which java version on PCs?

patrick

Do most people who already have a jre installed have the latest 1.6 version
or do u think most would still be on 1.5 or less?

Im wondering what minimum version to require on for my free download java
application.

If very few have 1.6 it would be slower/tedious to force them install 1.6

TIA

Joshua Cranmer

patrick said:
Do most people who already have a jre installed have the latest 1.6 version
or do u think most would still be on 1.5 or less?

Im wondering what minimum version to require on for my free download java
application.

If very few have 1.6 it would be slower/tedious to force them install 1.6

TIA

1. Do not multipost. It is very bad for several reasons, as any number
of guides can easily tell you.

When it comes to JREs, there is no real reason why any end-user should
not be using Java 6; anything Java 1.3 or before is completely
unacceptable, as they are not supported, and Java 1.4 is nearing
end-of-life.

Generally, it is safe to assume that whoever is running you application
is using at least Java 1.4, and more often Java 5/6. I would bite the
bullet and start using Java 6 as the minimum version. If they don't have
it, your application is as good a time to force them to upgrade as any
other.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

patrick said:
Do most people who already have a jre installed have the latest 1.6 version
or do u think most would still be on 1.5 or less?

Im wondering what minimum version to require on for my free download java
application.

If very few have 1.6 it would be slower/tedious to force them install 1.6

A lot of people run old Java versions.

If you want your app to be widely used and there are no need for
features in newer versions, then you should go for 1.5 - possible
even 1.4.2, but 1.5 is 3 years old now, so it would be reasonable
to expect.

Arne

patrick

Thanks for the respones.

1. I will multipost when i think it is sensible to do so.
After 4 hours there was no response on com.lang.java.help (and still no
response today) so I then posted here. It makes sense to post somewhere
there is a likelyhood of responses such as here.

2. I am inclined to go with Arnes advice and stick with jre1.5 I will lose
a lot of potential users if I force them to download an extra 13MB .They may
abandon or get confused in the process.

Lew

patrick said:
Thanks for the respones [sic].

1. I will multipost when i think it is sensible to do so.
Arrogant.

After 4 hours there was no response on com.lang.java.help [sic] (and still no
Impatient.

response today) so I then posted here. It makes sense to post somewhere
there is a likelyhood of responses such as here.

Not true. Multiposting only irritates the people who would help you. Your
rudeness even more so. Don't you realize it's the same people reading both
groups?
2. I am inclined to go with Arnes advice and stick with jre1.5 I will lose
a lot of potential users if I force them to download an extra 13MB .They may
abandon or get confused in the process.

Yet you ignored, nay, excoriated Joshua's advice.

Do not multipost. How about you read the FAQ for these two (related) groups,
and the online material regarding netiquette before you go all prima donna on
us, hm?

Andrew Thompson

patrick

It is arrogant to give clearly unnecessary lectures on multiposting.

Lew said:
patrick said:
Thanks for the respones [sic].

[...]

Eric Sosman

patrick wrote On 10/19/07 04:47,:
Thanks for the respones.

1. I will multipost when i think it is sensible to do so.

Fine; there are few enforceable rules here. There are,
however, widely-accepted norms of "good conduct," and you
do yourself no favors by departing from them too vigorously.
After all, you're looking for help -- and if you make the
potential helpers angry at you, what effect do you suppose
that has on the quantity and quality of help you'll receive?
After 4 hours there was no response on com.lang.java.help (and still no
response today) so I then posted here.

Usenet is not a chat room. Not only is the propagation
irregular, but the participants are on no particular schedule
either. We read when we feel like it, we read only the posts
we feel like reading, and we respond to only a tiny fraction
of those posts. (Yes, "tiny" -- otherwise, the entire Net
would sink under the weight of replies to just one post.)

My own reasons for not answering? Simple: I didn't have
the data you asked for. I suspect *nobody* has the data you
asked for, and that it would take several man-years and a
substantial outlay of money to get the data -- which would
be out of date before you got it. With the question as you
asked it, you could only expect to get anecdotes and/or
silence, the latter being more informative.

You need to ask better questions. Oh, and to exercise
more patience.

On those rare occasions when you feel the need to re-
issue a query that has languished (and the occasions had
better be rare, in view of the first point above), at least
preface the re-posting with an explanation: "I asked this
a few days ago on alt.swedish.chef but the only replies I
got were meatball recipes, so I'm trying here." This gives
the reader two useful pieces of information: First, that
he's not being suckered into posting to an already-bifurcated
thread, and second, that a question he may have skipped a
few days ago is still pending and may warrant a second look.
(Or not; as I said earlier, it's all voluntary.)
It makes sense to post somewhere
there is a likelyhood of responses such as here.

If all you want is response volume, post to porn groups,
music-piracy groups, conspiracy-theory groups, and so on.
You'll get all the volume you could possibly want, including
some really lucrative investment advice to help defray the
cost of all those "enhancement" pills.
2. I am inclined to go with Arnes advice and stick with jre1.5 I will lose
a lot of potential users if I force them to download an extra 13MB .They may
abandon or get confused in the process.

... and you will lose a lot of potential helpers if you
get into their killfiles. If four hours of silence disturbed
you so, how would you react to being ignored altogether?

patrick

jre 1.6 dynamically bundled if jre is needed and a minimum version to run of
jre1.5
The two posters on the topic understood my problem as stated and gave
their views which I found useful and to the point.
That was enough for me to make a decision. Arne's in particular.
patrick

Daniel Pitts

patrick said:
Thanks for the respones.

1. I will multipost when i think it is sensible to do so.
After 4 hours there was no response on com.lang.java.help (and still no
response today) so I then posted here. It makes sense to post somewhere
there is a likelyhood of responses such as here.
As an alternative to multiposting, replying to yourself in a cross post
is a good way to expand the audience. This keeps the threads connected,
and gives you what you want.

Andrew Thompson

Daniel said:
As an alternative to multiposting, replying to yourself in a cross post
is a good way to expand the audience. This keeps the threads connected,
and gives you what you want.

A 'reply to' x-post is a far better strategy. I have done
that myself (without complaint from other contributors).

I would usually go the extra step of adding at the very top, WTE
"Note: x-posted to comp.lang.java.programmer & c.l.j.help
with follow-ups set to c.l.h.help only. Please set follow-ups
as you see fit."

Though some people object to any 'follow-up to' being set,
and others might set the follow-ups to silly (troll, or entirely
off-topic) groups.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Steve Sobol

As an alternative to multiposting, replying to yourself in a cross post
is a good way to expand the audience. This keeps the threads connected,
and gives you what you want.

Patrick,

Expecting a response within four hours from a forum where 100% of the
people are VOLUNTEERING information is stupid. If you want answers, in a
specific time frame, ESPECIALLY within a few hours, either do a better job
of searching for the answers on your own, or pay someone.

No one is obligated to an SLA on Usenet.

Roedy Green

Not true. Multiposting only irritates the people who would help you. Your
rudeness even more so. Don't you realize it's the same people reading both
groups?

Dear O.P.

In the Java groups the nearly all the people who help with question
monitor all the groups. It helps to keep questions in slots to make
them easier to find and to use the appropriate vocabulary in
answering. You answer in a quite a different way for the same question
posted in comp.lang.java.help than comp.lang.java.databases.

Further I suspect you don't know the difference between crossposting
(mildly wicked in the Java group) and multiposting (Bush evil).

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/crossposting.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/multiposting.html

Roedy Green

If very few have 1.6 it would be slower/tedious to force them install 1.6

I tend to go for 1.5 since for:each and generics are so appealing.
Nothing in 1.6 is a must have for most projects.