Which is better for JME devel: Netbeans or Eclipse?

Hunter Gratzner

For JME/J2ME development, which devel environment is better? Netbeans
or Eclipse?

It doesn't matter. Your talent influences your results much more than
any IDE.

earth_792

For JME/J2ME development, which devel environment is better? Netbeans
or Eclipse?

I agreed with "Hunter Gratzner". IDE shouldn't matter. If you are
comfortable with either of those, then use it. There have a lot of
support available out there. But my favorite is Eclipse. :)

Lew

earth_792 said:
I agreed with "Hunter Gratzner". IDE shouldn't matter. If you are
comfortable with either of those, then use it. There have a lot of
support available out there. But my favorite is Eclipse. :)

What is with all these people trying to start Editor Wars?

If you can't program using Ant and either vi or emacs (or other raw text
editor) on the command line, you won't be able to use any IDE effectively.

If we were Sensei Miyagi we'd make all new programmers use only command-line
tools for the first year.

tetsuoni

I agreed with "Hunter Gratzner". IDE shouldn't matter. If you are
comfortable with either of those, then use it. There have a lot of
support available out there. But my favorite is Eclipse. :)

I can see what you are getting at. I agree.

So now that I have picked on (Netbeans... and you were right, good
support is out there, too! :)), my next question is how do you deploy
your JME apps so your mobile phone can run them? So far, I have a web
server and installed the JAD/JAR Mime types. What do you do to make
your stuff work?

Ramon F Herrera

For JME/J2ME development, which devel environment is better? Netbeans
or Eclipse?

For smaller projects, homeworks, etc. use NetBeans.

For larger projects, with team members, use Eclipse.

Since both come from the same source (Sun), NetBeans has a tight
integration with OpenOffice.

Instead of using the plain vanilla Eclipse, I would recommend the
Turbo JBuilder with is based, and builds upon (the download size is
twice) Eclipse.

I recently downloaded and am very impressed with IntelliJ IDEA (it
costs money, though).

Then there is the issue of whether you need to do any graphical
editing: that brings a whole set of considerations (aka can of worms).

Since I can't decide, I have decided to keep and use all of the above.

What I did was to keep all my source code in its own directory,
separate from Eclipse's "workspace" and other IDE-specific project,
build and dist directories.

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

For JME/J2ME development, which devel environment is better? Netbeans
or Eclipse?

For smaller projects, homeworks, etc. use NetBeans.

For larger projects, with team members, use Eclipse.

Since both come from the same source (Sun), NetBeans has a tight
integration with OpenOffice.

Instead of using the plain vanilla Eclipse, I would recommend the
Turbo JBuilder which is based, and builds upon (the download size is
twice as big) Eclipse.

I recently downloaded and am very impressed with IntelliJ IDEA (it
costs money, though).

Then there is the issue of whether you need to do any graphical
editing: that brings a whole set of considerations (aka can of worms).

Since I can't decide, I have decided to keep and use all of the above.

What I did was to keep all my source code in its own directory,
separate from Eclipse's "workspace" and other IDE-specific project,
build and dist directories.

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

For JME/J2ME development, which devel environment is better? Netbeans
or Eclipse?

NetBeans is more Swing oriented, while Eclipse prefers SWT.

-RFH

Lew

Ramon said:
For smaller projects, homeworks, etc. use NetBeans.

For larger projects, with team members, use Eclipse.

Do you mean specifically for JME?

I use NetBeans on team projects, including rather large ones, all the time.
Why in the world would you limit it to small projects?

Lew

Ramon said:
NetBeans is more Swing oriented, while Eclipse prefers SWT.

Correct. SWT is IBM's graphics component library, and Eclipse is their
open-source IDE.

Ramon F Herrera

Do you mean specifically for JME?

I use NetBeans on team projects, including rather large ones, all the time.
Why in the world would you limit it to small projects?

NetBeans has a definite possibility or disappearing, with Sun joining
the Eclipse bandwagon.

The converse scenario (Eclipse joining the NB bandwagon) is precisely
zero.

NetBeans has behind the support of one important company.

Eclipse has behind it:

- IBM
- Oracle
- RedHat
- SAP
- Borland
- Intel
- Nokia
- Wind River
- BEA
- Adobe
- Google
- HP

Eclipse can be grown with expensive upgrade path such as JBuilder
Enterprise. There is no such upgrade path for NetBeans.

I just wish Sun would contribute things like Matisse to Eclipse.

-Ramon

Bozo Juretic

Hi Ramon,

Ramon F Herrera said:
I just wish Sun would contribute things like Matisse to Eclipse.

Actually, I don't know if you've seen it, but guys at MyEclipse
(www.myeclipseide.com) have ported Matisse to (My)Eclipse. The whole
team has a license for a few months now and it's working fine.
Actually, ported Matisse was THE reason why we bought it.

Unfortunatelly, Matisse itself is a huge Eclipse distribution so you
need a lot of RAM and it just dies in pain every now and then, but
putting that aside and we have used Matisse on MyEclipse successfuly
for very complicated UIs and it is working very well.

Regards,

Bozo Juretic

Andrew Thompson

Ramon said:
NetBeans is more Swing oriented, while Eclipse prefers SWT.

Does SWT provide classes for J2ME apps.?

Anyway, irrespective of that..

That would tend* to make me prefer NetBeans over
Eclipse (I do a lot of GUIs intended for 'home users').
1) Very few people (around here) understand SWT
well enough to answer technical questions on SWT.
2) End users do not want to suffer the hit of downloading
(?) Mbytes of SWT API on top of the JVM.

The only other things that would be immediately important**
to me are, memory/CPU footprint and ability to refactor.

The footprint of either is too great for this poor old dev. PC
I use.

As far as refactoring goes, I understand Eclipse is
somewhat legendary (some people 'swear by it'),
while NetBeans is ..(dunno') ..Lew?

But ultimately I agree with the 'understand Java first'
comment, most. The more bells and whistles an IDE
has, the faster it can lead you right up the garden path,
through the gate and out into the wild wilderness.

* I actually use Ant and TextPad .

** Dev. tools have to be 'free for any use I see fit'.
But that pretty much goes without saying around here,
doesn't it? People who mention commercial products
feel compelled to almost ..'apologise' for doing so.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Bozo Juretic

Hi Ramon,

Ramon F Herrera said:
I just wish Sun would contribute things like Matisse to Eclipse.

Actually, I don't know if you've seen it, but guys at MyEclipse
(www.myeclipseide.com) have ported Matisse to (My)Eclipse. The whole
team has a license for a few months now and it's working fine.
Actually, ported Matisse was THE reason why we bought it.

Unfortunatelly, MyEclipse itself is a huge Eclipse distribution so you
need a lot of RAM and it just dies in pain every now and then, but
putting that aside we have used Matisse on MyEclipse successfuly
for very complicated UIs and it is working remarkably well.

Regards,

Bozo Juretic

tetsuoni

Do you mean specifically for JME?

I use NetBeans on team projects, including rather large ones, all the time.
Why in the world would you limit it to small projects?

You do tea projects on NetBeans for JME! Cool! I decided to go
NetBeans as well. I'd configured my webserver's Mime to support JAD
and JAR, but I am not sure how to deploy my MIDlet to my handset.
Could you share how you and your team do it?

Ramon F Herrera

[...]

Andrew & Lew (and others):

Allow me to revert the question. I realize that one should pick and
IDE and dedicate time and effort to learn it well, to have most
projects consolidated in the same IDE. Having said that... why would
anyone not have both Eclipse and NetBeans installed in their machine?

One should have at least a cursory knowledge of their secondary (or
tertiary) IDE, shouldn't one?

-Ramon

RedGrittyBrick

Lew said:
Correct. SWT is IBM's graphics component library, and Eclipse is their
open-source IDE.

The people who developed Eclipse may well prefer SWT to Swing but, as a
user of Eclipse, I can detect no bias against using it to develop Swing
apps - am I missing something?

Ramon F Herrera

Hi Ramon,

Actually, I don't know if you've seen it, but guys at MyEclipse
(www.myeclipseide.com) have ported Matisse to (My)Eclipse. The whole
team has a license for a few months now and it's working fine.
Actually, ported Matisse was THE reason why we bought it.

Unfortunatelly, Matisse itself is a huge Eclipse distribution so you
need a lot of RAM and it just dies in pain every now and then, but
putting that aside and we have used Matisse on MyEclipse successfuly
for very complicated UIs and it is working very well.

Regards,

Bozo Juretic

--www.onlineos-network.com

Hi BJ:

We have Matisse on Eclipse? That's really good news.

About your lack of performance: could it be that your PC is
underpowered? Is it recent? The sudden death is even more troublesome.
You are probably running Windows, right?

The one thing I don't like about Matisse is its unidirectionality. I
just downloaded (haven't tried it yet) WindowBuilder:

http://www.windowbuilderpro.com/

I hear that it is really good, bidirectional (as far as such thing is
possible) and therefore it can read and parse Java source code written
by other visual builders.

The solution to the visual design ordeal will be provided (hopefully
soon!) by the standardization of the *.form file format.

-Ramon

Lew

Ramon said:
Allow me to revert the question. I realize that one should pick and
IDE and dedicate time and effort to learn it well, to have most
projects consolidated in the same IDE. Having said that... why would
anyone not have both Eclipse and NetBeans installed in their machine?

One should have at least a cursory knowledge of their secondary (or
tertiary) IDE, shouldn't one?

Absolutely! I have for years used both NB and Eclipse, frequently on the same
project for the same code artifacts.