Which is the perl questions ng for beginners

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by V S Rawat, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. V S Rawat

    V S Rawat Guest

    Hi all,

    I accessed this ng today.

    I have written some small programs in perl, and would like to learn
    more.

    I have installed ActivePerl 5.8.8 build 817 on my winxpsp2, with
    Crimson Editor 3.70

    Some queries:
    1. Which ng to sub to ask my beginner level queries without disturbing
    the veterans.

    2. What other free resources would be useful for me.

    3. Any good sites related to it, and having sample scripts?

    Thanks.
    --
    Rawat

    V S Rawat, Jul 4, 2006

  2. V S Rawat <> wrote:

    > I have written some small programs in perl,

    You wrote them in Perl, not in perl.

    perldoc -q difference

    What's the difference between "perl" and "Perl"?

    > and would like to learn
    > more.

    Learning more about "anything" should start with reading the
    FAQ for "anything". :)

    The Perl FAQs are part of the standard perl distribution, figure
    out where they got installed on your system and consult them often.

    The "perldoc" program, that also ships with the perl distribution,
    can look things up for you in the Perl FAQs:

    perldoc -q learn

    Is Perl difficult to learn?

    Where can I learn about CGI or Web programming in Perl?

    Where can I learn about object-oriented Perl programming?

    > 1. Which ng to sub to ask my beginner level queries without disturbing
    > the veterans.

    You can ask those here!

    Beginner level questions don't (or shouldn't anyway) disturb the veterans.

    Questions that are easily answered by searching the docs that
    come with perl _do_ disturb the veterans though. :)

    So if you've spent ten minutes searching the standard docs and
    haven't found your answer, then post away!

    > 2. What other free resources would be useful for me.

    The most authoritative resource on Perl are the docs that come with perl.

    At least scan the Table Of Contents:

    perldoc perltoc

    Apart from that, http://learn.perl.org/ is a good place to start.

    > 3. Any good sites related to it, and having sample scripts?

    There is a list of Perl (and perl) mailing lists at:

    http://lists.perl.org/

    (note the "beginners" list there.)

    See also the Perl Monks:

    http://www.perlmonks.com/

    And the Posting Guidelines for this newsgroup, which are posted
    here frequently.

    Happy Perling!

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jul 4, 2006

  3. "V S Rawat" <> writes:

    > 1. Which ng to sub to ask my beginner level queries without disturbing
    > the veterans.

    This group is appropriate for all levels. The best way to avoid stepping on
    anyone's toes is to read *and follow* the posting guidelines which are posted
    here twice weekly.

    > 2. What other free resources would be useful for me.

    <http://learn.perl.org>
    <http://perlmonks.org>

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 4, 2006
  4. V S Rawat

    Ben Bullock Guest

    "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    > "V S Rawat" <> writes:
    >
    >> 1. Which ng to sub to ask my beginner level queries without disturbing
    >> the veterans.

    > This group is appropriate for all levels. The best way to avoid stepping
    > on
    > anyone's toes is to read *and follow* the posting guidelines which are
    > posted
    > here twice weekly.

    Unfortunately there are a lot of people here who seem to hope that someone
    will step on their toes so that they'll get an excuse to harass yet another
    newbie poster. I've never seen such a newsgroup for picking on and flaming
    newbies as this one.

    --
    Warning: Please be aware that the above poster "if an infiltrator working
    with the FBI to destroy criticicism of the US State Department-sponsored

    Ben Bullock, Jul 4, 2006
  5. V S Rawat

    Uri Guttman Guest

    BB> Unfortunately there are a lot of people here who seem to hope that
    BB> someone will step on their toes so that they'll get an excuse to
    BB> harass yet another newbie poster. I've never seen such a newsgroup for
    BB> picking on and flaming newbies as this one.

    whenever someone flames the regulars for flaming newbies who don't read
    the guidelines, i have one suggestion. YOU respond as kindly as you want
    to ALL the newbies. we will handle the rest. of course you won't take it
    on because only the regulars know perl well enough and understand why
    the guidelines help. so until you are helping all those who can't help
    themselves, please go code in python. in fact python.com is just the
    place for you!

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Jul 4, 2006
  6. Ben Bullock <> wrote:

    > "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    >> "V S Rawat" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> 1. Which ng to sub to ask my beginner level queries without disturbing
    >>> the veterans.

    >> This group is appropriate for all levels. The best way to avoid stepping
    >> on
    >> anyone's toes is to read *and follow* the posting guidelines which are
    >> posted
    >> here twice weekly.

    > Unfortunately there are a lot of people here who seem to hope that someone
    > will step on their toes so that they'll get an excuse to harass yet another
    > newbie poster. I've never seen such a newsgroup for picking on and flaming
    > newbies as this one.

    A great cause of the consternation stems from exactly this sort
    of comment. Newbie at *what*? Newbie at Perl or Newbie at Usenet?

    I hardly every see Perl newbies picked on and flamed.

    I very often see Usenet newbies picked on and flamed.

    An unqualified "newbie" is a useless (and harmful) use of the term.

    Tad McClellan, Jul 4, 2006
  7. V S Rawat

    Joe Smith Guest

    V S Rawat wrote:

    > I have installed ActivePerl 5.8.8 build 817 on my winxp

    Don't forget the built-in documentation.

    Start -> All Programs -> ActivePerl -> Documentation

    Joe Smith, Jul 5, 2006