    experienced ppl there. Also, I'm interested in computer security
    involving low level coding in C, C++. Which platform will be better for
    me keeping this in view?
    cat_dog_ass, Apr 5, 2006

  2. cat_dog_ass

    Chris Smith Guest

    cat_dog_ass <> wrote:
    > Java is mature...however, a beginner may not stand any chance to
    > compete against industry bigwigs. On the other hand, .NET is newer and
    > gives newbies a relatively firm foothold, since there are hardly
    > experienced ppl there. Also, I'm interested in computer security
    > involving low level coding in C, C++. Which platform will be better for
    > me keeping this in view?

    I think you're incorrect in saying that no one is experienced in .NET.
    It is considerably newer than Java, but still has been around for a
    number of years, and the languages are at least similar to pre-.NET
    languages in important ways.

    Your desire to do low-level C and C++ code is not related to this
    situation. If you're looking to write low-level native code, you'll
    have to do it with a language that's different from Java or any .NET
    language. (Note: No, C++ is not an exception. Contrary to popular
    belief, you cannot write .NET code with C++. You instead need to use a
    different language called "C++/CLI" which is basically Microsoft-
    proprietary and rubber-stamped by the ECMA.)

    As for whether to use Java or .NET, it depends. .NET code is basically
    Windows-limited and integrates better into Windows environments,
    especially if you're working with COM and the like. Java is more
    portable, generally easier to get into without breaking the bank (for
    individuals; for large corporate environments, tool costs are largely
    irrelevant), and is more mature and has a larger amount of third-party
    corporate and open-source supporting structures and code base.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Apr 5, 2006

  3. cat_dog_ass

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "cat_dog_ass" <> wrote in message
    > .NET is newer and
    > gives newbies a relatively firm foothold, since there are hardly
    > experienced ppl there.

    If you take a programming newbie, and a programming veteran who happens
    to have zero .NET experience, and you assign both of them to a .NET project,
    the veteran is probably going to whoop the newbie's butt. While both parties
    might not know the .NET API very well, the veteran will have experience with
    object oriented programming, design patterns, asymptotic performance
    analysis of data structure and algorithms, etc. giving that person a huge
    edge of the newbie.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Apr 6, 2006
  4. cat_dog_ass

    Larry Guest

    If you are looking for hard numbers, do a search on dice.com and
    checkout the # of job opportunities for each technology. Would give
    you an idea which has the greater following, at least per job
    availability.
    Larry, Apr 6, 2006