    1. Advertising

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Alan D-W Guest

    Alan D-W, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 2, 2003
  3. "Nico Schuyt" <> skrev i meddelandet
    news:3f544a74$0$28912$...
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Which one do you prefer?
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbilder.html
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbildertest.html

    > Both pages: Main menu very hard to read. Color scheme and layout are,

    ehhh,
    > not so attractive :-(

    Do you mean the background colour or which colour are you talking about? Do
    you find the colour too bright or too dark?
    > Margins are too wide.

    As a matter of fact
    I have seen other pages as www.google.com and www.yahoo.com which have
    margins which are approximately as wide as the ones on
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbilder.html
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbildertest.html

    - -
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    >>> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbilder.html
    >>> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbildertest.html

    >> Both pages: Main menu very hard to read. Color scheme and layout
    >> are, ehhh, not so attractive :-(

    > Do you mean the background colour or which colour are you talking
    > about? Do you find the colour too bright or too dark?

    It's the combination of blue and yellow I think. Start with a more neutral
    background.
    Remove those blue borders from the pictures

    >> Margins are too wide.

    > As a matter of fact
    > I have seen other pages as www.google.com and www.yahoo.com which have
    > margins which are approximately as wide

    Google has so little content. In your case it's a waist of screen.

    Other suggestions:
    - Try a sans serif font like Arial.
    - Place the description below the pictures.
    - Center the pictures when there are more next to each other. Let single
    pictures float left or right in the text.
    - Remove the image map. Slows down the site. Nobody recognises it as an
    image map (I didn't notice untill I looked at the coding).
    - Use div boxes instead of tables for more flexibility and accessibility.
    - Improve the quality of the pictures.

    Cheers, Nico
    PS But first of all do something about that menu :):
    Välkommen Benvenuti Welcome Willkommen |*Hjälp*| |*Hyresförmedling*|
    |*Översättning*| |*Språkundervisning*| |*Tolkning*| |*Förmedling av varor*|
    |*Vill du hyra ut din semesterbostad som är belägen i Sverige?*| |*Info om
    Sverige på italienska*| |*Boende i Italien*| |*Lägenheter, hus, rum i
    Italien*| |* Var i Italien vill du bo på semester ? *| | *Vad kostar
    hyresförmedlingen*| |* Italiens regioner, huvudorter, miljöer*| | *Parterna
    i hyresavtalet*| |* Bilder på hyresvärdar och hyresgäster*| |Bergarna*|
    |*Kullarna*| |*Vulkanerna*| |*Sandkusten*| |*Havet*| |*Sjöarna*| |*Älvarna*|
    |*Öarna*| |*Slätterna*| |*Stenstränderna*|
    Nico Schuyt, Sep 2, 2003
  5. "Nico Schuyt" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Nico Schuyt wrote

    > >> Both pages: Main menu very hard to read. Color scheme and layout
    > >> are, ehhh, not so attractive :-(

    > > Do you mean the background colour or which colour are you talking
    > > about? Do you find the colour too bright or too dark?

    > It's the combination of blue and yellow I think. Start with a more neutral
    > background.
    > Remove those blue borders from the pictures

    Blue and yellow are used in the Swedish flag
    http://flagspot.net/flags/se.html

    > - Remove the image map. Slows down the site. Nobody recognises it as an
    > image map (I didn't notice untill I looked at the coding).

    May-be I could explain on the page that it is an image map.
    > - Use div boxes instead of tables for more flexibility and accessibility.
    > - Improve the quality of the pictures.

    I scanned the pictures, I am not so sure that I could improve them so much.
    They would have probably looked like much better if they had been by a
    digital camera.

    > Cheers, Nico
    > PS But first of all do something about that menu :):
    > Välkommen Benvenuti Welcome Willkommen |*Hjälp*| |*Hyresförmedling*|
    > |*Översättning*| |*Språkundervisning*| |*Tolkning*| |*Förmedling av

    varor*|
    > |*Vill du hyra ut din semesterbostad som är belägen i Sverige?*| |*Info om
    > Sverige på italienska*| |*Boende i Italien*| |*Lägenheter, hus, rum i
    > Italien*| |* Var i Italien vill du bo på semester ? *| | *Vad kostar
    > hyresförmedlingen*| |* Italiens regioner, huvudorter, miljöer*| |

    *Parterna
    > i hyresavtalet*| |* Bilder på hyresvärdar och hyresgäster*| |Bergarna*|
    > |*Kullarna*| |*Vulkanerna*| |*Sandkusten*| |*Havet*| |*Sjöarna*|

    |*Älvarna*|
    > |*Öarna*| |*Slätterna*| |*Stenstränderna*|

    Well, actualy, II am not sure I understand what you did not like in the
    menu.

    - -

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt skrev
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>> Nico Schuyt wrote

    >> It's the combination of blue and yellow I think. Start with a more
    >> neutral background.
    >> Remove those blue borders from the pictures

    > Blue and yellow are used in the Swedish flag
    > http://flagspot.net/flags/se.html

    Nothing wrong with a flag or a logo in those colors but you can't make the
    whole page like that. Besides, neither your blue, nor the yellow are the
    colors of the flag.
    If the Swedish flag is important, so use it on a neutral background (soft
    gray for example) and apply the blue color of the flag for headings (H1, H2
    etc). Maybe the yellow as hover color in normal links.

    >> - Remove the image map. Slows down the site. Nobody recognises it as an
    >> image map (I didn't notice untill I looked at the coding).

    > May-be I could explain on the page that it is an image map.

    That is highly impractical :)

    >> - Use div boxes instead of tables for more flexibility and
    >> accessibility.

    You missed this one :)

    >> - Improve the quality of the pictures.

    > I scanned the pictures, I am not so sure that I could improve them so
    > much. They would have probably looked like much better if they had
    > been by a digital camera.

    A scanner should do the job. Save the scan as .BMP (probably default) and
    convert it with a picture editor to a properly compressed JPG.
    Upload a scan to your site for some further advice if you like.

    >> PS But first of all do something about that menu :):
    >> Willkommen |*Hjälp*| |*Hyresförmedling*|
    >>> *Kullarna*| |*Vulkanerna*| |*Sandkusten*| |*Havet*| |*Sjöarna*|
    >>> *Älvarna*| *Öarna*| |*Slätterna*| |*Stenstränderna*|

    > Well, actualy, II am not sure I understand what you did not like in
    > the menu.

    It's difficult to read with all that *||*. And too many options in the menu.
    Split it up in a main menu and submenus. Use CSS-buttons instead of the *||*

    Cheers, Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Sep 3, 2003
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Phrederik Guest

    To be honest, there isn't anything I like about the page myself.

    - Headings are too big
    - Colour choice could be better. Definately too many different coloured
    backgrounds on your links.
    - Margins are too wide
    - That "||" menu thing is awful! Why do SOME links have a different colour
    background?
    - That image map is not obvious. Each section should be differenciated
    somehow. Why can't I click on the fruit on the table? It's just as obvious
    as the bowl next to it.
    - Picture quality is lacking. Not the detail of the picture, but just how it
    fits with the page. The extraneous stuff around the picture should be
    trimmed out.
    - Counters are not professional at all. If you want a counter, put it
    someplace for you to see, not everyone else.

    "Nico Schuyt" <> wrote in message
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Nico Schuyt skrev

    > >> It's the combination of blue and yellow I think. Start with a more
    > >> neutral background.
    > >> Remove those blue borders from the pictures

    > > Blue and yellow are used in the Swedish flag
    > > http://flagspot.net/flags/se.html

    > Nothing wrong with a flag or a logo in those colors but you can't make the
    > whole page like that. Besides, neither your blue, nor the yellow are the
    > colors of the flag.
    > If the Swedish flag is important, so use it on a neutral background (soft
    > gray for example) and apply the blue color of the flag for headings (H1,

    H2
    > etc). Maybe the yellow as hover color in normal links.
    >
    > >> - Remove the image map. Slows down the site. Nobody recognises it as an
    > >> image map (I didn't notice untill I looked at the coding).

    > > May-be I could explain on the page that it is an image map.

    > That is highly impractical :)
    >
    > >> - Use div boxes instead of tables for more flexibility and
    > >> accessibility.

    > You missed this one :)
    >
    > >> - Improve the quality of the pictures.

    > > I scanned the pictures, I am not so sure that I could improve them so
    > > much. They would have probably looked like much better if they had
    > > been by a digital camera.

    > A scanner should do the job. Save the scan as .BMP (probably default) and
    > convert it with a picture editor to a properly compressed JPG.
    > Upload a scan to your site for some further advice if you like.
    >
    > >> PS But first of all do something about that menu :):
    > >> Willkommen |*Hjälp*| |*Hyresförmedling*|

    > > Well, actualy, II am not sure I understand what you did not like in
    > > the menu.

    > It's difficult to read with all that *||*. And too many options in the

    menu.
    > Split it up in a main menu and submenus. Use CSS-buttons instead of the

    *||*

    Phrederik, Sep 3, 2003
  8. "Phrederik" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> skrev i meddelandet
    > To be honest, there isn't anything I like about the page myself.

    To be honest I do not like many other pages which I visit either.

    > - Headings are too big

    Big headings also have some advantages, they may help people to find it more
    difficult to read a text, usually elderly users

    Have a look at www.gazzetta.it They have much text and still large margins.
    The same works for www.yahoo.com for example.
    > - That "||" menu thing is awful! Why do SOME links have a different colour
    > background?
    > - That image map is not obvious. Each section should be differenciated
    > somehow. Why can't I click on the fruit on the table? It's just as obvious
    > as the bowl next to it.

    Because the fruit is not on sale.
    > - Picture quality is lacking. Not the detail of the picture, but just how

    it
    > fits with the page. The extraneous stuff around the picture should be
    > trimmed out.
    > - Counters are not professional at all. If you want a counter, put it
    > someplace for you to see, not everyone else.

    I did not make the counter myself. I got it from Telia which offers web
    hosting.

    Best regards

    - -

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/siena.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 3, 2003
  9. "Nico Schuyt" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Nico Schuyt skrev

    > >> It's the combination of blue and yellow I think. Start with a more
    > >> neutral background.
    > >> Remove those blue borders from the pictures

    > > Blue and yellow are used in the Swedish flag
    > > http://flagspot.net/flags/se.html

    > Nothing wrong with a flag or a logo in those colors but you can't make the
    > whole page like that. Besides, neither your blue, nor the yellow are the
    > colors of the flag.

    I just meant that blue and yellow are popular in Sweden.

    > >> - Remove the image map. Slows down the site. Nobody recognises it as an
    > >> image map (I didn't notice untill I looked at the coding).

    > > May-be I could explain on the page that it is an image map.

    > That is highly impractical :)
    >
    > >> - Use div boxes instead of tables for more flexibility and
    > >> accessibility.

    > You missed this one :)

    Sorry!
    I am not sure what you mean with div boxes, if you explain it further I can
    try to answer. Tables anyway are shown correctly even by browsers which do
    not understand CSS..
    > >> - Improve the quality of the pictures.

    > > I scanned the pictures, I am not so sure that I could improve them so
    > > much. They would have probably looked like much better if they had
    > > been by a digital camera.

    > A scanner should do the job. Save the scan as .BMP (probably default) and
    > convert it with a picture editor to a properly compressed JPG.
    > Upload a scan to your site for some further advice if you like.

    I do not know how I did the job when I scanned that photo. Nowadays I
    usually save as TIF and after adjusting the photo I save it as JPG
    > >> PS But first of all do something about that menu :):
    > >> Willkommen |*Hjälp*| |*Hyresförmedling*|

    > > Well, actualy, II am not sure I understand what you did not like in
    > > the menu.

    > It's difficult to read with all that *||*. And too many options in the

    menu.
    > Split it up in a main menu and submenus. Use CSS-buttons instead of the

    *||*

    Yes, I may divide the menu in several sections

    - -

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 3, 2003
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 3, 2003
  11. Big headings also have some advantages, they may help people to find it more
    difficult to read a text, usually elderly users

    I have to correct the sentence which is above which I write before.
    I meant:
    Big headings also have some advantages, they may help people who find it

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 3, 2003
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Phrederik Guest

    > > To be honest, there isn't anything I like about the page myself.
    >
    > To be honest I do not like many other pages which I visit either.
    > >
    > > - Headings are too big

    > Big headings also have some advantages, they may help people to find it

    more
    > difficult to read a text, usually elderly users

    TOO big doesn't help anyone.

    > > - Colour choice could be better. Definately too many different coloured
    > > backgrounds on your links.
    > > - Margins are too wide.

    > Have a look at www.gazzetta.it They have much text and still large

    margins.
    > The same works for www.yahoo.com for example.

    Nope. These pages have no margins. The fit the whole width of the window.
    Your page has about 25% blank space on each side!

    > > - That "||" menu thing is awful! Why do SOME links have a different

    colour
    > > background?
    > > - That image map is not obvious. Each section should be differenciated
    > > somehow. Why can't I click on the fruit on the table? It's just as

    obvious
    > > as the bowl next to it.

    > Because the fruit is not on sale.

    And how do I know that the bowl IS for sale?

    You are making a website for STRANGERS to visit. You can assume NOTHING
    about the site when you create it.

    > > - Picture quality is lacking. Not the detail of the picture, but just

    how
    > it
    > > fits with the page. The extraneous stuff around the picture should be
    > > trimmed out.
    > > - Counters are not professional at all. If you want a counter, put it
    > > someplace for you to see, not everyone else.

    > I did not make the counter myself. I got it from Telia which offers web
    > hosting.

    It still doesn't need to be on your page, does it? If so, move your host. Of
    course, if this is just a temporary location it's not a big deal.
    Phrederik, Sep 3, 2003
  13. "Phrederik" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> skrev i meddelandet
    > > > To be honest, there isn't anything I like about the page myself.

    > > To be honest I do not like many other pages which I visit either.
    > > >
    > > > - Headings are too big

    > > Big headings also have some advantages, they may help people to find it

    > more
    > > difficult to read a text, usually elderly users

    > TOO big doesn't help anyone.

    The question is whether everyone thinks that they are too big...
    What about www.lavilla.se ? How big is the title?
    > > > - Colour choice could be better. Definately too many different

    coloured
    > > > backgrounds on your links.
    > > > - Margins are too wide.

    > > Have a look at www.gazzetta.it They have much text and still large

    > margins.
    > > The same works for www.yahoo.com for example.

    > Nope. These pages have no margins. The fit the whole width of the window.
    > Your page has about 25% blank space on each side!

    I see them on the monitor as they have margins. How do you count this 25%?
    The margins I have set are 10% on each side.

    > > > - That "||" menu thing is awful! Why do SOME links have a different

    > colour
    > > > background?
    > > > - That image map is not obvious. Each section should be differenciated
    > > > somehow. Why can't I click on the fruit on the table? It's just as

    > obvious
    > > > as the bowl next to it.

    > > Because the fruit is not on sale.

    > And how do I know that the bowl IS for sale?

    If you read the text in Swedish which is also to be completed, you can read
    that I offer the intermediation if you want to buy objects which are made in
    ceramics. Is the fruit made of ceramics? The page is in Swedish, so I assume
    that it is visited by people who speak Swedish. By the way, I am going to
    add pages about Internet sale of the same products in ceramics.
    I am writing again the page www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com

    - -

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 5, 2003