    better, which edition then? Web edition, enterprise edition, etc...

    Please share with me your OS choice for ASP.NET 2.0 development and the
    reasons behind it? Thanks very much in advance.

    Ethan V, Jun 26, 2006

  2. Hi Ethan,

    XP Pro is just fine.

    For a developer, having a machine with lots of RAM and a good processor is
    more important than the expensive server OS.

    Ken
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jun 26, 2006

  3. Ethan V

    Ethan V Guest

    Thanks for replying Ken.

    In my case, since I have an MSDN subscription, I can use either. I am
    leaning toward Windows Server 2003 because that is more closely resemble
    production environment. Given a choice you would still choose Win XP Pro?

    Thanks.

    Ethan V, Jun 26, 2006
  4. re:
    > Given a choice you would still choose Win XP Pro?

    Definitely not.

    Just the fact that you have to go through contortions to work on more than
    one website at a time in XP should be enough to steer clear of it, if the choice
    to work with W2K3 is available.

    Add to that the different ASP.NET accounts
    (NETWORK SERVICE vs. Machinename\ASPNET)
    ....and you have a couple of very strong reasons to use W2K3.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 26, 2006
  5. Hi Ethan,

    Server 2003 would be fine for development. Although I use XP at home, I used
    Server on a contract with no issues. If you've got it free, go with the Web
    server SKU.

    Ken
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jun 26, 2006
  6. Ethan V

    Ethan V Guest

    Thanks guys. I will go with Server 2003 then. Have a super day.

    Ethan V, Jun 27, 2006