Which one is best Python or Java for developing GUI applications?

Discussion in 'Python' started by srinivasan srinivas, May 5, 2009.

  1. srinivasan srinivas, May 5, 2009

  2. srinivasan srinivas

    Paul Rubin Guest

    srinivasan srinivas <> writes:
    > Could you tell me does Python have any advantages over Java for the development of GUI applications?

    Yes.

    Paul Rubin, May 5, 2009

  3. srinivasan srinivas

    Paul Rudin Guest

    Paul Rubin <http://> writes:

    > srinivasan srinivas <> writes:
    >> Could you tell me does Python have any advantages over Java for the
    >> development of GUI applications?

    > Yes.

    Clearly c.l.p needs to adopt the SNB <http://cam.misc.org.uk/snb>
    convention :)

    Paul Rudin, May 5, 2009
  4. Paul Rubin a écrit :
    > srinivasan srinivas <> writes:
    >> Could you tell me does Python have any advantages over Java for the development of GUI applications?

    > Yes.

    Indeed.

    Bruno Desthuilliers, May 5, 2009
  5. srinivasan srinivas

    Leon Guest

    I think there are two advantages over java for GUI application

    First, python is more productive and has very rich third modules
    support,
    you can check the demo of wxPython.

    Second, you can develop native-looking GUI

    BTW: I'm developing GUI application using python and wxPython.

    Second,

    Leon, May 5, 2009
  6. Could you list down those advantages??

    >> Could you tell me does Python have any advantages over Java for the development of GUI applications?

    > Yes.

    Indeed.

    Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter http://beta.cricket.yahoo.com

    srinivasan srinivas, May 5, 2009
  7. srinivasan srinivas

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:26 AM, Paul Rudin <> wrote:
    > Paul Rubin <http://> writes:
    >
    >> srinivasan srinivas <> writes:
    >>> Could you tell me does Python have any advantages over Java for the
    >>> development of GUI applications?

    >> Yes.

    > Clearly c.l.p needs to adopt the SNB <http://cam.misc.org.uk/snb>
    > convention :)

    Surely you have forgotten the comedy style of the language's namesake,
    which makes that rule completely inadmissible! ;P

    Cheers,
    Chris
    --
    http://blog.rebertia.com

    Chris Rebert, May 5, 2009
  8. srinivasan srinivas

    David Cook Guest

    On 2009-05-05, srinivasan srinivas <> wrote:

    > Could you tell me does Python have any advantages over Java for the
    > development of GUI applications?

    You don't have to choose between them. You can program Swing applications
    in Jython. And Jython is just a jar that you can bundle in another jar for
    distribution just like any other Java jar. You will have to understand Java
    code to learn Swing, though. I suggest also looking into the
    Swing Application Framework and Netbeans.

    However, I would look at PyQt first (if the license requirements are OK).
    PyQT is well thought out, consistent, and featureful. And then maybe try
    wxPython if you need a more liberal license. wxPython is clunky and
    inconsistent, but gets the job done.

    Dave Cook

    David Cook, May 8, 2009