Which IDE is recommended?

jeff elkins

Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)

Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

Is Boa actively used? There doesn't seem to be much activity its mailing list.
The tutorial fails for me using python 2.3.5, wxpython 2.5.3.2 and Boa 0.4.0
under debian sid.

Jeff

monkey

Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)

Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

Ishpeck

monkey said:
Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)

Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

monkey

What about eric?

Good, it seem a very capable ide. But it require qt and for linux only?
(can't find the system requirement)
I have been using PyDev for some time, but i think it is not always very
handsome (e.g. writing a 5-line script in vim needs less time than
eclipse startup ;-) otoh, for 5line scripts i am using vim anyway...

Yes, eclipse really eat my ram out....

Bill Mill

Franz Steinhaeusler

Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)

Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
develop?).

Hello,

I think, it is.
But SciTE is also nice (you can start Python Programs with F5, IIRC, and
you see the output of your program).

But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

But I personally recommend DrPython. (Not only, I'm a member of the
project).

It is very customizable (Keyboard Shortcuts, customizable right-mouse
popup menu, Syntax Check, you can define your own scripts or macros and
you can extend it with plugins, as there are several available).

(Find/Replace in Files, Sessions, Code Completition, Document List,
Position Marker, Autocomplete, Incremental Search, Abbreviations

You can open several Python prompts in the editor and start your
currently typed program and view the output.
It is written in wxPython, open source and under development.

I use it for all my Python typing and development.

Matt

The ActiveGrid IDE is a sample app with wxPython. It has a lot of good
features including a source code debugger that allows you to debug wx
apps and set breakpoints from the code editor. I am also biased
though--I work on that IDE and use it for all my coding. Its pretty far
along on Windows and getting better on Linux. We just got it working on
a Mac yesterday so that version won't be out for a bit.

Matt Feinstein

Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)

Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

If you intend to use Python for Matlab-like calculations with
numerical arrays and plotting with Matplotlib, then ipython is the
right choice-- it has a special 'pylab' mode that is Matplotlib-aware,
allowing you to make plots interactively (as well as various other
useful features).

Matt Feinstein

Brian Beck

monkey said:
Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)

Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

Here's been my experience:

* Don't underestimate IDLE, it's surprisingly capable considering it's
just a dinky little thing

* PyDev isn't yet mature enough to make it practical for me

* SPE has great features, but the pure-Python-ness makes it slow! Even
just typing at a steady pace is slowed down due to all the name lookups.
Plus, I still haven't found a way to reset the built-in Python shell, so
if you run/import your module into it, you have to reload the entire app
to reuse the shell. del <module-name> doesn't help because the classes
will still be in the registry

* WingIDE is the most advanced by far, but isn't free. Its built-in
Python shell also suffers from not easily being able to test _the module
you're writing_ without a bunch of path switching. I remember the
interface feeling slow on Windows, but on Linux everything is snappy.
The quickness of the autocompletion for even seperate module members
amazes me

* If you're running KDE, KDevelop is very capable. The autocompletion is
very generic though, it'll happily complete any word you've typed
before. The auto-indentation isn't nearly as spot-on as WingIDE's

* I hate PythonWin or whatever it's called. Dunno what more to say

djw

monkey said:
Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)

Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.
Eric3 for big stuff.
SciTE for small stuff.

monkey

* Don't underestimate IDLE, it's surprisingly capable considering it's
just a dinky little thing

Yes, I believe IDLE is the a unbeatible last resort for python (-:
* SPE has great features, but the pure-Python-ness makes it slow!

Is it related to wxpython you mean? or program with GUI in tk (the default
installed with python) is faster? Would you mind to tell me more...

alex

jeff said:
Is Boa actively used? There doesn't seem to be much activity its mailing list.
The tutorial fails for me using python 2.3.5, wxpython 2.5.3.2 and Boa 0.4.0
under debian sid.

Jeff
Boa is not a dead project if that's your concern, maybe it's not getting
a lot of attention, but the cvs is getting some decent activity, 0.4.x
was recently released, and I've seen some bug reports being fixed in cvs
quite fast too.

It's really a great product if you can live with its poor documentation
and its constraint-oriented design (as opposed to sizer oriented)
yes I know it supports sizers, but it wasn't designed for it, and you'll
probably end up manually coding the sizers because the built-in support
is really weird.

anyway, I consider boa the best rad tool for wxpython, it could be
better.. but it's still the best of its kind imho.

regards,
Alex Verstraeten.

Peter Szinek

What about eric? (btw afaik it is not listed among the python.org
editors, or have i overlooked it)? I have installed it today only, so do
not kill me if it's crap, i am just asking ;-) however it looks
promising... (at least after IDLE)

I have been using PyDev for some time, but i think it is not always very
handsome (e.g. writing a 5-line script in vim needs less time than
eclipse startup ;-) otoh, for 5line scripts i am using vim anyway...

Bruno Desthuilliers

monkey a écrit :
Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)

Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.
emacs + ECB + python-mode.

runes

I used Boa for a Win32 project. It helped me enormously. It's very easy
to design windows etc. But the generated python code is not beautiful.

Dave Cook

Read through python site for programming tool, really plenty of choices :)
(For c++, I just can't breath with very very limited choices)

Tried Spe, it come with wxGlade built-in very nice(is Spe still actively
develop?). But seem that Boa Constructor and PyDev(the plug-in for Eclipse)
also worth looking. Actually which one are you guys using? and why? I think
it is also valuable for those who are new to python as me.

Pydev has some compelling features, but I wish I didn't have to run eclipse
to get them. I use XEmacs. Once upon a time emacs was considered bloated,
but it's tiny compared to eclipse.

Dave Cook

Ville Vainio

pydev> * PyDev isn't yet mature enough to make it practical for me

What version? PyDev has increased in maturity quite a bit lately.