Which is the best free UML tool ?

Tintin92

Hi,

Which is the best free UML tool ?

Is this UML tool free ?
Is this UML tool UML2 compliant ?
May I genere Java code from UML with this UML tool ?
May I reverse from Java code to UML with this UML tool ?

Do you use this UML tool ?
Do you like this UML tool ?

Tintin92

~kurt

Tintin92 said:
Hi,

Which is the best free UML tool ?

No idea what is the best, but I've been using umbrello at home and it
is good enough.
Is this UML tool free ?

Open source free and $free.
Is this UML tool UML2 compliant ?
May I genere Java code from UML with this UML tool ?
May I reverse from Java code to UML with this UML tool ?

I'll let you read up on it.
Do you use this UML tool ?
Yep.

Do you like this UML tool ?

Works for me.

- Kurt

Harry

Hi,

Saying which is the best is really personal perspective.

In fact, I did use StarUML.

Harry

StarUML

Is this UML tool free ?
- Yes

Is this UML tool UML2 compliant ?
- Yes

May I genere Java code from UML with this UML tool ?
- Yes

May I reverse from Java code to UML with this UML tool ?
- Yes

Do you use this UML tool ?
- Yes

Do you like this UML tool ?
- Sure

Lew

Harry said:
> top-posted

Please, please do not top-post.

ArgoUML is good.

The UML tool built in to NetBeans is supposed to be good.

--
Lew

A: Because it makes the responses hard to follow.
Q: Why is it bad?
A: Placing responses above the quoted material.
Q: What is top-posting?

Lew

Harry said:
top-posted

Please, please do not top-post.

ArgoUML is good.

The UML tool built in to NetBeans is supposed to be good.

--
Lew

A: Because it makes the responses hard to follow.
Q: Why is it bad?
A: Placing responses above the quoted material.
Q: What is top-posting?

fmberisha

Please, please do not top-post.

That's a principle that some people like and respect and the other
don't, and, of course, disregard.
How about another one: Do not try to impose your principles upon
others?
Or how about yet another: Do not change a sensible topic to an
insensible one?
More? Do not post to correct other people's errors in typing or
spelling.
Do not post in stream when the content doesn't help one of the posters
(mainly the OP).
Do not post off topic. Do not contribute to an unfriendly environment
in a newsgroup.

I try my best to respect the above.
I make this exception because, it seems to me,
one encounters just the opposite too often browsing this newsgroup,
by the same group of people,
one of distinguished members of which is the quoted poster.
I guess this one was one too much for me.

fmberisha

Joe Attardi

How about another one: Do not try to impose your principles upon
others?
Hi! Welcome to Usenet. You must be new here. And if not, you should know
better. ;)

This has been an established rule of etiquette in Usenet groups for as
long as I can remember. I used to resist it too, and got pulled into
many flame wars, but there's little point.

Besides, consider this. Some people use newsreaders that don't display
discussions by thread. In such a newsreader, it's difficult to follow a
conversation that is top posted because the responses come before the
questions.

Lew

Joe said:
Hi! Welcome to Usenet. You must be new here. And if not, you should know
better. ;)

This has been an established rule of etiquette in Usenet groups for as
long as I can remember. I used to resist it too, and got pulled into
many flame wars, but there's little point.

Regarding fmberisha's points, I love it when people try to sound high minded
as their justification for being rude and to resist suggestions to improve
their communication.

I requested nicely to Harry that they not top-post, since as Joe says, "This
has been an established rule of etiquette in Usenet groups for as long as I
can remember." It helps Harry because now their posts can be clearer and
attract a better caliber of respondent. It was clear that Harry was
relatively new to UseNet, so a gentle insertion of a hint as to Netiquette
should be helpful.

You would rather no one help Harry, and sling mud at those who do. Fine, just
don't disingenuously stand on supposedly altruistic principle whilst promoting
poor manners and ineffective communication.

RedGrittyBrick

That's a principle that some people like and respect and the other
don't, and, of course, disregard.
How about another one: Do not try to impose your principles upon
others?

To me Lew's "Please please ..." seems polite. Your "Do not ..." seems
rather abrupt and impolite.

I'd rather not be left ignorant of any faux-pas I committed in the eyes
of the people from whom I seek help.

Daniel Dyer

I requested nicely to Harry that they not top-post, since as Joe says,
"This has been an established rule of etiquette in Usenet groups for as
long as I can remember." It helps Harry because now their posts can be
clearer and attract a better caliber of respondent. It was clear that
Harry was relatively new to UseNet, so a gentle insertion of a hint as
to Netiquette should be helpful.

Lew, how about adding a link to a definition of "top-posting" when you
make these requests? I'm not convinced that the people you are advising
always understand what you are commenting on. It might result in more
people heeding your advice.

Dan.

~kurt

That's a principle that some people like and respect and the other
don't, and, of course, disregard.
How about another one: Do not try to impose your principles upon
others?

This is more than just someone's principle.

His advice is good advice. Here is why.

When you mix top posting and bottom posting, it can be very difficult
following a thread when searching an archive. You need to choose
one method, and stick with it.

Bottom posting makes more sense most of the time because you can easily
snip unnecessary parts of the quote, and respond directly below. This
doesn't work so well (or at all) with top posting. So, bottom posting
it is.
More? Do not post to correct other people's errors in typing or
spelling.

Spelling is nitpicking, but pointing out good netiquette is the only
way people (myself included back when I discovered Usenet) learn. There
is nothing wrong with it when done nicely. Just like pointing out a quick
Google search will give you the answer you are looking for.

- Kurt

Lew

Daniel said:
Lew, how about adding a link to a definition of "top-posting" when you
make these requests? I'm not convinced that the people you are advising
always understand what you are commenting on. It might result in more
people heeding your advice.

I did better than that - I posted an explanation actually in the message about
five messages upthread. I'll repeat it here.

And for anyone encountering an unfamiliar term, whether it's "top-posting" or
"SSCCE" or "GIYF": GIYF.

--
Lew

A: Because it makes the responses hard to follow.
Q: Why is it bad?
A: Placing responses above the quoted material.
Q: What is top-posting?

Richard Reynolds

Lew wrote

A: Because it makes the responses hard to follow.
Q: Why is it bad?
A: Placing responses above the quoted material.
Q: What is top-posting?

good!
very
hee hee!

cyprian

Hi,

Saying which is the best is really personal perspective.

In fact, I did use StarUML.

- Yes

- Sure

i used staruml but it used to give me problems and i got turned off
with it.