    addition, I found that printed material is more quality-guaranteed,
    while googled material sometimes is too many, and quality varies.

    Thank you very much.

    Shawn, Nov 6, 2006

  2. Shawn

    Oliver Wong Guest

    Re: Which magazine or membership you recommend me to subscribe or join for Java or OO?

    "Shawn" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My company benefits include certain amount of money each year for
    > joining membership or subscribing magazines. Could you give me some
    > recommendations for Java programming or Object-oriented related?
    >
    > I am a commuter. So reading magazines in a train is very good for me. In
    > addition, I found that printed material is more quality-guaranteed,
    > while googled material sometimes is too many, and quality varies.

    I haven't used their service myself, but O'Reilly has a service which
    you pay for monthly, and you get access to all their books.

    http://safari.oreilly.com/

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Nov 6, 2006

  3. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Re: Which magazine or membership you recommend me to subscribe orjoin for Java or OO?

    Thank you all. I have subscribed Communications of ACM. $99 per year. It
    is great: printed magazines, thousands of free online books from Safari
    and O'reilly, thousands of free e-courses. So basically, all the IT
    books are available to me now.

    I cannot believe that I have got all the IT books for $99, in addition
    to printed magazines sent to home.

    Shawn, Nov 6, 2006
  4. Shawn

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Shawn wrote:

    > Thank you all. I have subscribed Communications of ACM. $99 per year. It
    > is great: printed magazines, thousands of free online books from Safari
    > and O'reilly, thousands of free e-courses. So basically, all the IT
    > books are available to me now.

    Just for interest. Do you mean that you have joined the ACM, or is it that
    subscribing to Communications of the ACM brings with it some (all?) of the
    benefits of ACM membership ?

    BTW, if one of the benefits is a free subscription to ACM "Queue"[*] then you
    should get that too -- it's more interesting than CACM ;-)

    (Disclaimer: I'm an ACM member myself; but only because I was "blackmailed"
    into it -- they don't allow non-members free access to their immensely valuable
    archive of papers)

    -- chris

    [*] Which it probably is -- the ACM seem to be roughly as reluctant to hand out
    copies of Queue as evangelical Christians are to hand out Bibles...

    Chris Uppal, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Chris Uppal wrote:

    > Just for interest. Do you mean that you have joined the ACM, or is it that
    > subscribing to Communications of the ACM brings with it some (all?) of the
    > benefits of ACM membership ?

    I understand your question. It is a little confusing in terms of
    benefits. To answer your question, through paying $99 annual fee, I have
    got all the benefits except the digital library. I have Communications
    of ACM, free online books, free online courses and free ACM "Queue".

    > BTW, if one of the benefits is a free subscription to ACM "Queue"[*] then you
    > should get that too -- it's more interesting than CACM ;-)

    Really? I wait to see. (Maybe I can access it now. But just too many
    material for me now...)

    Shawn, Nov 6, 2006
  6. Shawn

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    Re: Which magazine or membership you recommend me to subscribe or join for Java or OO?

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:28:22 -0000, Oliver Wong <>
    wrote:

    > "Shawn" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My company benefits include certain amount of money each year for
    >> joining membership or subscribing magazines. Could you give me some
    >> recommendations for Java programming or Object-oriented related?
    >>
    >> I am a commuter. So reading magazines in a train is very good for me. In
    >> addition, I found that printed material is more quality-guaranteed,
    >> while googled material sometimes is too many, and quality varies.

    > I haven't used their service myself, but O'Reilly has a service which
    > you pay for monthly, and you get access to all their books.
    >
    > http://safari.oreilly.com/

    If you join the ACM, you get Safari access as one of the benefits. It's
    not the full range of books, but considering the relative cost of ACM
    membership and a year's Safari subscription, as well as the other ACM
    benefits (magazines, online courses, etc.), it's quite a good deal.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org

    Daniel Dyer, Nov 6, 2006
  7. Shawn

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:39:38 -0000, Shawn <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My company benefits include certain amount of money each year for
    > joining membership or subscribing magazines. Could you give me some
    > recommendations for Java programming or Object-oriented related?
    >
    > I am a commuter. So reading magazines in a train is very good for me. In
    > addition, I found that printed material is more quality-guaranteed,
    > while googled material sometimes is too many, and quality varies.
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    If you can spend the money on books rather than magazines, this might be
    more productive. Due to the time constraints of publications, most
    articles in technology magazines (particularly monthly ones) are old news
    by the time they hit the shelves. You can often find similar content
    online in a more timely fashion.

    In the UK there is a weekly trade publication called "Computing", but it
    seems to me that most people who read that have either managed to obtain a
    free subscription or are buying it just for the job ads.

    If you want to join professional organisations, take a look at the ACM,
    IEEE and any local organisations in your country. I chose to join the ACM
    over the IEEE and the BCS (British Computer Society) because they seemed
    more in tune with what I wanted from such an organisation, but you may
    have different preferences (and there's nothing to stop you from joining
    more than one). If you want to spend the money (over and above the
    standard membership fee), the ACM Digital Library is a very valuable
    resource.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org

    Daniel Dyer, Nov 6, 2006
  8. Shawn

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    Re: Which magazine or membership you recommend me to subscribe or join for Java or OO?

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 22:19:10 -0000, Daniel Dyer <"You don't need it">
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:39:38 -0000, Shawn <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My company benefits include certain amount of money each year for
    >> joining membership or subscribing magazines. Could you give me some
    >> recommendations for Java programming or Object-oriented related?
    >>
    >> I am a commuter. So reading magazines in a train is very good for me. In
    >> addition, I found that printed material is more quality-guaranteed,
    >> while googled material sometimes is too many, and quality varies.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.

    > If you want to join professional organisations, take a look at the ACM,

    Sorry, I posted this before reading the rest of the thread, didn't realise
    you had already joined. Looks like I'm not going to get the free ACM
    calculator for snaring another victim...

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org

    Daniel Dyer, Nov 6, 2006
  9. Shawn

    hiwa Guest

    Shawn wrote:
    > Chris Uppal wrote:
    >

    > > Just for interest. Do you mean that you have joined the ACM, or is it that
    > > subscribing to Communications of the ACM brings with it some (all?) of the
    > > benefits of ACM membership ?
    > >

    > I understand your question. It is a little confusing in terms of
    > benefits. To answer your question, through paying $99 annual fee, I have
    > got all the benefits except the digital library. I have Communications
    > of ACM, free online books, free online courses and free ACM "Queue".
    >

    > > BTW, if one of the benefits is a free subscription to ACM "Queue"[*] then you
    > > should get that too -- it's more interesting than CACM ;-)
    > >

    > Really? I wait to see. (Maybe I can access it now. But just too many
    > material for me now...)

    small note:
    1. ACM Queue free version is not printed materials. It is PDFs.
    2. ACM Digital Library access requires separate subscription, $99 a
    year, which happens to be same as ACM Professional Membership
    subscription rate.

    hiwa, Nov 7, 2006
  10. Re: Which magazine or membership you recommend me to subscribe orjoin for Java or OO?

    hiwa wrote:
    > Shawn wrote:
    >> Chris Uppal wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just for interest. Do you mean that you have joined the ACM, or is it that
    >>> subscribing to Communications of the ACM brings with it some (all?) of the
    >>> benefits of ACM membership ?
    >>>

    >> I understand your question. It is a little confusing in terms of
    >> benefits. To answer your question, through paying $99 annual fee, I have
    >> got all the benefits except the digital library. I have Communications
    >> of ACM, free online books, free online courses and free ACM "Queue".
    >>

    >>> BTW, if one of the benefits is a free subscription to ACM "Queue"[*] then you
    >>> should get that too -- it's more interesting than CACM ;-)
    >>>

    >> Really? I wait to see. (Maybe I can access it now. But just too many
    >> material for me now...)

    > small note:
    > 1. ACM Queue free version is not printed materials. It is PDFs.
    > 2. ACM Digital Library access requires separate subscription, $99 a
    > year, which happens to be same as ACM Professional Membership
    > subscription rate.

    Also, before paying for Digital Library, check whether you already have
    it through employer or school. For example, I don't currently pay for
    Digital Library because I get it through the UCSD library.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Nov 7, 2006
  11. Shawn

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 01:27:51 -0000, hiwa <> wrote:

    > Shawn wrote:
    > 1. ACM Queue free version is not printed materials. It is PDFs.

    I get the printed copy for free.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk

    Daniel Dyer, Nov 7, 2006
  12. Shawn

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Shawn wrote:

    > To answer your question, through paying $99 annual fee, I have
    > got all the benefits except the digital library. I have Communications
    > of ACM, free online books, free online courses and free ACM "Queue".

    Right. Thanks for the info.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Nov 7, 2006