Which magazine or membership you recommend me to subscribe or joinfor Java or OO?

Shawn

Hi,

My company benefits include certain amount of money each year for
joining membership or subscribing magazines. Could you give me some
recommendations for Java programming or Object-oriented related?

I am a commuter. So reading magazines in a train is very good for me. In
addition, I found that printed material is more quality-guaranteed,
while googled material sometimes is too many, and quality varies.

Thank you very much.

Oliver Wong

Shawn said:
Hi,

My company benefits include certain amount of money each year for
joining membership or subscribing magazines. Could you give me some
recommendations for Java programming or Object-oriented related?

I am a commuter. So reading magazines in a train is very good for me. In
addition, I found that printed material is more quality-guaranteed,
while googled material sometimes is too many, and quality varies.

I haven't used their service myself, but O'Reilly has a service which
you pay for monthly, and you get access to all their books.

http://safari.oreilly.com/

- Oliver

Shawn

Thank you all. I have subscribed Communications of ACM. $99 per year. It
is great: printed magazines, thousands of free online books from Safari
and O'reilly, thousands of free e-courses. So basically, all the IT
books are available to me now.

I cannot believe that I have got all the IT books for $99, in addition
to printed magazines sent to home.

Chris Uppal

Shawn said:
Thank you all. I have subscribed Communications of ACM. $99 per year. It
is great: printed magazines, thousands of free online books from Safari
and O'reilly, thousands of free e-courses. So basically, all the IT
books are available to me now.

Just for interest. Do you mean that you have joined the ACM, or is it that
subscribing to Communications of the ACM brings with it some (all?) of the
benefits of ACM membership ?

BTW, if one of the benefits is a free subscription to ACM "Queue"[*] then you
should get that too -- it's more interesting than CACM ;-)

(Disclaimer: I'm an ACM member myself; but only because I was "blackmailed"
into it -- they don't allow non-members free access to their immensely valuable
archive of papers)

-- chris

[*] Which it probably is -- the ACM seem to be roughly as reluctant to hand out
copies of Queue as evangelical Christians are to hand out Bibles...

Shawn

Chris said:
Just for interest. Do you mean that you have joined the ACM, or is it that
subscribing to Communications of the ACM brings with it some (all?) of the
benefits of ACM membership ?
I understand your question. It is a little confusing in terms of
benefits. To answer your question, through paying $99 annual fee, I have
got all the benefits except the digital library. I have Communications
of ACM, free online books, free online courses and free ACM "Queue".

BTW, if one of the benefits is a free subscription to ACM "Queue"[*] then you
should get that too -- it's more interesting than CACM ;-)
Really? I wait to see. (Maybe I can access it now. But just too many
material for me now...)

Daniel Dyer

I haven't used their service myself, but O'Reilly has a service which
you pay for monthly, and you get access to all their books.

http://safari.oreilly.com/

If you join the ACM, you get Safari access as one of the benefits. It's
not the full range of books, but considering the relative cost of ACM
membership and a year's Safari subscription, as well as the other ACM
benefits (magazines, online courses, etc.), it's quite a good deal.

Dan.

Daniel Dyer

Hi,

My company benefits include certain amount of money each year for
joining membership or subscribing magazines. Could you give me some
recommendations for Java programming or Object-oriented related?

I am a commuter. So reading magazines in a train is very good for me. In
addition, I found that printed material is more quality-guaranteed,
while googled material sometimes is too many, and quality varies.

Thank you very much.

If you can spend the money on books rather than magazines, this might be
more productive. Due to the time constraints of publications, most
articles in technology magazines (particularly monthly ones) are old news
by the time they hit the shelves. You can often find similar content
online in a more timely fashion.

In the UK there is a weekly trade publication called "Computing", but it
seems to me that most people who read that have either managed to obtain a
free subscription or are buying it just for the job ads.

If you want to join professional organisations, take a look at the ACM,
IEEE and any local organisations in your country. I chose to join the ACM
over the IEEE and the BCS (British Computer Society) because they seemed
more in tune with what I wanted from such an organisation, but you may
have different preferences (and there's nothing to stop you from joining
more than one). If you want to spend the money (over and above the
standard membership fee), the ACM Digital Library is a very valuable
resource.

Dan.

Daniel Dyer

If you want to join professional organisations, take a look at the ACM,

Sorry, I posted this before reading the rest of the thread, didn't realise
you had already joined. Looks like I'm not going to get the free ACM
calculator for snaring another victim...

Dan.

hiwa

Shawn said:
Chris said:
Just for interest. Do you mean that you have joined the ACM, or is it that
subscribing to Communications of the ACM brings with it some (all?) of the
benefits of ACM membership ?
I understand your question. It is a little confusing in terms of
benefits. To answer your question, through paying $99 annual fee, I have
got all the benefits except the digital library. I have Communications
of ACM, free online books, free online courses and free ACM "Queue".

BTW, if one of the benefits is a free subscription to ACM "Queue"[*] then you
should get that too -- it's more interesting than CACM ;-)
Really? I wait to see. (Maybe I can access it now. But just too many
material for me now...)
small note:
1. ACM Queue free version is not printed materials. It is PDFs.
2. ACM Digital Library access requires separate subscription, $99 a
year, which happens to be same as ACM Professional Membership
subscription rate.

Patricia Shanahan

hiwa said:
Shawn said:
Chris said:
[...]

Also, before paying for Digital Library, check whether you already have
it through employer or school. For example, I don't currently pay for
Digital Library because I get it through the UCSD library.

Patricia

Chris Uppal

Shawn said:
To answer your question, through paying $99 annual fee, I have
got all the benefits except the digital library. I have Communications
of ACM, free online books, free online courses and free ACM "Queue".

Right. Thanks for the info.

-- chris