Which Object Database would you recommend for cross platformapplication?

Thomas Ploch

Hello folks,

I am currently developing an open source Event Managment software
(events in real-life, like concerts, exhibitions etc. :) ) using wx for
the GUI, and I need an Object database. Since this is the first time I
actually need doing this, I wondered if anybody here could recommend
one. It can be fairly simple. It doesn't need threading support and will
only host one client (the application, but I am thinking about making
this database accessible via the web, but this is still far in the
future), although the database might get big (around 1GiB). It should be
available for linux, mac os and windows.

I looked into ZODB, but thats totally overloaded for my purpose. I
looked into Durus (a re-implementation of ZODB, but without this
overloaded stuff, but the documentation is very thin). Both of them
don't really appeal.

So I wondered if any of you could recommend one that (more or less) best
fits the described conditions.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

johnf

Thomas said:
[...]

This answer does not really answer your question. But have you looked a
dabo (www.dabodev.com). It doesn't support the web (yet) but you said
that's in the furture. Dabo was built for this type of app. Dabo supports
Postgres,MsSQL,MySQL,Firebird, and SQLite. Non of the DB's are what I'd
call an object database but is that a real requirement? BTW the first 4
DB's can support 1GB and more.

Johnf

Bruno Desthuilliers

Thomas Ploch a écrit :
Hello folks,

I am currently developing an open source Event Managment software
(events in real-life, like concerts, exhibitions etc. :) ) using wx for
the GUI, and I need an Object database.

"need" ? Why ? (I don't mean you shouldn't use one, just questionning
the "need")...
Since this is the first time I
actually need doing this, I wondered if anybody here could recommend
one. It can be fairly simple. It doesn't need threading support and will
only host one client (the application, but I am thinking about making
this database accessible via the web, but this is still far in the
future),

If you plan on making it accessible TTW, then you do need support for
concurrent access.
although the database might get big (around 1GiB). It should be
available for linux, mac os and windows.

I looked into ZODB, but thats totally overloaded for my purpose. I
looked into Durus (a re-implementation of ZODB, but without this
overloaded stuff, but the documentation is very thin). Both of them
don't really appeal.

The ZODB is quite easy to use, and it's probably the most used Python
OODB actually. I have no experience with Durus, but it looked quite
close when I last browsed the project page.

Else you may want to look at Metakit, KirbyBase etc
http://wiki.python.org/moin/DatabaseInterfaces
So I wondered if any of you could recommend one that (more or less) best
fits the described conditions.

sqlite +SQLAlchemy.

Yes, I know, that's not an object DB.