

    runes, Apr 28, 2005
  18. jeff elkins

    Dave Cook Guest

    On 2005-04-27, monkey <> wrote:

    > Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
    > (For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)
    >
    > Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
    > develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
    > also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
    > it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

    Pydev has some compelling features, but I wish I didn't have to run eclipse
    to get them. I use XEmacs. Once upon a time emacs was considered bloated,
    but it's tiny compared to eclipse.

    Dave Cook

    Dave Cook, Apr 28, 2005
  19. jeff elkins

    Ville Vainio Guest

    pydev> * PyDev isn't yet mature enough to make it practical for me

    What version? PyDev has increased in maturity quite a bit lately.

    --
    Ville Vainio http://tinyurl.com/2prnb

    Ville Vainio, Apr 28, 2005
  20. On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:17:13 -0400, Bill Mill <>
    wrote:

    >On 4/27/05, monkey <> wrote:
    >> Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
    >> (For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)
    >>
    >> Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
    >> develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
    >> also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
    >> it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.
    >>

    >Believe it or not, this has been discussed before :)

    But nevertheless interesting again and again :)

    Franz Steinhaeusler, Apr 28, 2005