WHICH J2ME Development Tool?

Talal Itani

Hello,

After researching the J2ME development tools, I finally decided on NetBeans
and I downloaded it today, with the mobility pack. I found NetBeans be very
powerful, yet I am just starting with Java. NetBeans overwhelmed me, even
with the simple NetBeans-generated "Hello World" MIDLet. I need a simpler
and less powerful development tool. Which development tool do you use for
J2ME? Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
T.I.

Sundar

Hello,

After researching the J2ME development tools, I finally decided on NetBeans
and I downloaded it today, with the mobility pack. I found NetBeans be very
powerful, yet I am just starting with Java. NetBeans overwhelmed me, even
with the simple NetBeans-generated "Hello World" MIDLet. I need a simpler
and less powerful development tool. Which development tool do you use for
J2ME? Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
T.I.

These links might help you choose the IDE...

http://www.microjava.com/articles/J2ME_IDE_Comparison.pdf
http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/29233
http://www.mobilephonedevelopment.com/archives/26
http://antenna.sourceforge.net/

-Sundar
http://heysundar.blogspot.com

Sundar

Hello,

After researching the J2ME development tools, I finally decided on NetBeans
and I downloaded it today, with the mobility pack. I found NetBeans be very
powerful, yet I am just starting with Java. NetBeans overwhelmed me, even
with the simple NetBeans-generated "Hello World" MIDLet. I need a simpler
and less powerful development tool. Which development tool do you use for
J2ME? Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
T.I.

Also this link...
http://eclipseme.org/

-Sundar
http://heysundar.blogspot.com

David Kerber

To the OP: Have you tried a plain text editor? That's how I started
out in java...

If he's overwhelmed by netbeans, I think Eclipse would be even worse. I
found Netbeans to be somewhat more intuitive than Eclipse when I was
deciding on an IDE, but needed some of the additional capabilities of
Eclipse.

ranjan.niraj

Hi,
Why don't you just use the KToolbar utility which comes with the
Java Wireless Toolkit. You'll also find good documentation with it..
you'd be able to learn it completely, and start writing code, just
with the documentation that comes with it.

Its fairly rudimentary.. doesn't even have a text editor.. but being
new to Java, that's precisely why I like it.. I too was overwhelmed by
Netbeans, being used to programming on linux using a command line
interface.

Hope it helps,
-Niraj

David N. Welton

Talal said:
Hello,

After researching the J2ME development tools, I finally decided on NetBeans
and I downloaded it today, with the mobility pack. I found NetBeans be very
powerful, yet I am just starting with Java. NetBeans overwhelmed me, even
with the simple NetBeans-generated "Hello World" MIDLet. I need a simpler
and less powerful development tool. Which development tool do you use for
J2ME? Thank you very much.

You can't get much simpler than Hecl for J2ME development. It's very
clear and concise, and also has a slightly shorter development cycle
because there is no compile step.

http://www.hecl.org

--
David N. Welton