which is more powerfull ?

ehabaziz2001

I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?
Thanks

David Harmon

On 19 Feb 2007 12:01:16 -0800 in comp.lang.perl.misc,
(e-mail address removed) wrote,
I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?
Thanks

BEFORE POSTING read the welcome message posted twice per week in
comp.lang.c++ under the subject "Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this
first." or available at http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

Ted Davis

I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?
Thanks

Assembly language, followed by C.

That comes close to being a stupid question, and is ceratinly a troll.

Bruce Barnett

I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?

one can convert sed to perl, and awk to perl.
You can't convert a generic perl to sed or awk script.

In short, perl is more powerful, but more complicated. If you are new
to all of them, I'd use AWK.

I think AWK is a wonderful, simple and elegant language. It has a lot
of power, and is easy to learm.

If you need to do something that AWK can't do, and can't easily fix it
by piping the results to another utility liek sed or sort, try
converting it to perl (using "a2p") and adding the new stuff to
perl. And since you know how AWK works, you get a head start on perl
by using the perl flavor of the AWK script.

Patrick TJ McPhee

%
% > I need to process some files to create new one with OMR marks . which
% > is more powerfull in processing files ? awk/sed or perl or others ?
%
% one can convert sed to perl, and awk to perl.
% You can't convert a generic perl to sed or awk script.

Because to do that, you'd have to be able to read it.

Keith Thompson

David Harmon said:
On 19 Feb 2007 12:01:16 -0800 in comp.lang.perl.misc,
(e-mail address removed) wrote,

BEFORE POSTING read the welcome message posted twice per week in
comp.lang.c++ under the subject "Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this
first." or available at http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

How would that be helpful to someone posting to comp.lang.awk,
comp.unix.shell, comp.unix.questions, and comp.lang.perl.misc?

Bill Marcum

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.shell.]
How would that be helpful to someone posting to comp.lang.awk,
comp.unix.shell, comp.unix.questions, and comp.lang.perl.misc?
It might help them learn to trim their crossposts.