    multiplexer in normal situation and why?

    Thank you.

    Weng

    Weng Tianxiang, Aug 5, 2005

  2. Weng Tianxiang

    TigerJade Guest

    2-input muxer might be faster? An AND gate needs a NAND gate followed
    by a inverter, I think.

    TigerJade, Aug 5, 2005

  3. Weng Tianxiang

    eNo Guest

    "Weng Tianxiang" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I would like to know from experienced ASIC designers the following
    > question:
    > Which is faster in ASIC circuit: 2-input AND gate or a 2-input
    > multiplexer in normal situation and why?

    Generally, the and-gate would be faster. The mux has two levels of logic,
    whereas the and-gate only has one. In FPGA land this isn't so clear: most
    logic is implemented in "LUT" blocks, which are essentially muxes. As
    always, YMMV.

    --
    `°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°
    ,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,

    eNo, Aug 5, 2005
  4. Hi,
    Thank you for your inputs.

    1. I misspell the question: it should be:
    Which is faster in ASIC: 2-input NAND gate or 2-input multiplexer?

    Actually in ASIC, one multiplexer comprises 2 pass gates, one is P-type
    pass gate, another N-type pass gate. The select input is coupled to two
    pass gate control input.

    For a 2-input NAND, it comprises 4 pass gates and two inverters.

    Thank you.

    Weng

    VC

    Weng Tianxiang, Aug 5, 2005
  5. Weng Tianxiang wrote:

    > Which is faster in ASIC: 2-input NAND gate or 2-input multiplexer?

    Just a note: If you write good VHDL code, the synthesis tool will do the
    decision for you - depending on the library.

    Ralf

    Ralf Hildebrandt, Aug 5, 2005
  6. Re: Which is faster in ASIC: 2-input AND gate or a 2-inputmultiplexer

    "Weng Tianxiang" <> writes:

    > Hi,
    > Thank you for your inputs.
    >
    > 1. I misspell the question: it should be:
    > Which is faster in ASIC: 2-input NAND gate or 2-input multiplexer?
    >
    > Actually in ASIC, one multiplexer comprises 2 pass gates, one is P-type
    > pass gate, another N-type pass gate. The select input is coupled to two
    > pass gate control input.
    >
    > For a 2-input NAND, it comprises 4 pass gates and two inverters.

    Rubbish. A 2-input NAND gate can be made out of 4 transistors, and is
    about the fastest gate you can come up with in any CMOS technology
    (well, either that or a 2-input NOR gate).

    Kai

    Kai Harrekilde-Petersen, Aug 5, 2005
  7. Hi Kai,
    It is not rubbish.

    I really don't know and really want to know. Could you please refer to
    any books or materials that contain its schematics.

    What I read is that it comprises 4 pass gates and two inverters.

    Thank you.

    Weng

    Weng Tianxiang, Aug 5, 2005
  8. Hi Kai,
    You are right.

    NAND comprises 2 P-type pass gates serial coupled to VC and 2 N-type
    pass gate parallel coupled to ground and control input of each P-type
    pass gate and N-type pass gate is coupled to one of input.

    One 2-input multiplexer has a P-type pass gate and a N-type pass gate.
    Their select input terminal are tied together and their 2 input
    terminal are coupled to 2 inputs and their outputs are connected
    together.

    Which one is faster? Can you give some data on them. I don't have ASIC
    experiences and don't have its related time estimate software
    experiences. I want someone to provide some tips on its speed level.

    Weng

    Weng Tianxiang, Aug 5, 2005
  9. Re: Which is faster in ASIC: 2-input AND gate or a 2-inputmultiplexer

    Hi Weng,

    "Weng Tianxiang" <> writes:

    > NAND comprises 2 P-type pass gates serial coupled to VC and 2 N-type
    > pass gate parallel coupled to ground and control input of each P-type
    > pass gate and N-type pass gate is coupled to one of input.
    >
    > One 2-input multiplexer has a P-type pass gate and a N-type pass gate.
    > Their select input terminal are tied together and their 2 input
    > terminal are coupled to 2 inputs and their outputs are connected
    > together.
    >
    > Which one is faster? Can you give some data on them. I don't have ASIC
    > experiences and don't have its related time estimate software
    > experiences. I want someone to provide some tips on its speed level.

    It's long since I did full custom layout and SPICE simulations on the
    layout, so I can't give you have hard data. But a NAND2 gate in a
    commercial 130nm process is less than 100psec (depending on output
    drive etc).

    In the standard 2-input NAND implementation each input will see a
    p-mos and an n-mos gate, and the output drive is directly from
    VDD/VSS.

    Time for some ascii-art (please use a fixed-pitch font when viewing this):

    VDD
    -------------
    | |
    |- |-
    A-o| B-o|
    |- |-
    | |
    +------+--- Y

    |-
    A--|
    |-

    |-
    B--|
    |-

    -------------
    VSS

    Pass-gate/mux implementation:

    ---
    | |
    VSS--- -----+
    | | |
    --- |
    | |
    +--!B +---Y
    | |
    o |
    --- |
    | | |
    A--- -----+
    | |
    ---

    (please bear with my lazyness - !B is input B inverted)

    The first implementation requires 4 transistors, is quite symmetric
    wrt rise/fall time and delay from input to output.

    The second will have a inferior drive to VDD/VSS when B=1 and good
    drive to VSS when B=0. Input delay timing will obviously be different
    for the two inputs, and it's going to take up more area (6
    transistors).

    I'd seriously doubt that the second implementation can be better than
    the first implementation on any parameter (area, timing, power) -
    assuming they are designed for driving the same output load, and
    having /reasonably/ identical delay timing from A and B to Y.

    Using pass-gates to implement complex logic can be very efficient,
    when you are designing a well-controlled full-custom block (e.g.
    ALU/MUL/RAM/CAM blocks, where the signal will be 'refreshed' before it
    is sent outside the block), but for fundamental gates like a NAND2
    gate I would say that it's not their day anymore.

    For 180nm and below, most of the delay is not in the gates themselves,
    but normally in the wires between the gates. Hence, you need a good
    clean drive out of your gate onto the next, in order to get the best
    timing.

    I hope this has answered your questions.

    Kai

    Kai Harrekilde-Petersen, Aug 6, 2005
  10. Hi Kai,
    Thank you very much. I am doing some important patent applications that
    can be drawn as either one. I don't have any experiences with ASIC,
    even though I have lot of FPGA experiences.

    I see the following multiplexer implementation in some approved
    patents.

    ---
    | |
    I1--- -----+
    + --- O
    I2--- -----+
    | |
    ---

    What I really want to compare is which is faster: 2-input AND gate and
    a mulitplexer on speed.

    Based on your advice, I will change my drawing in the application.

    Later I will send my patent application to you after it is mailed to
    USPTO.

    If you have more information to provide, please let me know.

    Weng

    Weng Tianxiang, Aug 7, 2005
  11. Weng Tianxiang

    Neo Guest

    The above maybe good only for patent records. The twos transistors are
    not good at passing both '1' and '0' equally efficiently.

    Neo, Aug 8, 2005
  12. Hi Neo,
    Can you give me some tips or your experiences about how to best
    implement the multiplexer circuit.

    Thank you for your discussion.

    Weng

    Weng Tianxiang, Aug 8, 2005
  13. Weng Tianxiang

    Neo Guest

    The ones I can think of are already given above.

    Neo, Aug 11, 2005