    Hi All,
    i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
    reference for beginner to start from novice

    santosh hs, Jan 24, 2011

  2. santosh hs wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
    > reference for beginner to start from novice

    Hi,

    You could have searched the archive, this question was raised many times.

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntroductoryBooks

    I read "Learning Python" when I started. Since it's the only one I read
    I cannot tell you which one is the best (if there is).
    Python is easy to learn, I'm not sure it's possible to write a bad book
    about it.

    JM

    Jean-Michel Pichavant, Jan 24, 2011

  3. On 24-Jan-11 12:38 PM, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
    > santosh hs wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >> i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
    >> reference for beginner to start from novice

    > Hi,
    >
    > You could have searched the archive, this question was raised many times.
    >
    > http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntroductoryBooks
    >
    > I read "Learning Python" when I started. Since it's the only one I read
    > I cannot tell you which one is the best (if there is).
    > Python is easy to learn, I'm not sure it's possible to write a bad book
    > about it.
    >
    > JM

    I liked Alex Martelli's Python in a nutshell, but it's a bit dated now.

    Colin W.

    Colin J. Williams, Jan 24, 2011
  4. Dnia Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:09:31 -0800, santosh hs napisał(a):

    > Hi All,
    > i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
    > reference for beginner to start from novice

    For most CS stuff O'Reilly is most often a good bet. Therefore I think
    you'll find Mark Lutz's "Learning Python" useful.

    Krzysztof Bieniasz, Jan 24, 2011
  5. On Jan 24, 5:09 pm, santosh hs <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
    > reference for beginner to start from novice

    If you want to learn Python 3 and have some prior programming
    experience (in any modern procedural or object oriented language), you
    might find
    "Programming in Python 3" (http://www.qtrac.eu/py3book.html) to be a
    good choice. (I'm biased though since I wrote it;-)

    Mark Summerfield, Jan 25, 2011
  6. santosh hs

    John Pinner Guest

    On Jan 25, 8:56 am, Mark Summerfield <> wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 5:09 pm, santosh hs <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,
    > > i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
    > > reference for beginner to start from novice

    > If you want to learn Python 3 and have some prior programming
    > experience (in any modern procedural or object oriented language), you
    > might find
    > "Programming in Python 3" (http://www.qtrac.eu/py3book.html) to be a
    > good choice. (I'm biased though since I wrote it;-)

    You may be biased, but you're right :)

    Nice book.

    John

    John Pinner, Jan 25, 2011
  7. santosh hs

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2011-01-25, Mark Summerfield <> wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 5:09 pm, santosh hs <> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >> i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
    >> reference for beginner to start from novice

    > If you want to learn Python 3 and have some prior programming
    > experience (in any modern procedural or object oriented language), you
    > might find
    > "Programming in Python 3" (http://www.qtrac.eu/py3book.html) to be a
    > good choice. (I'm biased though since I wrote it;-)

    I am usually a big fan for O'reilly books and I started learning Python
    from the first edition of _Learning Python_. It's not a bad book and it
    will get you started. I cannot speak for the latest edition which seems to
    contain quite a bit more then the version I read.

    When Python 3 was released, I decided to try relearn Python 3 from scratch
    rather then trying to simply figure out the differences between versions. I
    picked up Mr. Summerfield's book because it seemed to be the first book to
    cover Python 3 excusively and I was rather impressed. I would definitely
    recommend it to others.

    [OT] P.S. to Mark Summerfield. You have been hanging around in the Go Nuts
    mailing list. Is that any indication that you might be considering writing
    a book on Go? If you do, you will have at least one customer.

    Tim Harig, Jan 25, 2011
  8. santosh hs

    David Hutto Guest

    Building Skills In Python has been a great learning tool, and
    reference(I don't exactly learn linearly):

    homepage.mac.com/s_lott/books/python.html

    David Hutto, Jan 25, 2011
  9. On Jan 24, 2:09 pm, santosh hs <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
    > reference for beginner to start from novice

    If you are a complete beginner to programming, I suggest start with a
    tutorial such as "A Byte of Python" (google this).
    I learned my first steps with Josh Cogliati's "Non-Programmers
    Tutorial For Python" http://www.oopweb.com/Python/Documents/easytut/VolumeFrames.html
    ..

    The suggestions above are very good if you are new to programming en
    general (not only to python).
    If you have some experience, you may look to something more advanced,
    such as "Dive into Python".
    All these resources are available online for free.

    If you want to but a book, I like "Beginning Python: From Novice to
    Professional".

    Hope this helps...
    Luis

    Luis M. González, Jan 26, 2011
  10. On 2011-01-26 01:43 , Luis M. González wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 2:09 pm, santosh hs <> wrote:
    >> i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
    >> reference for beginner to start from novice

    > If you are a complete beginner to programming, I suggest start with a
    > tutorial such as "A Byte of Python" (google this).
    > I learned my first steps with Josh Cogliati's "Non-Programmers
    > Tutorial For Python" http://www.oopweb.com/Python/Documents/easytut/VolumeFrames.html

    Josh moved this tutorial to Wikibooks some years ago, where it has been
    improved since then. Today there are two versions, one for Python 2.x
    and one for Python 3:

    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python_2.6
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python_3

    I have used it to introduce people to programming with very good results.

    If you want to get the maximum out of Lutz & Asher's "Learning Python",
    which is a very good book as well, you should have programmed in some
    way before.

    Ben

    Benjamin Hell, Jan 27, 2011
  11. santosh hs

    santosh hs Guest

    I am very new to object oriented concept, so I need to learn
    everything frm basic, Will the above books fulfill
    My need

    santosh hs, Jan 27, 2011
  12. Jean-Michel Pichavant, Jan 27, 2011
  13. On Jan 27, 3:43 pm, Jean-Michel Pichavant <>
    wrote:
    > santosh hs wrote:
    > > I am very new to object oriented concept,  so I need to learn
    > > everything frm basic, Will the above books fulfill
    > >  My need

    > read thishttp://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/tutclass.htm
    >
    > and stop when they start to talk about VBscript :)
    >
    > JM

    I strongly second this suggestion.
    Alan Gauld's example of a banking application was just what I needed
    to finally understand object oriented programming.
    This is how my head made the "click".

    Luis

    Luis M. González, Jan 27, 2011
  14. santosh hs

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Jean-Michel Pichavant <> wrote:

    >Python is easy to learn, I'm not sure it's possible to write a bad book
    >about it.

    Yes, it is. I can name two:

    Deitel: Python How to Program
    Perl to Python Migration
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "Programming language design is not a rational science. Most reasoning
    about it is at best rationalization of gut feelings, and at worst plain
    wrong." --GvR, python-ideas, 2009-03-01

    Aahz, Feb 14, 2011
  15. santosh hs

    Guest

    On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:09:31 AM UTC+8, sant wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
    > reference for beginner to start from novice

    A great up to date beginner's book/course is "Start Here: Python 3x Programming, Made Fun and Easier." It introduces software design and makes everything very simple to understand. http://www.quantumsight.mobi

    Jody

    , Jul 27, 2013