    is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?
    Thanks

    , Feb 19, 2007

  2. David Harmon Guest

    On 19 Feb 2007 12:01:16 -0800 in comp.lang.perl.misc,
    wrote,
    >I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
    >is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?
    >Thanks

    BEFORE POSTING read the welcome message posted twice per week in
    comp.lang.c++ under the subject "Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this
    first." or available at http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    David Harmon, Feb 19, 2007

  3. Ted Davis Guest

    On 19 Feb 2007 12:01:16 -0800, wrote:

    >I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
    >is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?
    >Thanks

    Assembly language, followed by C.

    That comes close to being a stupid question, and is ceratinly a troll.

    --
    T.E.D. ()
    Remove "gearbox.maem." from address - that one is dead

    Ted Davis, Feb 19, 2007
  4. writes:

    > I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
    > is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?

    one can convert sed to perl, and awk to perl.
    You can't convert a generic perl to sed or awk script.

    In short, perl is more powerful, but more complicated. If you are new
    to all of them, I'd use AWK.

    I think AWK is a wonderful, simple and elegant language. It has a lot
    of power, and is easy to learm.

    If you need to do something that AWK can't do, and can't easily fix it
    by piping the results to another utility liek sed or sort, try
    converting it to perl (using "a2p") and adding the new stuff to
    perl. And since you know how AWK works, you get a head start on perl
    by using the perl flavor of the AWK script.

    Bruce Barnett, Feb 20, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    Bruce Barnett <> wrote:
    % writes:
    %
    % > I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
    % > is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?
    %
    % one can convert sed to perl, and awk to perl.
    % You can't convert a generic perl to sed or awk script.

    Because to do that, you'd have to be able to read it.
    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    North York Canada

    Patrick TJ McPhee, Feb 20, 2007
  6. David Harmon <> writes:
    > On 19 Feb 2007 12:01:16 -0800 in comp.lang.perl.misc,
    > wrote,
    >>I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
    >>is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?
    >>Thanks

    > BEFORE POSTING read the welcome message posted twice per week in
    > comp.lang.c++ under the subject "Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this
    > first." or available at http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    How would that be helpful to someone posting to comp.lang.awk,
    comp.unix.shell, comp.unix.questions, and comp.lang.perl.misc?

    Keith Thompson, Feb 23, 2007
  7. Bill Marcum Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.shell.]
    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:22:11 -0800, Keith Thompson
    <> wrote:

    > David Harmon <> writes:
    >> On 19 Feb 2007 12:01:16 -0800 in comp.lang.perl.misc,
    >> wrote,
    >>>I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
    >>>is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?
    >>>Thanks

    >> BEFORE POSTING read the welcome message posted twice per week in
    >> comp.lang.c++ under the subject "Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this
    >> first." or available at http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    > How would that be helpful to someone posting to comp.lang.awk,
    > comp.unix.shell, comp.unix.questions, and comp.lang.perl.misc?

    It might help them learn to trim their crossposts.

    --
    * joeyh_ wonders if linux is supposed to lock up when you ask 100
    processes to cat the entire cd drive

    Bill Marcum, Feb 23, 2007