Which protocol/communication method for heavyweight server process

Harald Kirsch

Looking at RMI, Corba, SOAP, MPI, etc. I wonder which is the best
way to interface a heavyweight server process. With "heavyweight" I
mean a process which takes several minutes to start up, uses 2GB
of RAM and of course likes to have 100% CPU time. I think such
a beast should reside on its own dedicated machine and it shall only
accept one request at a time, do the computation and send back the
result. Access control, queueing and the like shall be done on a
front-end machine.

Now, which method whould be best for the communication between the
front-end (e.g. an application server) and the compute server?

Thanks,
Harald Kirsch.

Michael Borgwardt

Harald said:
Looking at RMI, Corba, SOAP, MPI, etc. I wonder which is the best
way to interface a heavyweight server process. With "heavyweight" I
mean a process which takes several minutes to start up, uses 2GB
of RAM and of course likes to have 100% CPU time. I think such
a beast should reside on its own dedicated machine and it shall only
accept one request at a time, do the computation and send back the
result. Access control, queueing and the like shall be done on a
front-end machine.

Now, which method whould be best for the communication between the
front-end (e.g. an application server) and the compute server?

Well, given those specifications, neither overhead not portability
are an issue, so I'd choose the one that's the easiest and cleanest
to write. I don't know anything about MPI (isn't it rather low-level?),
but I'd choose RMI among the others.